NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

Default 1934 Butterfinger

I have become interested in this set and have bought a few (I posted the Gehrig in the thread about him). I have seen the ad variation as well, and those indicate that a baseball picture is free with a 5 cent Butterfinger candy bar. Does anyone know how these were actually distributed? These are so thin and susceptible to damage that I can't see how they would have been included with the candy bar. I have not seen any with creases from being folded. Did kids send in a wrapper for a free picture? Does anyone have an envelope in which these were mailed? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

No idea, but I do know my good friend and GREAT online store owner Mickey has some nice ones.

http://sales.mickeyssportscards.com/...sport=Baseball
Old 05-04-2014, 07:33 AM
john
j0hn carr0.ll

Default Butterfingers

I have a few of these cards and I have always thought they are undervalued. The photos are fantastic.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default R310 Butterfinger

As some other series were probably given out, they probably would have been given out at time of purchase. Maybe the store owners had a stack next to the candy bars and with a purchase a kid took one (point of sale)? And some store owners obviously stamped the backs with their own advertising. This back stamped one is Melillow

Last edited by Leon; 05-04-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Barry Arnold

Default butterfinger

I've always loved these cards but they sure are fragile.
I have a ruth, Gehrig and a walter Johnson.

all the best in your collecting of these beauties,

barry
Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Leon, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the advertisement pieces like the one you showed are a bit thicker and more sturdy while the regular ones are very thin paper almost to the point of being like newspaper.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 05-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the great information. I had never thought that the store owner might have a stack of them behind the counter and hand them out. Some kid goes in and gets handed a Blondy Ryan and the kid just before him got the Babe (if they were in alphabetical order). Today, can you imagine a clerk at Walgreens, CVS or 7-Eleven handing out a premium when you buy a candy bar? If this is the case, I would assume that some grandkid of a candy store owner (think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) might have a stack of these hidden someplace.

Leon, while the TPGs might not like that stamp on the back of the Melillo, I think it adds character. I will be keeping my eyes out for others with stamps on the back.

I checked out Mickey's, but I already have all of those. I will post a WTB over on the BST.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Todd Schultz

I've always wondered about this too. Given how incredibly fragile these are --thinner than m101-2s for example, I find it hard to believe that kids could get them home. Eating chocolate bars in the summer in an era of no air conditioning, then carefully avoiding any chocolate smears or folds (they are seldom found folded) seems a stretch. I suppose the kids could plan on putting the premiums in a notebook carried to the store that would take the wear and tear, but kids are compulsive and likely would be playing or doing other things after leaving the store--who's gonna put much time into planning for and protecting paper thin, over-sized pictures when you just grab Goudey's D-Stars, etc.?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Leon, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the advertisement pieces like the one you showed are a bit thicker and more sturdy while the regular ones are very thin paper almost to the point of being like newspaper.

DJ
Correct, the ones with the red overprint on front are pasted onto heavier cardboard stock, with about a quarter inch border around the "card" itself. And yes, the regular ones are paper thin. I am only guessing at their distribution method. Hopefully we can find some definitive evidence as to their way of being handed out.