NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-08-2020, 05:34 PM

Default Custom Clemente Check Display Finally!

Hello all,
After obtaining a Roberto Clemente Check a few years ago, and some strategic negotiations with my wife for wall space, I have finally been able to create a custom framed shadow box display that is a nice reflection of Roberto Clemente. I just got photos showing the pieces prior to being being completed and the completed product. Keeping my fingers crossed as it is being shipped to me for delivery tomorrow. Needless to say once my wife saw it, I have been granted more wall space..... for a few more Clemente Displays.

Marty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRAMED CLEMENTE DISPLAY 2.jpg (72.3 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg FRAMEDCLEMENTE DISPLAY.jpg (20.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:01 PM

Thatís awesome Marty!!! I should have picked up one of his checks before the price went up. Iíd love to see more displays when theyíre done.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:44 AM
Mikeknapp

Default 1971 Pirates Action Photos

I learned of this set from this thread so I thought I would share it here. Before this thread I had only seen the Willie Stargell in my collection. I had no idea what it was prior to seeing the Clemente in this thread. 16 cards comprise the 1971 Pirates Action Photos set. It is pretty tough judging by the PSA population reports which show the Clemente as having the highest population at 10. There are no complete sets in the set registry in either PSA or SGC. I recently purchased a lot of 15 of these cards. Ironically the only card missing was the Stargell. This is now the only complete set I have ever seen. I can understand the rarity. They measure 4.5" X 7.125" and are condition sensitive as the paper stock is thin. It is essentially similar to that of magazine pages. Thankfully these managed to survive and good shape with the Clemente being in the best condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group_a_1971_action_photos.jpg (80.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg group_b_1971_action_photos.jpg (80.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg group_c_1971_action_photos.jpg (81.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg group_d_1971_action_photos.jpg (81.2 KB, 147 views)

1971 Pirates Ticket Quest:
81 of 153 regular season stubs (53%), 14 of 14 1971 ALCS, NLCS , and World Series stubs (100%)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Last edited by 71buc; 08-10-2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:58 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Awesome pick up Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I learned of this set from this thread so I thought I would share it here. Before this thread I had only seen the Willie Stargell in my collection. I had no idea what it was prior to seeing the Clemente in this thread. 16 cards comprise the 1971 Pirates Action Photos set. It is pretty tough judging by the PSA population reports which show the Clemente as having the highest population at 10. There are no complete sets in the set registry in either PSA or SGC. I recently purchased a lot of 15 of these cards. Ironically the only card missing was the Stargell. This is now the only complete set I have ever seen. I can understand the rarity. They measure 4.5" X 7.125" and are condition sensitive as the paper stock is thin. It is essentially similar to that of magazine pages. Thankfully these managed to survive and good shape with the Clemente being in the best condition.
That IS a SUPER tough set. I think I posted the uncut sheet containing the full set I picked up at the national about 3 years ago.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:37 AM

Great pickup Mike!!! If thatís the one Iím thinking of, I had previously had that on my watchlist. Congrats
Old 08-10-2020, 09:42 PM

Just, wow. Congrats on the '60 Bazooka boxes Howard. That is pretty amazing.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:43 PM

Those 71's look sharp and in great condition from here.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:09 PM
Mikeknapp

Certainly not in the same league as Howard's Bazooka box but I'm happy nonetheless he to add this 1971 Bazooka box sans the tabs to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bazooka.jpg (78.8 KB, 102 views)

81 of 153 regular season stubs (53%), 14 of 14 1971 ALCS, NLCS , and World Series stubs (100%)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Last edited by 71buc; 08-15-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Certainly not in the same league as Howard's Bazooka box but I'm happy nonetheless he to add this 1971 Bazooka box sans the tabs to my collection.
Nice pickup Mike, are you going to try and get the numbered version also?
Old 08-15-2020, 10:23 PM
Mikeknapp

Thanks, I just wanted an example from 1971 for my collection. I'll stick with this one. I have a lot of 1971 Clemente issues . Ironically I don't have a topps version.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:38 PM

Default article

Sorry, I guess this is a distraction from the thread intent, but it's such a great read I thought it worth sharing. Sent to me by a new email friend I made a purchase from recently. It's from a few years ago but I hadn't come across it before:

https://lithub.com/the-greatest-forg...n-of-all-time/
Old 09-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Thanks for sharing the article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
Sorry, I guess this is a distraction from the thread intent, but it's such a great read I thought it worth sharing. Sent to me by a new email friend I made a purchase from recently. It's from a few years ago but I hadn't come across it before:

https://lithub.com/the-greatest-forg...n-of-all-time/
Great read. Interesting, I certainly had heard about and read about the feat before, but never stopped to contemplate the enormity of it!

So fitting that it was Clemente!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:09 PM

New member with my first posting to this outstanding site. Excited to share these 3 panels but just noticed this is an older thread.... I'll share anyway as they are very cool. Anyone else into this '72 Puerto Rican winter league sticker set?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72 PR clemente.jpg (72.1 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by cornhusker; 09-03-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhusker View Post
New member with my first posting to this outstanding site. Excited to share these 3 panels but just noticed this is an older thread.... I'll share anyway as they are very cool. Anyone else into this '72 Puerto Rican winter league sticker set?
Nice panels, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:23 PM

Welcome cornhusker. Older thread, yes, but there are a handful still following it routinely.

Very nice panels. I don't know much about the proper set of sticker cards, other than it is a bigger set than I thought it was once I looked into it further. There seem to be more of the recognizable names of bona fide MLB stars floating around than lessor known names. I do like the giant Clemente in panels.

I don't have any panels but do have an uncut sheet, from back when it seemed like the sheet was fairly scarce. Since PSA enlarged its slabs to accommodate items of that size, more of the sheets have come out in the open. Mine is still raw.

I can't recall if it was discussed before, but can anyone say whether, was it that the giant Clemente was issued in panels and that's why there are more of them than sheets? Making the sheets an aberration of sorts?
Old 09-04-2020, 06:34 AM

Michael,

I have seen a few uncut sheets, but mostly have seen the panels offered. The way the panels have the lines in them, I would assume that they were meant to be cut down further? Or maybe at one time they were folded. Maybe Howard would know. Does your uncut sheet have those lines present?
Old 09-04-2020, 06:57 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Best of my recollection....

The Clemente was issued in packs as 9 separate stickers/stamps - making up 1 of a couple of "puzzles" from the set. You will note on the back there are 9 individual numbers 201-209. They have been available as full sheets for a long time - not sure where/how the sheets originated. It was only when PSA started grading the " 3 stamp panels" that I recall seeing the 3 stamp panels. My educated guess is that people who had full sheets cut them into panels of 3 as that is the only way PSA would grade them at the time. The sheets are not easy, but findeable - considerably more expensive since PSA started grading them.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info. A full Clemente is on my "want list" but I feel fortunate to have the strips. Pure speculation on my part but, the 3 card panels were folded to the size of one sticker (like an Hassan tripple folder) at some point in its life - probably to fit into a pack as some sort of insert bonus? The team panels are the same way. fold lines are not visible on Clemente full sheets that I've seen. I doubt anyone would cut down a sheet then fold it up. Possibly the full sheet was some sort of mail in program? I've never seen the team panels or Clemente panels cut down to singles so I'm assuming strips of 3 are as small as were produced? Team strips are usually cut vertically while Clemente cut horizontally. Fun set since it was printed in Spain and distributed in Puerto Rico making it a bit scarce in the states I guess. I'd welcome any reference info anyone may have on this particular set - I've just been stumbling around picking up what I can here and there. Would love to talk to the person who brought in hundreds of sets to PA

Last edited by cornhusker; 09-04-2020 at 08:21 AM.