NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-05-2023, 05:51 PM

Default Ted Williams/Mike Epstein 1969 Topps - Value Question

Hi everyone, I know this isn't a typical post for this section, but I'm not sure where else it would go and I need some advice.

I've been offered the chance to buy a dual signed copy of the 1969 Topps "Ted Shows How" card, featuring Ted Williams as manager of the Senators with player Mike Epstein. I'm confident the autographs are authentic and the card is in pretty decent condition (both signed in blue, Epstein in sharpie and Ted in ballpoint).

I haven't been able to find any comps online, and I really have no idea what a good price for this card would be. Has anyone seen any sales or have an idea of what a fair price would be? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2023, 06:14 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The attached image shows records of PSA authenticated sales of just the Williams signature, albeit a few years ago. Not sure that having Epstein would increase the value. He's still alive, and autograph collectors care much more about Williams, especially since his head thawed out, he won't be able to sign anymore.
Maybe $750 now if it was PSA authenticated. The cards shown also have nice eye appeal; if the condition of the one you're talking about is not good, you might be looking at less than these sales?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230805_190728_Chrome.jpg (127.8 KB, 340 views)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:40 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsNext View Post
Hi everyone, I know this isn't a typical post for this section, but I'm not sure where else it would go and I need some advice.

I've been offered the chance to buy a dual signed copy of the 1969 Topps "Ted Shows How" card, featuring Ted Williams as manager of the Senators with player Mike Epstein. I'm confident the autographs are authentic and the card is in pretty decent condition (both signed in blue, Epstein in sharpie and Ted in ballpoint).

I haven't been able to find any comps online, and I really have no idea what a good price for this card would be. Has anyone seen any sales or have an idea of what a fair price would be? Thanks!
I think you are better off looking at this as an autographed card of Ted Williams with ‘what’s his name signing too’ if that makes any sense.

Good luck to you on getting this from a Senators fan!

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:10 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I'm shocked sales are that high. Hell, I'd go $200 max for Williams. Epstein defacing the card brings the value way down IMO.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:20 PM

I think some people are living in the past. A clean Ted Williams Sharpie auto on an EX or better Topps card from his managerial years, authenticated by one of the majors, is easily worth $800 or more in my opinion. I don’t think Epstein’s supplemental auto would make much of a difference on price. Depends on the collector.

Edited to add: If Ted’s auto is ballpoint then maybe drop 25% — so let’s say $600+.

Last edited by sreader3; 08-10-2023 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I think some people are living in the past. A clean Ted Williams Sharpie auto on an EX or better Topps card from his managerial years, authenticated by one of the majors, is easily worth $800 or more in my opinion. I don’t think Epstein’s supplemental auto would make much of a difference on price. Depends on the collector.

Edited to add: If Ted’s auto is ballpoint then maybe drop 25% — so let’s say $600+.
If you think this is where Williams autos are at, I will sell all of mine today....many bought here over the past 10 years for a quarter of the prices you're claiming.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:43 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Not sure where the value of $800 is coming g from, but I don't see a Williams card like that being more than around $500 on average.
Dual signed might sell at the high end of the range to someone who is collecting that set. They will pay a bit more for the dual signatures to save time and risk sending it for the other person to sign. If someone just wants a signed card of Williams, they might play less for the dual signed. The second auto might detract from Ted in their mind.
Here are a couple examples that I used for my analysis.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-13-2023, 04:33 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Find the right buyer and wait to sell, you get closer to the high end. Need to sell fast or run at auction and you sell for half or so.

When people come onto a site looking for a value, they're looking for a reasonable range. I think we've already presented that.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:04 PM

I follow mostly 1972 Topps. The ‘72 ballpoint that sold for $650 is an uggo. I would not let my ‘72 go for less than $1K and have confidence I could get it.

I would pay $500+ for an EX+ Ted card with flawless PSA/DNA authenticated Sharpie auto from ‘69, ‘70 or ‘71 and am not even in the market. PM me.

To each his own.

Last edited by sreader3; 08-14-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:08 AM
edward

Many people prefer ballpoint autographs because they're more likely to be vintage, a lot of people don't really like sharpie autographs on vintage cards. I don't really care either way as long as the autograph is clear and easy to see.
Old 08-20-2023, 02:59 AM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Sold last night in Love of the Game auction...card in not that great condition, BLACK sharpie signature graded a 9 (grader must have been severely vision impaired - sharpie very streaky on the "T")...including the buyer's penalty = $1,560.

Screenshot_20230820_044826_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by Kaneen; 08-20-2023 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:14 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I am one of those that prefers a strong fountain pen or ballpoint over a sharpie. I kinda hate fat sharpie sigs.

I cringe at nearly every Tito Francona sig I see on vintage cards because he loved the fat sharpie…just ugly 🤣

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-21-2023, 10:41 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I am one of those that prefers a strong fountain pen or ballpoint over a sharpie. I kinda hate fat sharpie sigs.
Same here, with the exception of the ones I got TTM.