NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default OK, it's time to find out who's going

Posted By: Bob Marquette

to the National. Count me in. In the process of securing a hotel room and Cubs tickets.
Who else is going or leaning that way?????

Old 04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

if you're procuring tix.

Anyone with prior experience know which of the host hotels is the nicest?

Edited as follows:

Booked the Sofitel and my VIP ticket. All that remains is the plane.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i'm there (i'm about a half hour from rosemont).
just to update, i did check on a roof top for cubs game...i got as far as pricing...roughly $175 per person.
i thought that was a tad high to sit across the street. if there is interest, i will revisit...or i can provide info for individuals.
personally, i prefer the bleachers.
edited to respond to adam.
the hyatt in rosemont is fine. the hotel soifitel (sp?) is probably the niciest within walking distance.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

got my plane ticket last night...already have the hotel reservations...later

not sure about a Cubby game but would be interested...

Old 04-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Adam- I found some tickets, field club boxes about halfway down the 3rd base line for $190 each. The wife and I are probably going to take 2 of them. Also found some upper deck box seats halfway between home and first for $110 each.
What about the Doubletree hotel, I think it is connected to the Convention center by a skyway.
Bob

Old 04-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

my cousin has a high rise apt next to the "House of Blues", so accommodations are handled there. As far as going to a Cubs game....hmmm..

Im just hoping to meet a few new faces and see some old ones. If some of you harbor around certain individuals, let me know where you are at. It is alot of fun putting faces on people.

See you there !
-Dan

Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

At the last Chicago National I stayed with him - we just walked next door to see Billy Idol...then crawled home. Hopefully someone good's playing while you are there.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Lee and I will be there. A game is out of the question for me at prices you guys are talking about, as money is going to very tight.

No clue as to where we are staying or any of that fun stuff

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Good....Lee can take a shower in YOUR room this year. He came over all smelly the time we met and I had to let him use my shower. (actually I sort of "told" him to use it before we got in a car together ) later

Old 04-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I am planning on going this year.
JimB

Old 04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Have hotel reservations near the show at $99 per nite - and will NOT miss the dinner this year

Rich

Old 04-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach

I'll be there as well I cant resist my dad and I had great time last year.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Don't want to miss it.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

per normal procedure i will be set up at booth #333 in the back of the room. leon and i will host the traveling circus of board members, everyone is welcome to come by and chat and rest as we will have chairs and room to compare notes, purchases, sightings, etc.

as a side note there will be plenty of floor space for any grudge matches for board members. betting allowed! house gets a 10% cut.

as to advice on hotels, there are several that you can walk to, Sofitel and Embassy be my top 2 choices for entirely different reasons.

scott

Old 04-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AP

I was on the web site with all the info months ago - now I can't find it! When and where is it this year?

Old 04-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

I look forward to meeting more folks. This one is my third in a row. I'm also interested in catching a Cubs game - been to the stadium - but never inside.

The National Website

Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

For us cheaper folks out there has anyone rounded up a hotel that is inexpensive close by? Last time I stayed at one that didn't have anything in the neighborhood, it was close to the airport. It would be good if some of us could get together in the same hotel so we can shot the shat into the late night.

I got a better idea, Leon, since I am going to be using your shower how about just hanging out in your room with the stay.

Lee

Old 04-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Leon, Im to cheap to rent hotel rooms. Normally, when It ravel, I sleep in my van, but with gas prices I doubt we will be taking the Shaggin Wagon to Chicago. I'm not picky about sleeping accomidation. Give me a pillow and a blanket and I am good to go. I could sleep on a school bus, so sleeping on a floor is no big deal.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

with my normal 3 other inmates........
We're at the Hamption Inn on Mannheim. I got an inhouse rate of $69 but the normal (outhouse) rate is $99. If you're trying to go low budget, you might try priceline. I know guys that regularly do the Rosemont shows that do that and can get $40 rooms within 5-8 miles...............

Old 04-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Administrator

I prefer to go it alone on the room situation. The older I have gotten the less I like to share a room.....unless you're a girl (and since married you would need to be my wife). Nothing personal but if I want to get away from it all for a few minutes I like to have the knowledge I can have some privacy......as far as partying and "hootin' and hollerin'" I'm all for that......regards

Old 04-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

a bathroom thing--right?

Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Yes

Old 04-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Esp. the bathroom. I get enough flack at home for my "habits" in there; I don't need to be polite on vacation.

Plus, there's nothing better than sleeping (and I do mean sleeping) alone once in a while. I had the best rest in years in Cleveland. Of course, it being Cleveland I was bored out of my mind too, which may have contributed to it...

Old 04-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

telling me that everything I want will be avbailable--at about 150% markup. I may show up anyway, just to say hello.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

The last National I went to was in '95 in St. Louis. I had been to 2 before that, but none since. Ebay and internet auctions weaned me away but even though I may not be finding the Obaks, caramels and other tobacco cards I need, I must admit the main reason I am going is to meet the people I have corresponded with, purchased from and sold to, over the past 5 years.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

I'm going. Where's the best pizza?

Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Staying at the Hyatt Regency....After we find and absorb all the good vintage stuff available, what will we do for the next four days?

Old 04-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Administrator

see post above yours.......

Old 04-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Andy Becker,

I'd e-mail you privately but you didn't post your e-mail address. I'm definitely in for rooftop seats to a Cubs game.

$175 is more than I'd pay for any seat inside the ballpark, but the rooftop is such a unique experience I'd gladly pay that.

Count me in if there's a group thing. If not, I'd still like the info.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Old 04-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh A.

Count me in! I live 20 minutes away from the Convention Center, and would love to meet you folks. Should be a great time.

Best pizza? Little place called Jake's, in Glenview and Northbrook, sort of far from Rosemont, but soooo good!

Old 04-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

...and sorry about the email thing.

www.3639wrigleyrooftop.com

the cost is obviously high, but it is an expeience. there are other roofs too, all priced about the same. let me know if you need other websites/phone numbers.

for pizza, the original "lou malnatti's" in lincolnwood is very good...and not downtown (so if there's a wait it is NOT 2 hours). jake's is very good too.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

To whomever is arranging the dinner (Pete?): has a decision been made as to which night it will be? Thanks. Mark

Old 04-09-2005, 06:38 AM
Administrator

I checked with the Cubs' web site and tickets are available at face ($17-$38 a seat) for the D-backs games on thursday and friday. Both are day games, so it would mean missing the show each day. The Giants' game is not available but that is on Wednesday during the day anyhow and I'd not planned to travel into town until that day so that game is not feasible for me to attend. I am leaning towards Friday and best available seats, public transport to the game. Anyone want to go that day?

Old 04-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

I'll be attending my first "national" this year and would be interested in a Cubs game if anyones putting an outing together...

Old 04-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Administrator

I'd be interested in going to a game too....although would prefer going when I wouldn't miss a day of the show....

Old 04-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Since the Cubs play day games except for the Saturday game that week, those of us who want to do a Wrigley visit and not stay an extra night are in a real jam. Cards or Cubs? "Take me out to the ballgame" or "how much is that T card in the showcase"? Whatever shall we do???

Old 04-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mchenrycardguy

This is my first post but I have been lurking here since I found it from the psa boards. As they say on the sports radio stations...."1st time caller....long time reader. I dont collect much let alone the old cards you all do anymore but i love reading and looking at all the great stuff you people post about.

I have been collecting for 30 years and sold my collection 3 or 4 times over. (I hate when you need cash!!)I collected mostly post war but had many goudeys and play balls in my possesion. And I think i have some stories to tell you that you probably will want to hear. (I have held a goudey Lajoie in my hands that walked in off the street with a 90 year old man and a old cigar box)

The point of this all is that i live 45 minutes from the convention center and would love to meet all of you and put faces with the names. I hope that even though I am a 1st time poster I would be welcomed. Not only that, I have stories about Dave Bushing!!! LOL. (
he lives a short drive from me..and I do mean short).

Anyway. I wanted to say hello and see if this dinner is open to newbies as well.
Thanks
Andrew

Old 04-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Of course the dinner is open. Sometime in the next several weeks we will get a head count. It seems it gets bigger each year and last year it was almost an issue to get everyone in one restaurant room. We had a small fiasco one year and some folks didn't even get to sit with us at a large table. All board folks are invited, whether you lurk, one time post, or go spastic like me....it's all good....and stories are about 80% of the fun at the National. I certainly don't go there looking to pick up items to re-sell. I have found numerous to buy for my collection though (mainly Tik and Ron Vitro).....regards