NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Anyone going to Fenway on Friday?(and playoff talk)

Posted By: john/z28jd

Im planning on going to Fenway Park on friday for game 3 and was wondering if anyone else from the board is going? Never been there before so would like some input about the area,parking,eating,etc or even meet up with anyone going.

I cleared this topic with the Moderator dude first and i agreed that this is a good thread for any and all playoff talk instead of a bunch of threads,just to keep it neat and organized.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

I`m about an hour and half south of Boston but I will be in front of my tube for this one.I`m not sure of the start time but a friend gave me this tip a couple years ago. The metahh maids stop writing tickets around 4:00 P.M during the week so we paahked the cahh on Landsdowne St. fed the meter 2 bucks went in and saw the game no problem,that was regular season though.Pahhking will set you back around $30.00 or more get there early,or you can pahhk in Quincy and ride the "T" in for around $5 or $6 round trip.You can get a "Rem dahg" a.k.a "monstahh dahg" for around $7 to $9 bucks I forget which.The Cask-n-Flagon or Boston Beer Works are good spots to hit before the game if you like some suds.Go Sox the "RED" ones that is!Have you ever been to Fenway before before? Should be a great time for ya.

ORTIZ M.V.P!!!

Old 10-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info and no ive never been to Fenway altho last week i was at Camden Yards during the Sunday Orioles/Red Sox game and it was at least 80% Red Sox fans(and sold out) so they were calling it Fenway Park South.Ive watched enough games on nesn to be able to understand Jerry Remy and i now know the proper pronunciation for Sox(sawks) and Millar (Ma-laa) so i should fit in with my Joisey accent

Old 10-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

John:

Fenway is a great place to watch a game. When my folks used to takes us for summer vacations on Cape Cod, we'd make one trip to Boston and sit in the bleachers to watch the Sox play. I was on a business trip to Boston in 1982 and a couple of my co-workers and I decided to just try our luck on opening day. We got seats on the fair side of Pesky's Pole and Yaz hit a home run right over our heads, but the White Sox still won the game.

As long as you're wearing your Pirates hat and jacket the Boston fans won't care you're from Jersey. They'll probably feel so sorry for a Pirates fan, someone might even buy you a "be-ah."

Kevin

Old 10-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

bring something to put on the seat, otherwise your ass will hurt after the game. those seats are the least comfortable things in the world.

I would park somewhere about a 15-20 minute walk from the park. Then you can go back to near the area where you parked after the game (it will probably be a 4pm game) for dinner, and then grab your car. Don't park near the park, as it will be a real pain to get out. So leave yourself plenty of time, if possible, before and after the game...make a whole day out of it.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Fenway IS a great place to watch a game. Hopefully I'll get to see the Astros play there on t.v., but meanwhile I'll settle for tickets to all three games against the Braves...I'm psyched - look for me in row 12 on behind Astros 3rd base for game 2, row 20 behind home for game 5

Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

I too will be at Fenway for the Friday game. As a season ticket holder I have tickets for all the WS/Playoff games. Unfortuneatly I've been delegated to row 22 of the bleachers. But at least I'll be there.

I would stay away from parking anywhere near Fenway for a weekday game, parking at night and on the weekend is bad enough. During the week all the regular garages are full up with working folks. Your best bet would be to take the T in. During the Yankee series the police presence was 3X normal and they had some of the roads (such as Landsdowne St.) closed for parking.

The best cheap food is "The sausage king" who is on Landsdowne street outside the wall. It's across the street from the Cask and Flagen which is THE place but it will be mobbed. There are a number of other places on Yawkey (you need a ticket to get in) way but it's very crowded. If you want a nice meal you'd be better off eating furhter away from the park and then walking to the game.

I'm sure it will be a great game!

GO SOX

Bob

Old 10-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Work in Boston and live in the western suburbs, but as I get older I find going to the game is just not worth the effort and it's too chaotic and stressful. TV (sound down) with commentary provided by the two and only Joe and Jerry on the radio. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. Those of you from Boston know what I mean.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Fenway is definitely worth the effort - it is the greatest experience in baseball, and as close to "vintage" as we can get live these days.

Enjoy it while you can! (Same for Wrigley)

Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Administrator

I'll be in section 5 of the grandstand seats,2 section to the right of the pesky pole in foul territory.Thanks for the advice everyones given.Its going to be a day trip so there wont be much time to do anything.Im about a 4 1/2 hour ride away and plan on getting there about 2 hours before game time and leaving right after.Should be a great time and im really looking forward to it.

Eventho ive been to more major league games in a given year than this season,this year when its all said and done,ill have been to the same amount of stadiums ive been to before this year

pre-2005 Comiskey Park(the old one),Royals Stadium,Veterans Stadium,PNC Park and Yankme Stadium

2005 RFK,Camden Yards,Fenway,Citizens Bank Park(new Vet in Philly) and the aforementioned Yankme Stadium

I highly recommend PNC,Camden Yards and Citizens Bank Park,all 3 are very nice.If you have a chance to go to any of them,you really should take the oppurtunity to.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg

I agree with Scott. Fenway is worth every bit of effort you can muster up. Thank God they're staying there. Been there seven times this year. Wish I was a season ticket holder. The only thing I miss though is the old trough....but if you're ever feeling sentimental, you can see a good replica of it on the deleted scenes section of Fever Pitch, the Red Sox version.

Go Sox!!

By the way, any of you guys going to the show coming up in November or are there any other clubs in the area to get together?

Greg

Old 10-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mybuddy

1916 ???!!!???

What about 1917 ...

Heinie Zimm, Heinie Zimm,
Chasing Collins home.
I'm a faster man than you are, Heinie Zimm.