NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Default The Truly "Tough" cards

As collectors, we all know that the terms "rare' and "scarce" are often used too frequently in this hobby.

For me the truly "tough" cards are the ones that are believed to exist, however, I have yet to see them in 20 years of collecting. I'm willing to bet that many others on the board have their own "white whales" that they are chasing.

I thought starting a thread that lists our "white whales" might prove to be an entertaining thread, and hopefully, with a little bit of luck, maybe other board members can provide visual confirmation that these cards truely do exist.

Over the last few months, I have been fortunate enough to purchase three HRK catcher cards that I had never even seen before: Agnew, Price, and Tiedeman. My "white whales" are several Home Run Kisses that I have still yet to see, namely, August Fisher and Ralph Kreitz.

If anyone has a scan or image of these cards, I would love to see them! You can post a scan or email me privately at vintagecatcher@myfairpoint.net.

What are your white whales?

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 11-11-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Barry Arnold

Default tough

still longing for a Fans card and a Drum pack.
in the interim, i am pleased to have a Fan craze game and a few Fan Craze cards(recognizing that they have nothing to do with the Fans i long for )---
i also have a lovely Drum pouch with a 1910 stamp(recognizing that they didn't contain my beloved T206s).

i had heard that a person who owns a forum, which he manages quite well ,might have one of these.

best,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 11-09-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Are there Uzit packs out there? I've never seen one and would
love to. Definitely would rank high on my list.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Barry Arnold

Default uzit

there's a great picture of one on Jon Canfield's website.
i think he mentions that he has documented evidence that there are 2 and that's it.
i'd like one,too.

best,
barry
Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Jon Canfield

Barry - you are correct my friend. Here is the Uzit pack:

Disclaimer - this does not belong to me. It belongs to a very generous, albeit private collector. Extremely scarce pack.

Last edited by canjond; 11-10-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Steve Murray

1911 Bohen Zeenut.

Other than a diecut appearing in a Lipset auction a few years ago purporting to be a Bohen I've never seen one. Would like to know if a fully intact card does in fact exist.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default great question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
As collectors, we all know that the terms "rare' and "scarce" are often used too frequently in this hobby.

For me the truely "tough" cards are the ones that are believed to exist, however, I have yet to see them in 20 years of collecting. I'm willing to bet that many others on the board have their own "white whales" that they are chasing.

I thought starting a thread that lists our "white whales" might prove to be an entertaining thread, and hopefully, with a little bit of luck, maybe other board members can provide visual confirmation that these cards truely do exist.

Over the last few months, I have been fortunate enough to purchase three HRK catcher cards that I had never even seen before: Agnew, Price, and Tiedeman. My "white whales" are several Home Run Kisses that I have still yet to see, namely, August Fisher and Ralph Kreitz.

If anyone has a scan or image of these cards, I would love to see them! You can post a scan or email me privately at vintagecatcher@myfairpoint.net.

What are your white whales?
Patrick
Great question, Patrick. Only yesterday, and several times recently I have thought about when "rare" cards become not as rare anymore. The recent onlslaught of T208 Cullivans Fireside cards come to mind. Before this grouping, and the one coming in REA, I think I had seen a total of about 3-4 for sale in almost 15yrs of collecting. And 1 of those was sold twice. Now it seems as they are not as rare as I think they still are. For me it's not a particular card from a set but, as a type collector, "any" card from a few sets. A D355 Niagara Baking comes to mind too. I have seen exactly 1 for sale and didn't get it when I should have. Egan lists several in his guide so I feel very confident more will come out, but who knows when? D351 Grennan Bakery cards also come to mind. I know Dan M has a few but besides those I haven't seen any. Too bad Lew sold most of his collection as I know that is where some of those came from. I am sure I am forgetting a few and will come back when I think of them. I too feel the term "rare" is a much overused word in our hobby. I have nothing against the new, shiny collectors but when there is a manufactured 1 of 1 card, it sort of makes me chuckle. "Manufactured rarity" is a term that comes to mind on those. Again, nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea. regards
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Jeffrey D. Mohler

For me, the tough cards are the 1908-09 Dietsche postcards. They are not as tough as some of the other cards mentioned in this thread, but they are not common either!

A group of these cards just came up in the last Heritage auction, but I didn't have the funds to purchase them at that exact moment since I was negotiating to purchase some Worch cards, which can be fairly tough too.

If anyone has any, I do have some cash and trade bait available

Last edited by jeffmohler; 11-10-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 AM

About a year or a year-and-a-half ago the board put together a scan collection of all the Zeenut HOFers. Some scans were even took from a book. We got everybody but Southworth. I don't believe any of the participants in the thread knew what it looked like. Finally, a Southworth stealthfully showed in a H&S auction amid a grouping of other cards. Two guys beat each others brains out and pushed the price of that lot pretty high.

Edited to say: I found that thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=Zeenut

Last edited by Cat; 11-10-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 AM

Type I Coupons are truly TOUGH, samples are scarce, but individuals are RARE!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Mark Macrae

Steve,
Not to browbeat the point, or you, but the Bohen full card exists in a handfull or two Zeenut collections. The trimmed 'marionette' version that Lipset offered several years ago had no nameplate, so a complete example had to exist with which to compare the marionette. Collectors would not have known how the caption read (which is the most important part of Zeenuts). There are a number of advanced collectors that do not read this board, post scans, or 'brag' about their collections. If you really want an image, contact the California Historical Society on Mission Street in San Francisco. They have one in their collection (top trimmed, but identifiable) that they can photograph for you. It usually takes 6-8 weeks and they will charge you about $50 for the service... Mark
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Really, really "tough" cards

Only SEVEN (perhaps 8) are known.

[linked image]

Less than 10 known.

[linked image]

In 28 years, I only know of 4 red Cobb's with the rare SOVEREIGN 460 back.

[linked image]

Only 14 red Cobb's with Ty Cobb backs are known.

[linked image] [linked image]

T-Rex TED
Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jim B......

You recall 5 in the auction; therefore, I'll defer to you. You are certainly our resident Ty Cobb back expert.
I was going by my conversations with Rob L. some years back; and perhaps, I may have lost track.

So, 13 is the magic number.

TED Z
Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 PM

Does anyone know if the ones auctioned in the 2008 Mastro live auction and the 2008 Philip Weiss auction previously known and counted amongst the original 12?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:42 PM

What about the one in the Lew Lipset auction around April. Was that recently discovered?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Bob B.

Default "White Whales"

As for the "white whale" question, I've been looking for a Lobert W600 for 15 years. It's listed on most of the period advertising pieces, but are there any survivors? Or even, were any made?
Old 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Does anyone know if the ones auctioned in the 2008 Mastro live auction and the 2008 Philip Weiss auction previously known and counted amongst the original 12?
Wes,
The Mastro one was not a new find. I don't recall the Weiss example, but if they did not describe it as one, I would assume it was not. Do you have a link?
JimB
Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Jim R

I am pretty sure the Lipset Cobb/Cobb Authentic was a new one along with the Cobb tin.