NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default My three favorite Topps sets with three things I'd change

First Place: 1957

Great photographs, a first for Topps--reminds me of 1953 Bowman color--and a variety of poses, unlike the 1958 set, which is way too many headshots. The special cards like "Dodger Sluggers" add personality to the set as well, and the cards of Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams are classic poses that outshine all other Topps issues.

Three things I'd change -
1. Would have loved a Jackie Robinson card in this set. Made my own.
jackie robinson.jpg
2. Ditto for Stan Musial.
3. Really hate that the Hank Aaron photo is reversed. 1957 was THE year for the Hammer...MVP and World Championship...I realize Topps wouldn't have known this at the time the card went to press, but what a shame they got it wrong.

Second Place: 1969
Much like 1957, I enjoy the photos in this set. A variety of poses and good color. Johnny Bench and Nolan Ryan are two favorites among the not-yet-superstars featured. And a plus that the non-photo elements take up a minimum of space unlike 1972 or 1977.

Three things I'd change--
1. Again, Hank Aaron gets no love! It seems like Topps reused the same photo from the 1968 set. Not sure if the Hammer was sick on photo day, but gosh...
2. I'm not a big rookie card guy, but I never like it when the rookie card of a key player has other rookies featured as well. Luckily, Rollie Fingers is the only rookie HOF card in this set that shares billing.
3. I know Topps outsourced their All-Star selections to the Sporting News, but my gosh...the AS cards in this set are awful compared to who actually started the game. Yes to Curt Flood but no to Hank Aaron? Am beginning to think Topps has it in for the Hammer.

Third Place: 1976
I don't imagine this set is a popular one with most vintage collectors--or that it even counts as vintage to many of you. Still, I just love the cards of Yaz and Bench. I also like how the All-Star designations were put directly on the player's main issue card, the first time Topps did this...I think. (Okay, some of you are saying, What about 1975? But remember the Hank Aaron all-star was put on his Record Breaker card!)

Three things I'd change--
1. Again, not really Topps' fault, but gosh! 8 of the 9 AL All-Star selections are Yankees or Athletics. Trivia question--without looking it up, who is the exception?
2. Not to beat up too badly on all-star selections, but what's up with Ron Cey and Pete Rose both being the NL All-Star 3B and only having two outfielders? Why not move versatile Charlie Hustle into the OF with Brock and Wynn?
3. And again, here I go beating up on AS selections. As a kid, the All-Time All Star subset was my favorite--a chance to own a card of Ruth or Gehrig. And I get that the players were determined by the Sporting News on the occasion of MLB's centennial. Still, I would have loved to see some more modern selections. Here the outlier was Ted Williams, who began his career in the 1930s. Sure, it's hard to say which of the honorees should take a backseat, but gosh...the set sure paints a portrait of baseball as a game ruled by ghosts.

Well, congrats if you made it through the post! How about you? What's your favorite Topps set, and what would you change about it?