NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 19th Century Cards & ALL Baseball Postcards- B/S/T

Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Default 1888 N162 Cap Anson (SGC 20) For Trade / Sale

....The best gift is the one Santa gives you....

Looking to trade this Cap Anson for T206 HOF Protraits.....
Willing to sell on net54 for $1200....Listed on eBay at $1500....

N162 Cap Anson (SGC 20).jpg

N162 Cap Anson (SGC 20) Back.jpg

Send me an eMail if interested... Regards John....

Last edited by Herpolsheimer; 12-01-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Default Now For Sale / Trade

I will sell the card for $1200.... PayPal / Check you pay fees and I will pay for shipped insurance....For sale on eBay for $1500 / OBO....
Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Default Cap Anson

Bump - Still available for Trade / Sale
Old 08-05-2016, 10:32 PM

Bump....
Old 08-07-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Anson

Email sent
Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpolsheimer View Post
Bump....
Longest bump of a for sale item I have ever seen on the board. Good luck!!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Cap Anson passed the magical total base total of 4500 and finished with 4592 good for 43rd of all time...i heard there was a massive countdown to that magical 4500, and people all knew what they did the day he broke that magical number..

..yeah he was 7th in all time hits but lets celebrate the total base accomplishment given the era he was in..
Old 08-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Scott

Let's not celebrate him too much -- he was singlehandedly responsible for helping to keep African-Americans out of organized professional baseball...
Old 08-08-2016, 11:51 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
Let's not celebrate him too much -- he was singlehandedly responsible for helping to keep African-Americans out of organized professional baseball...
Man we could also not celebrate many of the U.S. Presidents and founding fathers if want to go that route
Old 08-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Scott

I don't really want to hijack this seller's thread, but there were several blacks in pro baseball until Anson personally saw fit to end it.

I would rather have an Oscar Charleston or John Heny Lloyd card in poor condition than an Anson card in gem mint.

But good luck to the seller on this undeniably aesthetically beautiful card!
Old 08-08-2016, 12:31 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I don't really want to hijack this seller's thread, but there were several blacks in pro baseball until Anson personally saw fit to end it.

I would rather have an Oscar Charleston or John Heny Lloyd card in poor condition than an Anson card in gem mint.

What about the large gap between when Anson stopped playing and when Jackie started to play, theres probably a lot more blame to go around on celebrated HOF players than Anson...
Old 08-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Scott

I agree that there is a lot of blame to be spread, but Anson was the most respected player of his time and he set the precedent for all who followed until Rickey and Robinson.

But the N162 is still one of the nicest looking baseball cards ever produced....
Old 08-10-2016, 05:59 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:

I do celebrate him for being the ballplayer that he was. This is just PC nonsense. Thanks for the hijack!

Last edited by cammb; 08-10-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:04 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

So, the notion that he had 'coattails' in persuading players and officials on other teams to do as he did is rather spurious." A lengthy 2016 essay by the same author focused on claims of Anson’s alleged influence on the most noted vote in 19th-century professional baseball in favor of segregation: a July 14, 1887 one by the high-minor International League to ban the signing of new contracts with black players; the essay showed a range of authors as not having observed the line between fact and speculation on that alleged influence.[7]
Old 08-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Scott

Orlando, would you mind translating? I'm not sure if you are helping or hurting my argument....
Old 08-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Its a cut and paste from wiki. I think it is pretty clear. Like many things in history, some stories become exaggerated or are wholly made up. There is no historical proof of the degree, if any, of influence Cap had on the vote. What IS undisputed is that he was a racist jerk. It is sad, but he was a product of his day. So was Ty Cobb, but I wont be getting rid of my Ty Cobb cards any time soon. I collect the images of guys who were great at baseball. I even own an OJ Simpson rookie!!!

Last edited by orly57; 08-13-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:32 PM
Scott

BTW, has this card been sold yet?
Old 08-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Its a cut and paste from wiki. I think it is pretty clear. Like many things in history, some stories become exaggerated or are wholly made up. There is no historical proof of the degree, if any, of influence Cap had on the vote. What IS undisputed is that he was a racist jerk. It is sad, but he was a product of his day. So was Ty Cobb, but I wont be getting rid of my Ty Cobb cards any time soon. I collect the images of guys who were great at baseball. I even own an OJ Simpson rookie!!!

+1
Old 08-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Brad W.

Quote:

Saying Cap Anson "singlehandedly" kept blacks out of pro ball is laughable. It was the team owners, and later commissioner Landis, that had the power to do so, and did. No one singlehandedly created the color line - it was a group effort. Anson's racism was just the most reported. Many others at the time and throughout the next 60 years had the same opinions, both players and management.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Scott

Again, last time I'll say this: of course team owners and Landis all saw fit to maintain their "gentlemen's agreement" from the late 19th century through the mid-twentieth century. My point is that Anson, as the most powerful, respected, and visible professional baseball figure of his era, set the whole pendulum in motion and no one until Chandler, Rickey, and Robinson was willing to stop it.

Adrian Anson saying that my Chicago baseball club -- and any and all professional baseball clubs -- will not not play against any team that has an African-American player on it simply held much more weight than if some generic racist player had said the same thing.

And as far as that earlier "PC nonsense" comment goes: consider yourself lucky that you were born a white male when you were, and consider yourself existentially lucky had you been born a white male a hundred years ago. Because if you weren't, and you had all the talent and skill of Ruth, Wagner, and
Johnson, you would have toiled in near obscurity in the Negro Leagues. That's not political correctness -- that's reality.

Perhaps it is unfair to blame one individual for institutional racism, but in my opinion, Anson used the power and privilege of his own skin color to exclude multiple generations of very deserving and gifted athletes from playing the game at the highest level, the game they loved just as much as he did.

Scott