NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2022, 05:32 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Default Opening a Beckett Slab

Anyone here have pointers on how to open a Beckett slabbed card?
Old 06-26-2022, 05:54 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
I've done it with sharp pliers, just going around the edges and cracking. There's probably an easier way (it was more difficult than PSA or SGC slabs which take only a few seconds with this method)
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-26-2022, 06:05 PM
And.rew Whi.te

A Dremel tool works wonders!!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I always used pliers to hold a corner up by the flip (top right of slab), then held the card down with my left hand while twisting the pliers upward until it snapped a corner off. I made sure to put it in a plastic bag first to catch the shards. Once that corner was snapped off, I inserted a flathead screwdriver into the flip down the slot for the flip. Then continued to rotate the screwdriver until it popped the flip compartment. One the top is cracked, move the screwdriver down from the top and rotate it until the sides start to crack. Then just keep working it until the card is free.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:49 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Tnt.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:07 PM

Default There is

..There is a YouTube video , made just for cracking open a BGS slab.....wear goggles , though

Old 06-26-2022, 09:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Dremel tools are great but they do generate a lot of friction heat and the slab will melt, as will the bits of plastic the tool kicks off. Just be careful to stay away from the card itself with the tool. Go to town on the top of the flip then hand-crack the rest. I usually snap off bits of edge around the corners before trying to crack it open. And goggles are a must even if you wear glasses. You will get shrapnel.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-26-2022, 09:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I use pliers and a screwdriver for SGC and PSA, but with Beckett, I just use a table saw. Overkill, but it's fast and makes it easy. Pliers can be a pain sometimes on their thick slabs.

I don't like grading, but credit to Beckett on a bullet proof slab. That thing will protect a card through a lot.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:48 PM
David M.

If I was Beckett I would love this discussion. It shows their slabs must be destroyed to be opened. Shouldn't they all be that way?
Old 06-27-2022, 05:32 AM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Bolt cutters along a corner work great to create a starting point. Then, as mentioned, it's a flat head screwdriver to pry around the rest.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:43 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Tile nippers.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:09 AM
Bob C.

On a bit of a tangent, anyone ever have a terrible outcome and damage a card they were trying to free from a Beckett holder?

May be a positive in that by explaining what had been done that ended up causing card damage, it could be a good example for others of exactly what NOT to do in trying to open a Beckett holder.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
I have cracked a number of Beckett holders with a miter saw. I have never damaged a card or had any issues
Old 06-27-2022, 09:23 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankish View Post
Tile nippers.
Tile nippers or nail clippers

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:46 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The Dremel tools are great but they do generate a lot of friction heat and the slab will melt, as will the bits of plastic the tool kicks off. Just be careful to stay away from the card itself with the tool. Go to town on the top of the flip then hand-crack the rest. I usually snap off bits of edge around the corners before trying to crack it open. And goggles are a must even if you wear glasses. You will get shrapnel.
Great point.

But I guess the fact that it is so difficult is a testament of them and how “secure” they make it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-27-2022, 11:35 AM
Matt

I use a band saw at work. Trim each side and the center comes apart pretty easy.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:41 AM
J0hn Collin$

Dremel tool might prove quicker, but is unnecessary. Snip off an edge and then get to work separating the two halves. The Beckett slabs look intimidating in that the plastic is thicker, but it is generally very brittle plastic. Once it starts to cracking it's not markedly more difficult to open a BGS slab than any other. The one difference I would note is that Beckett's slabs work kind of like the lid on a shoebox. One side of the slab fits into another that way. Once you take the corner off and begin cracking around with a flathead screwdriver (up by the flip and not down near the card, of course....) - you should begin to intuitively see how it's put together. Some and the "lid" side of the slab just lifts off easily.

Of course the true PITA about Beckett is the card that will eventually be yielded from the scary slab is sealed in a thick plastic sleeve, almost reminiscent of a mid 1980's album page. It's sealed all the way around, so you will have to cut the card out - but this should not be difficult unless you are being just really careless.

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-27-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:55 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFire82 View Post
Bolt cutters along a corner work great to create a starting point. Then, as mentioned, it's a flat head screwdriver to pry around the rest.
This has worked well for me to open any TPG slab. Scott

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk