NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Tim Odeen

Default Leland's LOA Credibility?

I just bought a signed Tris Speaker magazine pic from Leland's ebay auctions. It only had Leland's LOA and no TPA opinion. It was part of a larger estate that was being sold. I have received a couple opinions as to whether to seek a TPA opinion: some say Leland's is legit and not to worry, and another opinion was it was funny an auction house would authenticate an item it had a personal stake in ($) and that I should get a second opinion. What is the general opinion of this body of bloggers?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I would trust them more than the Tpa's.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Their LOA is considered as reputable in the hobby as anyone's. You can do what you want, but I don't see a need to pay the fees and send it to a TPA. If you want second opinions, post a photo of the signature here.

I don't see what's wrong with an auction house issuing its own LOA. Unless the LOA is wrong.

Last edited by drcy; 07-17-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They are an advertiser and Josh is a pretty good hobby friend, so take that into account. But I have always heard from most hobbyists that they do a very good job on authenticating autos, photos etc......
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm not an autograph expert and don't pretend to be one, but, across the wide scape of collectibles, is one of the most reliable authenticity-wise auction houses out there.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I would trust them more than the Tpa's.
I second this.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Default JimStinson

Nothing personal to be gained or lost here as I don't know him and have only spoken a couple times but most hobby veterans (including myself) will tell you that Leland's Mike Heffner is one of the best in the biz regarding autographs.

BUYING baseball autographs
stinsonsports.com
Old 07-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Tim Odeen

I bought the autograph without a TPA on Leland's reputation as a knowledgeable auction house. I just didn't know for resale if it would be an issue (but I don't plan on reselling it - I'm just a collector). I also don't have questions about the signature because as far as I can tell it looks as genuine as any signature already authenticated on ebay. I just like having the peace of mind when showing off my collection as to say that my autos are authentic.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I bought the autograph without a TPA on Leland's reputation as a knowledgeable auction house. I just didn't know for resale if it would be an issue (but I don't plan on reselling it - I'm just a collector). I also don't have questions about the signature because as far as I can tell it looks as genuine as any signature already authenticated on ebay. I just like having the peace of mind when showing off my collection as to say that my autos are authentic.
There is no "Magic Wand" when it comes to authenticating autographs , its like this , EYEBALLS + EXPERIENCE +REPUTATION = THE RESULT

BUYING BASEBALL AUTORAPHS
stinsonsports.com
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I'm willing to bet most on here will not see an item in your collection and feel it's real because it has a letter from PSA or JSA.

Ken
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Default JimStinson

Let me try and paint a different picture for you...and this relates to ALL REPUTABLE AUTOGRAPH SELLERS , who put YEARS of experience and their reputations on the line every time they sell an autograph....

Now imagine for a second that Gordon Ramsey or Wolfgang Puck or ANY famous chef has just prepared for you his "signature dish" , and before you take a bite you take the plate and run over to "Moe's diner" and ask Moe if in his opinion your "Chicken Francese" was cooked properly, Moe looks the dish over and says "Give me a hundred bucks and I'll tell ya"...

BUYING BASEBALL AUTOGRAPHS
stinsonsports.com
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I'm willing to bet most on here will not see an item in your collection and feel it's real because it has a letter from PSA or JSA.

Ken

I would agree, but times are changing. I read the blogs about botched TPA opinions and sometimes you just don't know. But JSA and PSA does help the re-sale value. One of my local respected card shops who offered his LOA is no longer around and someone in Florida would have no idea who he is. PSA is nationwide.

Tags
leland's, tris speaker