NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default RIP, Mike Marshall

Just read the obit of Dodgers pitcher Mike Marshall. In 1974 he pitched in 106 games. Incredible. He also studied kinesiology. No, I didn't know what it was either. It's the study of the mechanics of body movement. So, give credit to a guy who was obviously ahead of his time. And he also ran a baseball clinic in his later years. Thanks, Mike, and RIP.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Bob F.

RIP

Old 06-04-2021, 11:06 AM

By the early 70’s Marshall refused to pose for the Topps photographers and Topps was forced to use airbrushed poses of him from the late 60’s or action photos. I don’t know if Marshall and Topps had a falling out or Topps just got tired of him because his last Topps card was 1977 even though he played another four years. He was in the 1982 Fleer set but of course it’s an action shot.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:13 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Marshall vs Topps

Great memory, Cliff. I forgot about his battles with Topps. I just did a Google search on the issue that you brought up and found this:

https://shlabotnikreport.wordpress.c...mike-marshall/

I give full credit to Joe Shlabotnik, of course. The conclusion SEEMS to be that Mr. Marshall had a problem with "authority" and organizations that held power (like Topps). Maybe it was his way of giving the finger to Topps, who knows. The blog is a fun read. Enjoy.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:15 PM

As I recall, Mike Marshall was also a fanatical jerk about refusing any and all autograph requests. I am not into autographs for the most part, but I remember thinking at the time I read that in SCD many years ago that that was pretty lame and immature for a MLB player, particularly such an "intelligent" one. Then again, I recall hockey all-time great Ken Dryden was pretty much the same way---didn't believe in the concept of signing autographs. --- Brian Powell
Old 06-04-2021, 10:11 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I like a guy who has a problem with authority +1, I don't like a guy who won't sign an auto for a kid -1, I like a guy into Kinesiology +1, I don't like Dodgers -1.

I like folks who lived through the 70's, they're pretty awesome.

RIP Mike Marshall, Go Giants!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-04-2021, 11:01 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
By the early 70’s Marshall refused to pose for the Topps photographers and Topps was forced to use airbrushed poses of him from the late 60’s or action photos. I don’t know if Marshall and Topps had a falling out or Topps just got tired of him because his last Topps card was 1977 even though he played another four years. He was in the 1982 Fleer set but of course it’s an action shot.
Former Donruss photographer Jack Wallin (producer of the 1977 Grand Slam set) has some crazy stories of his run-ins with Mike Marshall. As a fan, I always thought he was amazing.