NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2021, 02:27 AM
Avery Singh II

Default Need help on 1949 Leaf Babe Ruth?!

Hey guys horrible way to start my first post off but ive been dragging my feet to posting around on here and always get stuck reading as there is soo much great knowledge flung around and have learned lots! Befor i ask for a second opinion here i will preface this and say that yes i own some 49 leaf cards but no i dont own the big boy and maybe thiis drove me there. I believe what i can make out as the half tone printing in different areas and it doesnt appear to be a intentionally mistreated card for aging purposes but the back throws me off and the wide variance on the print colors with this card as disclosed through members and psa etc. I really am stumped but leaning the real way so i went after it as seller had no blemish and i seen they have been posting what appears to be collection purchased wares from time eras and this recent one fits. blah blah right anyway heres the link and i would greatly appreciate some blunt experienced straight to the point feedback. I have been scouring through a lot of user FrankWakefield's posts but struggled to find a cracker jack thread he referenced to make a printout for keeping handy etc...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27478374184...p2047675.l2557

Appreciate the help ahead of time and criticism and polishing i am sure i will receive lol
Old 05-04-2021, 02:33 AM
Avery Singh II

again apologies for being that guy that posts his first time about stupid ish but you all have been my secret teachers that i created this account weeks ago to get started being active and discussing things and sharing on my end and no excuses just been a 1 man band on my store and new newborn running around which is why i am awake at ungodly hours to get things done lol I am very meticulous and have a good methodology for internet buying that has worked for me but ive been itching to wade into this era big time and couldnt help myself when i seen it and believe i was seeing signs of natural wear? shtty pics tho and vibrant deep colors that are bleeding ever so slightly through on back like a dempsey i have/had that i recently sold. I have very little experience so far here though and need a nice nudge as to the take so i dont waste my time as i can still cancel if need be before early morning otherwise itl be on my loupe and microscope when i get it and will post my findings one way or the other! Hoping it is a certain way and not the playing tag way!
Old 05-04-2021, 03:26 AM
Avery Singh II

The one thing that stuck out for me i have yet to see on any reprints or forgeries i have searched through is the ink bleed through that can happen on these cards unless i am off basis there due to short sample sizing in person but i do study a TON of imagery to key on identifying marks of authenticity for a given era but i wonder just what is happening with the paper from backside which almost looked like a halfway curt through to lineup a rounded corner leaving the front layer in tact and im guessing would sand from there down? or is it an optical illusion and paper peeled back is all? the vibrant inks looked great but the hat color combo and a few different variances slightly just through me into a box but i felt good enough about the few things i feel have not been seen by me at least to happen in the fake game like the ink bleed through from color fill...
Old 05-04-2021, 03:55 AM
Avery Singh II

i definitely just chalked the backside up to glue paste residue as was a common thing back then from what i understand! I will definitely update when i get it with high res scans etc and hope to get some feedback soon from anyone experienced past my nerd reading phase! went ahead and snapped the front and back from listing to grab someone's attention too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe.jpg (63.6 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg babe back.jpg (71.4 KB, 404 views)
Old 05-04-2021, 05:59 AM
Scott Russell

It's fake.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-04-2021, 06:26 AM
octavio ranzola

Horrible
Old 05-04-2021, 10:43 AM
Avery Singh II

That bad??? Damn ok gonna try and get to cancel otherwise itl be going back immediately upon delivery but at least i can document the card if they pull the its shipped bs thing already on me not that i am sure it matters? So for my knowledge is ot just the overall appearance or specific things i need to pay attention too??
Old 05-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Brian K

Default It's in wear spots

Among other issues of the print quality, the tale is in the wear spots. when the distressed spots are a stark contrast to the back paper, that is usually an indicator of a reprint.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:56 AM
Avery Singh II

Ok. My exuberance definately got the better of me but having some of these cards didnt seem completely right so i had to hop on here and ask for con. I was hoping this was the result of the whole glueing cards thing but then never seen that effect on front before yet and seems like the card was almost shellacked lol
Old 05-04-2021, 11:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguywithadot View Post
Ok. My exuberance definately got the better of me but having some of these cards didnt seem completely right so i had to hop on here and ask for con. I was hoping this was the result of the whole glueing cards thing but then never seen that effect on front before yet and seems like the card was almost shellacked lol
Also, it's always good to look at all aspects. That card generally has fairly poor centering. The one here is better than about 95% of them. That is at least a yellow flag.

Here is one I currently own for comparison.....This one has nice centering for the card but yours is way better. Also the other factors, as mentioned, seal the deal.

Last edited by Leon; 05-04-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Scott Russell

Also, dig a little. This guy's previous big card sale is $100, suddenly he has a $5000 card and he's letting it go cheaply? And the other thing he sells is jewelry. I don't know if you could find two areas with more counterfeiters than cards and jewelry.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-04-2021, 12:47 PM
Avery Singh II

true that and i looked at that AFTER the fact lol. I find myself getting trigger happy on stuff like this sometimes due to lost nostalgia of being a kid wishing to own LOL but ends up the same. Just gotta keep on keeping on. Really was just thrown off by the paste like glue but didnt seem right and the skewed pics etc and the hat color was throwing me off a bit along with overall warm tones of atypical reprints. But i seen the color bleed on backside and couldnt figure that out as i said ive been buying a lot and a good handful processing a short stack of leafs and bowmans and found no indication of bleed through color fill yet on reprint. Would love to know if thats just an anomaly and is not akin to one or the other going forward please...Nice ruth man that looks sweet!! Love the black inserts from sgc and the way they contrast!

Seller told me this LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth.jpg (46.1 KB, 289 views)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Interesting also that the Mantle red heart and bowman Ted Williams card also have the dark shading around the edge and the white rubbed/sanded corners on the back just like the Ruth. If you are going to fake aging don't use the same technique on every card. LOL. Definitely fakes.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 05-04-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:52 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Also, dig a little. This guy's previous big card sale is $100, suddenly he has a $5000 card and he's letting it go cheaply? And the other thing he sells is jewelry. I don't know if you could find two areas with more counterfeiters than cards and jewelry.
I personally wouldn't go based on this. My best and largest purchase was from a seller that previously had only sold $1 and $2 cards. It's a case by case issue
Old 05-04-2021, 03:21 PM
Andrew

I've found that "WOW LOOK $$$$$$$$$$$" in the listing is usually a pretty bad sign too.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:13 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

All collectors make buying mistakes. So long as we learn from them.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default You got off easy

And this "almost" mistake didnt even cost you anything! Smart move on your part to get some advice before it was too late. Many of my educational moments in life I had to pay RETAIL for with the money long gone and me feeling like a fool..... but this is happening less as I get older.... BUT IT STILL HAPPENS Im embarassed to admit. Glad you dodged that bullet! But there are still plenty of bullets flying out there...... keep your head down and proceed with caution! Rocky
Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 PM
Avery Singh II

Ive been shadow learning from you guys reading reading reading and more reading and historical research of production practices etc but my knowledge specifically goes robustly to the late 60s range and i have only dabbled in this era minus the 56 set as its my fav. I know when to hit the lifeline button and know that i have to pay it forward myself and will do so on my end in any capacity i can! im a staunch 70s and newer guy with plenty of baseball to 50s mixed iin but always been enamored with the 49 and 48 bowman and leaf stuff and its always been layups based off what ive learned but i have been perplexed by the whole glue pasting thing of old and thought for a moment thats what it was but there was no explanation for the front or the situation surrounding the card although i like the idea of hooking the fish and playing it before i break it off just in case so nothing gets missed LOL i do understand and appreciate your guys time and knowledge as it is not worthless to me and so if there are any high grade raw you guys ever seek in the 70s and newer thats my hunting specialty and am always happy to pass along good deals to those hunting for pc that i pass up as i go due to margin!

Other than that i am not sure i can offer much to this forum as a 30 year old due to my collecting era expertise although i have only explored this forum heavily for old so idk if theres newer aged collectors here and will have to explore and be active as i do appreciate yalls help tremendously and ecstatically!
Old 05-04-2021, 10:39 PM
Avery Singh II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 View Post
I personally wouldn't go based on this. My best and largest purchase was from a seller that previously had only sold $1 and $2 cards. It's a case by case issue
i can show you perfect examples of this too where knowledge trumps that safety net mantra but it does serve well to adopt that practice and remember to verify still instead of ignoring if it wont take too much of a person's time!

heres one perfect example that i would love for someone to show me otherwise as to date there is one telltale sign above all else i have yet to unearth on jb fakes and its the rub spot hidden ink ghosting from age. No reprints ive ever seen have been able to show this for obvious limitations on their end

everyone was simply gun shy because well naturally so it was labeled so and so whoever got this made off nicely! No it wasnt me lol i had a bid dropped high enough and was stuck in house hunting with wife and kids and was too late to bump it as i lost by 2$ -_- but i have had a few now so no sweat lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim brown posting.jpg (73.9 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg jim brown description.jpg (60.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg jim brown back.jpg (68.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Avery Singh II

and not to self promote etc just posting this link to my feebay store so you guys can access me there as i to have an ocd tendency of being dormant during stretches when im busy with something and it give everyone a chance to see im not full of bs either i suppose to see some of the wares im peddling LMAO

https://www.ebay.com/str/singhprospecting

Feel free to offer opinions on anything i am doing and suggestions to make things better from a way that we the collective buyer would like to see or not see as i take that criticism and absorb and utilize it to try and better what i am doing!

I do find you guys to be an invaluable organic breathing source of encyclopedias that is a must have in our hobby as it gets sharkier and shadier with the influx of money coming into it!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:06 AM
Avery Singh II

in the sake of money saved also the 4 gentlemen that did alert me and offer help on this situation if you go to my store and pick out a card you want under 20$ and ill send it your way on my dime as a thank you!!!
leon
yanks
aquarian
rjackson

If you do not see anything now if you look feel free to cash it in whenever or use a 20% off whatever you want order size! one time of course LOL and if you see anything say high grade set break and your looking for anything in those sets if not posted i probably have it just haven't posted it so lmk and pm me here or on feebay!

Or one other option i can add not if it means anything to you yet but if you tell me one card and condition your seeking and a price point that is realistic i will eventually find it and its yours for the cost incurred no strings i will show you everything minus my account number LOL

I do appreciate you guys and the work ive witnessed for a while on the forums as ive referenced and read through quite a bit here! I do not want to come off as a rude young man or unappreciative nor am i looking for anything other than a thank you offering and also to rectify my a hole entry post to the forum seeking help like a leech without proper introduction!!!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for the offer. In my experiences this forum pays it forward a lot. I never want anything for helping except good conversation and friendly folks to collect with. And I think my fellow members mostly feel the same way.

Quote:
in the sake of money saved also the 4 gentlemen that did alert me and offer help on this situation if you go to my store and pick out a card you want under 20$ and ill send it your way on my dime as a thank you!!!
leon
yanks
aquarian
rjackson

If you do not see anything now if you look feel free to cash it in whenever or use a 20% off whatever you want order size! one time of course LOL and if you see anything say high grade set break and your looking for anything in those sets if not posted i probably have it just haven't posted it so lmk and pm me here or on feebay!

Or one other option i can add not if it means anything to you yet but if you tell me one card and condition your seeking and a price point that is realistic i will eventually find it and its yours for the cost incurred no strings i will show you everything minus my account number LOL

I do appreciate you guys and the work ive witnessed for a while on the forums as ive referenced and read through quite a bit here! I do not want to come off as a rude young man or unappreciative nor am i looking for anything other than a thank you offering and also to rectify my a hole entry post to the forum seeking help like a leech without proper introduction!!!
Old 05-05-2021, 11:03 AM
octavio ranzola

Getting emails from this stranger directing me to his ebay store ,,lol

Last edited by rjackson44; 05-05-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:32 PM
Avery Singh II

feel free to paraphrase but definitely not what it said but i digress LOL lucky and aquarian and yanks got the same extended offer for your guys help... might be the one thing i have noticed from reading along these years is the drama that drums up for nothing. Im too new nor ambitious enough to feel the need to explain myself when it is not just a me and you exchange...
Old 05-06-2021, 05:53 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
feel free to paraphrase but definitely not what it said but i digress LOL lucky and aquarian and yanks got the same extended offer for your guys help... might be the one thing i have noticed from reading along these years is the drama that drums up for nothing. Im too new nor ambitious enough to feel the need to explain myself when it is not just a me and you exchange...
Not from you lol the other rocket scientist thx for offer that was nice of you but where here to help
Old 05-06-2021, 06:39 AM
Avery Singh II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Not from you lol the other rocket scientist thx for offer that was nice of you but where here to help
Yea not sure who the other rocket scientist is...aquarian is only person i got anything from...

And they are or at least used to be called trading cards for a reason lol so think of it as me trading you guys for your energy lol. I hear you though and that is exactly what bought me to the hobby as a kid with how helpful and transparent the og community always was looking out for each other!
Old 05-06-2021, 10:25 AM
octavio ranzola

Went to your site nice cards good luck man
Old 05-06-2021, 10:31 AM
Avery Singh II

maybe i am being a douchee partially but really feels like that phrase is to imply sarcasm LOL
Old 05-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
maybe i am being a douchee partially but really feels like that phrase is to imply sarcasm LOL
You probably are. Fortunately several A-holes have got shown the door over the years and most of the members here aren't being sarcastic. If your comment was directed to Ocatavio, I can assure you he was truly being complimentary. Take folks on this site as good until you learn otherwise. That isn't the way it always is on other anonymous-permitted sites.
Also, be careful as your full name needs to be out here per the rule in bold at the top of every page. Just for future reference.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:14 PM
Avery Singh II

copy that Lucky and i will fix that immediately! Apologies Rjackson44 as i am not an a hole and strive to be the polar opposite and apologize for interpreting that as a potential sarcastic statement! No exuses on my end. II have been up for 66 hours now straight (don't ask and no not a drug addict just OCD and have a ton going on in a good way) and i am definately starting to feel the effects from my crazy schedule past few weeks. I seriously got rubbed the wrong way in a pm i got from someone on the forum yesterday that felt like they were trying to depreciate everything i was doing and had outlandish takes on some things and never followed up to my reply explaining and offering to show them some stuff i have learned through deep analysis of slabs through the years...

do you know if anyone has documented fake Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan's on the forum yet??? I will make a thread for it as i have seen them randomly albeit with more occurrence lately since the boom and came across a beautiful still up listing for pulling excellent shots to show the garbage lol I will try a search in a moment and see if a thread is created for it otherwise stop what i am doing on the store and get some reference material posted that should hopefully be concise and clear to help!

Again apologies Rjackson44 and i will fix it lucky as i know i read that in the pm area or somewhere last night or this morning as i was pming you!

Tags
1949, babe ruth, fake or real, leaf