NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Christopher Williams

Default Pot Of Gold Estate Auctions Babe Ruth Cy Young

That Cy Young autographed baseball (in my opinion a pathetic forgery) that was on another thread, was sold at an auction site called "Pot Of Gold Estate Auctions." Here are some real winners sold at that site.

The majority of the autographs are certed by Priddy and Max.

http://azfirearms.auctionflex.com/sh...enum=1&lang=En

PG-1.jpg

PG-2.jpg

PG-3.jpg
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Christopher Williams

Default Babe Ruth Justin Priddy ACE

This is certed by Mr. Justin Priddy (ACE). This is a real beauty. Way to go, Justin.

PG-4.jpg
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
That Cy Young autographed baseball (in my opinion a pathetic forgery) that was on another thread, was sold at an auction site called "Pot Of Gold Estate Auctions." Here are some real winners sold at that site.

The majority of the autographs are certed by Priddy and Max.

Maybe a Leprechaun will give him his money back ,Chris!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Maybe a Leprechaun will give him his money back ,Chris!
Good one Greg. I certainly hope the buyer gets his money back.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 02-09-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Steve Zarelli

Drew Max strikes again. The Robinson is a childish imitation at best. Perhaps the "Pawn Stars" authenticator needs to clean his magnifying glass. Given the spotlight on him, you'd think he would be a lot more careful.

These auctions should be renamed "Pot of Fools Gold Auctions" or maybe "Chamber Pot Auctions."
Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Brock

Are the ones with JSA good? If they are they went for a ok price.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Steve Zarelli

I thought "estate auctions" were typically the personal belongings of the estate - furniture, paintings, jewelry and maybe collectibles once in a while.

How are these estates chock full of rare collectibles with newly minted FDE COAs? Does the auction company supplement the true estate auctions with inventory they get elsewhere? Like Coaches Corner?

Over/under on when ACE/Priddy will be banned from eBay? How can one repeatedly cert such cartoonish imitations and expect to maintain the charade for any length of time?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Over/under on when ACE/Priddy will be banned from eBay? How can one repeatedly cert such cartoonish imitations and expect to maintain the charade for any length of time?
I'll set it at 3 months, over or under?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Scott

Under
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Richard Simon

Under for Priddy.
That Jackie is too funny, looks like it was on a roller coaster, Jackie heading up the roller coaster and Robinson heading down the roller coaster.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I thought "estate auctions" were typically the personal belongings of the estate - furniture, paintings, jewelry and maybe collectibles once in a while.

How are these estates chock full of rare collectibles with newly minted FDE COAs? Does the auction company supplement the true estate auctions with inventory they get elsewhere? Like Coaches Corner?

It's amazing that these people who make these "estate" purchases always seem to find Drew Max, Justin Priddy, Ted Taylor and Chris Morales to cert the autographs that come out of "estate" sales.

Is it possible that so-called collectors go to Drew Max to authenticate their autographs because he's on the Pawn Stars show and his proud announcement "I'm a Forensic Document Examiner." Of course, those same so-called collectors never hear about his screw-ups on the show. Makes me sick.

I, for one, have always known how widespread the forgery problem is in the hobby. There are probably fewer than ten people who produce those vintage (Ruth, Gehrig, Matty, etc.) sigs that now show up at a ton of local auctions, online auctions, etc. The buyers (who know exactly what they are purchasing) are finding new outlets to distribute that vintage garbage. Almost all of that crap gets removed from Ebay, and with all of these new local and online auctions popping up, the distributors of that vintage crap have no shortage of outlets.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 02-09-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Christopher Williams

More garbage certed by Drew Max and Justin Priddy from "Pot Of Gold Estate Auctions."

Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 AM
James Wymer

Why do they always go for so many Ruth signatures? If I wanted people to believe in my stuff I would not want six Ruth autos at $10 a piece.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Scott

As Sir Elton John said in one of his classics:

" Its sad, so sad, its a sad sad situation"...But, in the case of Poopy, Drew Muck, Moorales, Scat Authentic and others, Sorry doesn't seem to be the hardest word. Just give me your money, and I'll give you a COA
Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
Why do they always go for so many Ruth signatures? If I wanted people to believe in my stuff I would not want six Ruth autos at $10 a piece.
Amazing isn't it. Look at Roach's Corner this month. Sixteen (16) various Babe Ruth autographs.

http://www.myccsa.com/Search.aspx?Se...xt=babe%20ruth
Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Richard Simon

I am surprised that they don't just advertise a private signing with the Babe and you can send in whatever you want signed, Bobby Brown AL balls, 1999 lithos, 1961 Golden Press Babe Ruth card,,, imagine the thrill of getting those signed,,, the boys at CC can do it for you!!
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

there are two kinds of babe ruth forgeries, one is just a higher class of forgeries, they go one way to the abc, xyz and get certed and sell for 30,000 t0 100,000 dollars each, and trade in the legitimate market, including the largest online auction place, and the sloppier ones go to other places to get certs and sell for 500 to 2000 dollars and trade on the flea market circuit.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-10-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
there are two kinds of babe ruth forgeries, one is just a higher class of forgeries, they go one way to the abc, xyz and get certed and sell for 30,000 t0 100,000 dollars each, and trade in the legitimate market, including the largest online auction place, and the sloppier ones go to other places to get certs and sell for 500 to 2000 dollars and trade on the flea market circuit.
Not necessarily so.
I just got four baseballs to examine yesterday. I won't reveal any details about the balls as the client will be attempting to get his money back, but he had spent $35,000 on the four balls. All with nice shiny (not PSA or JSA) stickers on them.
--
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Banned

theres always exceptions, but it is largely so.

we just saw cc sell a cy young signed ball for 257, a babe ruth/lou gehrig signed ball for 957.

meanwhile, higher class forgeries sell with abc, xyz for 25k, 40k, 50k, 100k and more each. and these with the abc, xyz certs will continue trade and sell back and forth forever. people can try to get their money back for a joe blow cert, but who is it out there that has an abc, xyz ruth ball that is trying to get a refund and is going to succeed? no one right now, because no one will take on those companies. so the customer dropped 80 grand on a ball with abc, xyz and are going to be stuck unless they try to pass it on even though they found out its fake. (perpetuate the problem)

when you get people who think they might have fakes, are they ever abc or xyz? because if not, then either those two companies dont ever make a mistake (ha), OR they make them but never get pushed for a refund, nor the dealer that sold them.

who can push for a refund on a abc or xyz cert? no one can, that's the problem. because the dealer can always say that this is abc, xyz, not joe blow certs, so shove off. they couldnt even get delahanty pulled from the auction even though it was obvious.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-10-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Christopher Williams

Travis loves to talk numbers, so let's talk numbers.

You see, Travis uses a different calculator than we do. Travis, what about the hundreds (or thousands) of Babe Ruth garbage autographs that Chris Morales, Drew Max and Ted Taylor have certed over the years. I guess those dollars don't count.

What about the hundreds of Lou Gehrig garbage autographs that Chris Morales, Drew Max and Ted Taylor have certed over the years. I guess those dollars don't count.

What about the thousands of autographed photos (including Ali, Mantle, Mays, DiMaggio, Ted Williams) certed by Max, Morales and Taylor that were sold by an auction site for over two years. I guess those dollars don't count.

This month (Feb 2012) alone Coach's Corner listed sixteen (16) Babe Ruth autographs. Four are certed by Morales and five by Taylor. And that's just this month. But I guess those dollars are irrelevant, Travis.

What about the 100 or so Christy Mathewson cut sigs and baseballs that Morales has certed for Coach's Corner.

This month over at Coach's Corner there are three Christy Mathewson cut sigs list. All certed by Morales. But I guess those dollars are irrelevant, too, Travis.

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot.aspx?LotID=311081

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot.aspx?LotID=307861

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot.aspx?LotID=308965

99.jpg

Now let's talk real dollars. The majority of those Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, etc., are sold to retailers, who then sell that crap for 5-20 times their purchase price to impulse buyers.

I guess those dollars are irrelevant, right, Travis?

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 02-10-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM

Travis, you might as well be talkin' to the wall. Ya just gotta accept it--only Morales and Drew are bad for "the hobby." (Even though, by Chris' own declaration, no one who buys any of their stuff is a "real collector.")
PSA's and JSA's sh#t don't stink--as evidenced by the fact that "real collectors" pay upwards of $300k for it.
Start puttin' your energy where it will do the most good: pointing out that Morales certs forgeries, and Coach's Corner sells 'em.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Now let's talk real dollars. The majority of those Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, etc., are sold to retailers, who then sell that crap for 5-20 times their purchase price to impulse buyers.
Really?

Prove it.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I wondered how long before we got into this crap again.

Travis wants to go after the big guys and the high-end fakes.

Chris wants to go after the heavy volume guys with the low-end fakes.

WE GET IT!!!!!

I admire both of your for your passion, yet I can't stand either of you because of your petty fighting. We've read a dozen threads in the past few months that have all ended the same way: you guys strutting around like roosters with your feathers puffed out, staring each other down. WE GET IT!! How about the next time either of you wants to post to the other about how we should all go after "your" chosen target, YOU DON'T! Just post a link to any of these other tedious threads and we can read again what you think.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 02-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I wondered how long before we got into this crap again.

Travis wants to go after the big guys and the high-end fakes.

Chris wants to go after the heavy volume guys with the low-end fakes.

WE GET IT!!!!!

I admire both of your for your passion, yet I can't stand either of you because of your petty fighting. We've read a dozen threads in the past few months that have all ended the same way: you guys strutting around like roosters with your feathers puffed out, staring each other down. WE GET IT!! How about the next time either of you wants to post to the other about how we should all go after "your" chosen target, YOU DON'T! Just post a link to any of these other tedious threads and we can read again what you think.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Mr. EarlyWynnFan, with all due respect, what would you have me do? Ignore the comments written by Travis and just let them stand? I don't like these pissing matches any more than you do, but there are some things I cannot ignore. It's my style. If Leon doesn't like what I do here, I will leave here. It's that simple.

If my comments bother you and if you don't like what I write, then by all means put me on your "Ignore" list. I've put two members here on my "Ignore" list, that way I cannot read their comments. Please feel free to put me on your "Ignore" list, Mr. EarlyWynnFan.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Scott

Why don't you guys just exchange PM's? Leon put that feature in for private discussions/arguments/questions and the like. It just gets sickening to keep reading this lovers triangle quarrel w Chris, Travis and David again, and AGAIN and AGAIN

As Ive said many times, you both have good points, and have both helped point out MANY MANY forgeries, both w guys on Roach's, Ebay, and the big errors made by the Alpha bit cereal authenticators. But, man, this is just over and over and over. ENOUGH, Pretty please?

Scott Roberts.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Travis, you might as well be talkin' to the wall. Ya just gotta accept it--only Morales and Drew are bad for "the hobby." (Even though, by Chris' own declaration, no one who buys any of their stuff is a "real collector.")
PSA's and JSA's sh#t don't stink--as evidenced by the fact that "real collectors" pay upwards of $300k for it.
Start puttin' your energy where it will do the most good: pointing out that Morales certs forgeries, and Coach's Corner sells 'em.

david,

exactly,

one babe ruth ball goes for 300,000 dollars, no big deal to them.

the matty signed 'won in the ninth' bookplates, which go for 10 grand apiece and there are 400 of them of which dozens have been certed by abc, and xyz, and all the rest WOULD be certed by them if they were sent in, that 4,000,000 dollars worth of matty sigs that they think is okay but ron k thinks is fake. I am sure the cy young expert can tell us his opinion.

but why quibble over 4 mil of matty sigs and a couple mil of babe ruth balls when we have mickey mantles that sell for as low as 1 dollar to worry about.

my next post i will show something i have never shown before, i am going to post it here AND make a new thread about it, because some people need convincing.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Mr. EarlyWynnFan, with all due respect, what would you have me do? Ignore the comments written by Travis and just let them stand? I don't like these pissing matches any more than you do, but there are some things I cannot ignore. It's my style. If Leon doesn't like what I do here, I will leave here. It's that simple.

If my comments bother you and if you don't like what I write, then by all means put me on your "Ignore" list. I've put two members here on my "Ignore" list, that way I cannot read their comments. Please feel free to put me on your "Ignore" list, Mr. EarlyWynnFan.
Or, Mr. TruthIsOutThere, perhaps you could just put Travis on YOUR "Ignore" list!

I'd prefer not to ignore of you because, as I said in my post, I feel you both have something to offer and I enjoy your posts, except when they involve Travis and David. As an adult, you are allowed to walk away, to ignore the bullies and idiots of the world. (Note: not saying Travis and David are either, I'm just making a point.) Heck, many would think you the better man for it!

So to reiterate: YES!!!! Walk away! Let him say what he wants!! You do what you do, let him do what he does. Both of you keep posting however you feel helps our hobby, and leave the other one be.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

To the people with the blinders on, this buds for you.

Here we see a list of the top ten forged autographs, along with a picture of Babe Ruth saying "this Babe Ruth forgery would fool most people.

http://www.psacard.com/smrweb/backis...tographs.chtml

It is the first photo shown below, the head shot of Babe Ruth.

So this company is touting the good Ruth autographs that they have certed on this webpage, and then show a forgery that they say would fool most, but of course wouldn't fool them, right?

The second photo below in the next post is an ad of theirs that they ran when autograph grading came about showing the same type of Ruth certed by them with a full LOA.

WT???????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

Now this signed photo of Ruth with the full LOA can be sold for thousands of dollars, and still can be, it has the golden ticket, and the company running this ad has the nerve to put up a top ten forged autograph list imo showing this same forgery (in their own words, a forgery), and saying it would FOOL MOST PEOPLE!

How about them? Would it fool them?

Talk about hypocrisy, talk about not knowing what they are doing.

Do you feel comfortable sending in a Babe Ruth autograph to them and wondering if you will get an opinion back that won't be called a fake tomorrow, and then good again, or a fake, or what???

The world experts at work, folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthforge1.jpg (64.0 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 02-12-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned

Here is the second photo of their ad, it didnt upload the first time.

OMG!

IMO Same one they called a forgery that they said would fool most when they put together their top ten list. Of course they showed good Ruth autographs that they saved the world and certed to make sure you get a good Ruth auto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthforge2.jpg (74.2 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 02-12-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Banned

Then they have the balls to put in this little paragraph.

That is why it is so important to find and buy from reputable sellers; ones who use third-party authentication to protect the interests of their customers.

what a joke.

theirs dont stink at all!

and then they show the 300,000 dollar babe ruth ball as one of those that they certed that is authentic.

can't wait for parts 4-10 of the haulsofshame operation bambino!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Scott

Interesting. Lets face it. anyone w a large/valuable autograph collection or for that matter, even one valuable sig, should be concerned. Just a sad situation.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
That is why it is so important to find and buy from reputable sellers; ones who use third-party authentication to protect the interests of their customers.

I got to say, when I saw them advertising with that quote I got really pissed.
The implication in that ad is exceedingly annoying to me "if the seller does not use PSA, then they are not reputable.", why don't they just say that straight up? That is what they really mean.
There are numerous reputable sellers who would never use third party authentication and I have listed them several times already in various threads.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Banned

On psa's homepage, if you click on "new to collecting" there is the following paragraph there.

Enhance Your Credibility
When it comes to collectibles, a seller's reputation is of paramount importance. Those with the best reputations have their collectibles graded and/or authenticated by PSA. If you are known as a seller who does not, your credibility may suffer. Buyers will ask questions and speculate as to your reasons why.

----------------

This really grinds my gears also when they say stuff like this, like if you dont use psa, then you are some shady character with something to hide.

shame on them.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
On psa's homepage, if you click on "new to collecting" there is the following paragraph there.

Enhance Your Credibility
When it comes to collectibles, a seller's reputation is of paramount importance. Those with the best reputations have their collectibles graded and/or authenticated by PSA. If you are known as a seller who does not, your credibility may suffer. Buyers will ask questions and speculate as to your reasons why.

----------------

This really grinds my gears also when they say stuff like this, like if you dont use psa, then you are some shady character with something to hide.

shame on them.

yep agree, shame shame!!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Richard Simon

Perhaps a little editing is necessary:

Enhance Your Credibility
When it comes to collectibles, a seller's reputation is of paramount importance. Those with the best knowledge and reputations don't need to have their collectibles graded and/or authenticated by PSA. If you are known as a seller who does not use PSA, and who gives a lifetime guarantee of authenticity, your credibility will be enhanced. Buyers will know that you are one to be trusted.
--
Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Perhaps a little editing is necessary:

Enhance Your Credibility
When it comes to collectibles, a seller's reputation is of paramount importance. Those with the best knowledge and reputations don't need to have their collectibles graded and/or authenticated by PSA. If you are known as a seller who does not use PSA, and who gives a lifetime guarantee of authenticity, your credibility will be enhanced. Buyers will know that you are one to be trusted.
Amen! Like

Tags
drew max aau