NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Steven

Default Need help finding a color photgraph of Cobb

Hey gang:

Hope this post is in the right spot and I don't get to this neighborhood that often. I would absolutely love to find this classic photo reprinted in color, but I am not sure what I am doing. Would this photo even be reprinted in color? I'd really like to find in 11x14 or 16x20 or so. My very crude searches including eBay didn't lead me anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th[4].jpg (12.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 AM
David McDonald

Here's Graig Kreindler's interpretation.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

Purchase a hi-res copy printed on paper that you can color over. Use Graig's color-scheme to paint it yourself, or to have someone else do it for you.

Be careful who you purchase your hi-res copy from. I bought a few Conlons for a pretty penny, from a source with a website that was produced much better than the images they mail you. They do own the original negatives, so the potential is there if they ever decide to go with a good printer.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Steven

David - That is arguably my favorite Kreindler...I couldn't remember if that beauty is yours?

Scott - You overestimate any artistic ability I may have, I like the idea if I knew someone who could do it...
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

There is a guy who takes old b/w baseball photos, digitally "colorizes" them in photoshop (similar to what Scott was suggesting, but all done digitally), and sells prints on eBay and elsewhere. The name, user ID, and whether he's tackled this one or not all escape me, so this post may be pretty much useless

I know he's posted on here before though, so perhaps he'll see it and either help you out or make that his next project.

Scott, I would love to hear specifics about the print quality of the Conlon photos you spoke of. Pretty sure I know of where you're talking about getting them, but have never been able to pull the trigger at those prices, so I've not seen any of their modern prints in person. PM me if you want (once you've caught up on your sleep after last night's auction).
Old 10-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
There is a guy who takes old b/w baseball photos, digitally "colorizes" them in photoshop (similar to what Scott was suggesting, but all done digitally), and sells prints on eBay and elsewhere. The name, user ID, and whether he's tackled this one or not all escape me, so this post may be pretty much useless

I know he's posted on here before though, so perhaps he'll see it and either help you out or make that his next project.

Scott, I would love to hear specifics about the print quality of the Conlon photos you spoke of. Pretty sure I know of where you're talking about getting them, but have never been able to pull the trigger at those prices, so I've not seen any of their modern prints in person. PM me if you want (once you've caught up on your sleep after last night's auction).
Lance, you HAD to have won a few last night? I went to bed around 10:00 Pacific, so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning.

The problem with the prints we allude to is that they do not have the richness and depth of original vintage prints - not even close, in my opinion. In addition to all of my silver gel original prints, I have a few nice vintage platinum prints. I have no idea if these 'new' version platinum prints are of better relative quality than the silver gels, but I will leave other, more adventurous collectors, to run that test (I would love to hear someone disagree with me regarding the silver gels - perhaps I just got a bad batch?)

Regarding the digitally-colored Conlons - the good ones are incredible. I bet someone has already done that to the 'sliding' image.

Last edited by Runscott; 10-06-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:04 AM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

Check out this Kreindler Ty Cobb painting.

What a fantastic stunning painting of another classic Cobb image.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

Does Graig sell prints? It seems to me that would be the best way to go.

Steve B
Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

As of right now he doesn't sell prints.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Does Graig sell prints? It seems to me that would be the best way to go.

Steve B
If you read his rules, a buyer must pay 1/3 of a commissioned piece balance that goes towards purchasing certain photo rights...I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I got the impression he wouldn't even be able to do this with the way he runs things. Beautiful paintings, would love a print...