NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-16-2020, 05:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Will PSA Correct This Mistake???

I know that approaching PSA about removing a (wrongfully given) PD qualifier from one of your cards leads down a long and winding road to the middle of Frustration Junction, but what happens when they unquestionably mislabeled a card? Will they change the label for you (at no cost)?

Here is the card in question. An otherwise beautiful (great corners and centering) Mike Schmidt rookie card that clearly has a large stain on it (I upped the contrast, etc., to really bring it out), muddying up the wonderful 'rookie' (guess they forgot about his 1972 card) Ron Cey...

1973schmidtrc615PSA8PDa.jpg1973schmidtrc615PSA8PDb.jpg

The (very old) label has it as a print defect (PD) and not as a stain (ST). Does anyone have experience in this area? The card is available for trade, as I'm not looking to sell it or anything, but at some point I need the label to be accurate. Right now, a normal person would think, "Okay, if that's not a stain, then something must've happened with the ink during the printing process, so there's nothing really amiss." But, it is truly a stain (unless I am somehow wildly missing something), as you can see it on back as well.

On a side note, the seller was quite forthright with me. He didn't try to convince me it was anything other than a stain, and we chatted and I made an offer on it knowing full well what I was in for.

If I approach PSA with this (and they actually respond), are they going to say something to the effect of, "Well, if it says 'PD' on it, then clearly the grader recognized that area as a print defect, so we won't change it." Or will they actually see that the card was LITERALLY mislabeled and change it to a PSA 8 ST??

Any hope of a proper resolution?? I just want accuracy.

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, I'm not looking for any sort of regrade. I just want the 'PD' to be correctly updated to 'ST.'

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Email them with a request for Mechanical Error and see what they say. None of us can answer this for you.
They might require you to pay the reholder fee, or they might do it for you for free. Shouldn't make any difference to the value.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:39 AM
J0hn Collin$

Yikes - that's pretty misleading. Interesting though - let us know what the response is if you send it back to PSA.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Well, lookie here!!

PSA actually took my issue seriously and worked to fix the label in a timely manner. Not going to lie, I put a lot of effort into imploring them to do the right thing, but it went relatively smoothly and now the card has been 'corrected'...

1973schmidtrc615PSA8ST.jpg

Of course, the 'value' was hurt by this undertaking, because I assume if forced to decide, collectors would much rather own a card with a 'natural' 'PD' than an 'ST,' but now it is honestly graded (and looking much better in the new slab)...and pretty sweet otherwise, I do declare.

So the answer to my original question, "Will PSA Correct This Mistake???" is a resounding, "Yes, Ma'am!!!"

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 02-06-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:11 PM
Jim McKinley

Default Impressed....

I am impressed they took your seriously. I am 5-10 emails in with no response asking PSA to correct an error on some reprint cards they graded at real.

Any tips for how you got them to respond?
Old 02-08-2021, 04:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The basis of my e-mails was to really drive home the point that the blatant mistake really made them look bad (especially with all of the negative attention they're getting with the trimming scandals), plus I employed the term "literally" over and over again to point out that the label was literally wrong. That it wasn't simply an opinion that the card didn't deserve a 'PD' qualifier, but that it was literally stained. Don't know if those tactics will work in your situation, but they were certainly helpful (I believe) with mine. Just stress how bad it makes them look, and that more and more people on the chat boards are really getting frustrated by the fact PSA doesn't seem to care about the ridiculous mistakes they seem to regularly make.

Good luck!!

Casey Stengel

Old 02-08-2021, 04:17 PM
J0hn Collin$

Must admit, I'm impressed with your resolve to get the grade right over and above having the card be worth more, LOL.

But that's a true collector right there. There is something really cool about a card you know is properly graded that ties in the card itself to the hobby and grading standards and all that - even if the card itself may not be particularly high grade. You are the "Von Clausewitz" of collecting, LOL.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-08-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:27 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Is it possible the stain that is so obvious now was a result of bad soaking or bleaching, and it didn't look like that when it was submitted?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:45 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Must admit, I'm impressed with your resolve to get the grade right over and above having the card be worth more, LOL.

But that's a true collector right there. There is something really cool about a card you know is properly graded that ties in the card itself to the hobby and grading standards and all that - even if the card itself may not be particularly high grade. You are the "Von Clausewitz" of collecting, LOL.
At some point I'm either going to trade or sell the card, so there were definitely personal benefits involved in getting them to correct it, most notably that it will save me a lot of future grief going back and forth with someone looking to get the card. Now it is what the label says it is.

On a side note, someone here was trying to trade for it (with the ridiculous, obligatory offer of commons and such) and they slipped up and very much implied that they were looking to flip it (as a 'PD' and ignoring the fact it's a stain) for a nice profit. I politely declined.

Casey Stengel

Old 02-08-2021, 04:49 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Is it possible the stain that is so obvious now was a result of bad soaking or bleaching, and it didn't look like that when it was submitted?
I really, truly doubt it, as the card looks normal in all aspects as is. There are no signs of bleaching and such. Occam's razor tells me PSA accidentally entered 'PD' instead of 'ST.'

Casey Stengel

Old 02-08-2021, 05:29 PM
J0hn Collin$

I've been surprised though to see vintage cards with milder staining than that still pull straight PSA 5's or so. To me any type of noticeable staining is not "Excellent".
Old 02-08-2021, 09:32 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Cool story and update. Tenacity wins.

I really have no experience with soaking, but I wonder if that would soak out? Seems like a water stain. I certainly wouldn't try it with THAT card...that's a very nice card. My 73 Schmidt RC has corners like razors...and is OC as hell...lol. I've always wanted to upgrade that card...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 02-09-2021, 11:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

Now how do they explain a card with a stain like that being an 8?
Old 02-09-2021, 01:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'm not a coffee stain aficionado by any means, but the card itself sans stain is nearly perfect. However, your point is definitely valid. Haven't researched it, but I imagine that most if not all PSA 8 ST cards suffer from wax/gum residue, and not from some idiot spilling his Dr. Pepper all over it while reaching for the remote.

Casey Stengel

Old 02-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Same question could be asked of this card, how can a card with multiple pen marks on the front be a "7"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5847.jpg (29.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-09-2021, 06:06 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Same question could be asked of this card, how can a card with multiple pen marks on the front be a "7"

It’s kind of deceptive - they are saying that those cards are 7 and 8 quality sans or “but for” the ink or the stain. Same way as a PSA 8 (OC) is a card that is an 8 in all but centering. (Which of course is not an 8).

Personally I think calling that Maris a 7 (MK) is bad and kind of a cop out; the “MK” is usually thought of as indicating an errant pencil mark on the back or something. Blue print on the front that is super obvious is way worse than that. To me that’s nowhere close to a NM card, I don’t care how nice the corners or surface is otherwise.

But sadly per PSA’s definition, I think it’s accurately graded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2021, 06:15 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post

But sadly per PSA’s definition, I think it’s accurately graded.

I do agree, but break the Maris card or the Schmidt card out of their cases and raw both would grade much lower, as low as Poor.

Even sadder with the Maris card is that it would rate as a "5" on the registry....should be a "1".

Just as wrong would be the Schmidt card equaling out to a "6" on the registry.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:24 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I do agree, but break the Maris card or the Schmidt card out of their cases and raw both would grade much lower, as low as Poor.

Even sadder with the Maris card is that it would rate as a "5" on the registry....should be a "1".

Just as wrong would be the Schmidt card equaling out to a "6" on the registry.
Agree. PSA qualifiers do serve a purpose, but I think they confuse more people than they enlighten anymore in 2021. For example, the most common qualifier, OC, is meant to tell a potential buyer squinting at a bad scan on ebay that "Hey, this card would be an 8 if not for the centering", instead of leaving the buyer to wonder if that card with the sharp corners is only OC, or did it get a straight PSA 5 because it has some surface wear or something else funky and hidden going on in addition to the centering problem - which of course both would totally be possible on a straight PSA 5.

What PSA was not counting on when laying things out this way 25+ years ago, was that many collectors don't like OC cards to start with - and even more will shun any type of qualified cards regardless. The qualifier might actually serve to help someone like me who may go after an otherwise "8" card with 75/25 centering, but especially with centering - many collectors never quite properly understand how it is on a sliding scale, and a card with "worse centering" (i.e. the aforementioned 5...) can get a "straight" grade while the 8, being held to a tighter standard - gets the qualifier. Then move into what we are showing here tonight, 7 and 8 grade cards with other confusing qualifiers that work just the same way as OC - and things are even worse.

It would be much more straightforward to call the Maris a 1 and the Schmidt RC a 2 or (maybe?) a 3, fully considering their worst flaws - rather than dancing around them with the qualifiers. As those cards in a normal auction will of course sell for much lower prices than anything close to a true 7 or an 8 - it just gets buyers to the point quicker.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-10-2021 at 12:48 PM.