NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Jay and I went to the Twins game tonight and a long standing drought has come to an end. We ssaw a nicely pitched game in which the Twins won 4-0 on a Johan Santana 3 hitter, GO TWINS!!!!!
During the game I got my first foul ball in a major league game. I have attended at least 250 games in my lifetime never to have one come close until this year when I was at a game with my uncle who is handicap and a foul ball was coming down straight at me (I forgot my glove for the game, go figure) I bailed out and to my shugrin realized that a handicapped guy next to me was below, it missed him and bounced away. Tonight afoul ball came down to me off the bat of Doug Mientwicz, with my glove on my left hand and snared the ball. The ball was than given to a boy sitting in front of us ( He was one happy guy, and very grateful). I could finally say that I got a foul ball!!!!!!!

By the way Jay headed under the seat for cover.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: jay behrens

I headed for cover only because I was holding a brand new digital camera that I was trying to protect from Lee's poor fielding. One flick of the elbow and I could have easily cleared him and anyone else in the area to get the ball. Besides, I feel sorry for not getting a ball. I got my first one in 1976 of a Butch Wynegar foul ball and then got it signed after the game as he left the park. Since then, I've caught somewhere around a dozen balls, including 3 in one game at Oakland. I've also caught balls in 4 parks, Metropolitan Stadium, Candlestick, PacBell and The Collesium.

It was a great game. Lee forgot to mention Santan had 13 K's with 10 after 6 innings. Also got some very cool pics with the new camera.

Jay

Old 07-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: andy becker

it's a thrill, even more so for the young recepient. i vended at wrigley and comisky for 6 years, have a ton of bp balls, but no game foul balls. as a spectator, i was handed a ball (we were in the front row behind cubs dugout) by billy williams. that ball was passed immeadiately to a child right behind us. his eyes lit up, christmas in july!

Old 07-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: John/z28jd

First of all Lee,i cant believe you gave your first foul ball away,sure its nice to give it to a kid but you wait till the 2nd ball to do that

I was at a game last year and sitting down the 1st base line when a line drive came and hit the row behind me about 10 seats closer to home plate,it then went into the row in front of me,with no one around i reached over picked up the ball then got run by some 12 year old kid who almost took my arm off and he knocked the ball out and then started to walk away.

He stopped and came back and gave me the ball and said im sorry,you had that ball already. So i got my first foul ball twice and i didnt have to wait for that little kid to be all alone and strongarm it back

In a family full of baseball fans who have been to over 500 games combined,i have the one and only foul ball.Of course my cousin had to ruin it by getting engaged to a former minor league baseball player so now his stories overshadow my foul ball story

Old 07-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: Nick

Lee,
I too had attended hundreds of games without a single foul ball. Last year I purchased season tickets for the Las Vegas 51's(Dodgers AAA). The seats were located in a section directly behind the plate.

It took about 6 games for a towering shot to go up directly above my head. It seemed to be in the air for an hour. I lost it for a second in the dark night sky and panic set in and I covered my head and ducked. I looked up just in time to see the ball land with a thud about 3 feet from my wife. And down came the rain of BOOOOOs!

I redeemed my self later in the game when a softer shot came my way. Since then I have had two more with out a single error.

Nick

Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: steve k

I also have attended hundreds of MLB games. Caught just one foul ball. It was on the first base side roughly behind the dugout about 30 rows up at the Phillies old Veterans Stadium in the mid 1970's. It was off the bat of Pete Rose when he was with the Reds. I have played a lot of baseball, mostly outfield, so when the ball was hit, midway through the air I knew that I had a very good chance at it. The stands were crowded so of course you can't go to the ball, the ball has to come to you. It was surreal as it seemed like the ball took about a few minutes to get there but it landed in my raised hands with a two-handed catch. It's funny, I was so excited about catching the ball that I didn't even initially realize who hit it until my cousin told me a batter or two later that it was from Pete Rose.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Part of the reason I've been able to get so many balls is that most of them were retrived at extra inning games at Candlestick in the mid 80s where literally there were only a few hundred people left in the stands.

Jay

Old 07-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: t-206collector

May 14, 1998 TEX-NYY. Mariano Rivera pitched it, Ivan Rodriguez hit it and I caught it on the fly with my glove while falling over a row of seats to my left. I got a minor standing ovation from the crowd at Yankee Stadium. Three days later I was at David Wells' perfect game. Not a bad four days in my baseball-fandom, but still the only foul ball I have caught during a game (as opposed to BP). Ironically, I've actually been to more perfect games (2, including David Cone's) than foul balls I've caught!

It's a tremendous thrill and ended a drought that I also thought would never end...

Old 09-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

After my long drought of never getting a foul ball, I know have caught 2. I was at last night Twins (8-5 11 inning thriller) game and low and behold another foul ball came right to my seat. Funny how it works, go for years without and now 2 in one year. I did make a little girl sitting behind me very happy, that's the best part. I didn't have Jay cowarding under a seeat this time.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

If I was there, I would have snagged it since my arms are much longer than yours. Plus, yo probably would have gotten a hip check to clear some space.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 09-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: John/z28jd

Dammit Lee,whats with you and giving away your balls!

Without the proof who's gonna believe you ever had them? According to Jay you never did

Seriously tho,keep one for yourself man! Give it to a grandkid or something when youre older not some little kid whos probably playing baseball with it in the mean streets of Warba,Minnesota

Old 09-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Lee having grandkids means he needs to get a date first :-p

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: runscott

I haven't gotten a foul ball, but back in June Julio Franco lost his bat and it hit a woman a few rows down from us - you really don't want to see Julio Franco's bat flying at you.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

Posted By: Pcelli60

I got one off the bat of RJ Reynolds , then of Pittsburg, in 1989 at Shea Stadium. I keep it on my dresser and enjoy it every day..Also got passed in the stands that day by Richard Nixon..

Old 09-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Default A Drought Ended

John, I have quite a few official balls from them being thrown to me or BP and we use to carry them in our card store. I guess I have found no real attactment to a ball yet. It is a thrill to caatch one, but I think it is a greater thrill to see a young kid enjoy the ball and hopefully become lifetime fans.

Heck I can't even remember who hit the first one I caught in July. This one was off Hank Blalock, his previous at-bat he sent a screamer about 8 rows above me and hit a kid. this is why I alsways bring my glove.