NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-24-2023, 10:35 AM
Mike

Default 1980's Unopened Items

Did you see the prices on the current REA Auction ? I didn't know the prices for 1980's unopened wax and sets material was that high .
Old 04-24-2023, 11:18 AM

The Henderson rookie has really driven the prices for boxes & packs.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:18 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

I always found it insane what 80's wax brought (even late 70's)...people buy wax boxes for 3-5X (or more) than the BV is on the set...and you can usually find most sets at 33-50% of BV.....so essentially 6-8 times more than a complete set in nice condition....all for the chase for a "10" or to hold for investment. Especially the sets with only one real good RC (Henderson/80, Ripken/82, Mattingly/84, etc.) make no sense to me. To each their own but I know what I would choose and sold off ALL of my wax during COVID....never thought twice about it.

Side note...the prices people ask for junk wax with "X" star player on them...not even RC's....hilarious IMO....just check out our 80's BST.

Last edited by isiahfan; 04-25-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:53 AM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post
Side note...the prices people ask for junk wax with "X" star player on them...not even RC's....hilarious IMO....just check out our 80's BST.
Which one's are you referring to?
Old 04-25-2023, 12:43 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Any of them...I just don't get it at all.

I do get that there is a market obviously...and as stated I have sold into that market. For example I sold a 1985 Topps wax box two years for $600...I know could easily buy 15 or more complete 85 sets in NM for that.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:40 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Any of them...I just don't get it at all.

I do get that there is a market obviously...and as stated I have sold into that market. For example I sold a 1985 Topps wax box two years for $600...I know could easily buy 15 or more complete 85 sets in NM for that.
I wonder if this isn't a bit of an educated gamble on the part of some more "investor-like" collectors who are betting on future appreciation to such unopened items. As you noted, you can still purchase these sets for relatively low amounts, but finding unopened boxes may start becoming more difficult as time goes by. People opening those boxes nowadays, looking for those few, elusive, high-grade stars/HOFers that may be in them, just keeps reducing the number of unopened boxes out there. Just a SWAG.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:50 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I wonder if this isn't a bit of an educated gamble on the part of some more "investor-like" collectors who are betting on future appreciation to such unopened items. As you noted, you can still purchase these sets for relatively low amounts, but finding unopened boxes may start becoming more difficult as time goes by. People opening those boxes nowadays, looking for those few, elusive, high-grade stars/HOFers that may be in them, just keeps reducing the number of unopened boxes out there. Just a SWAG.

I agree with your reasoning...I am not a "slabber" so I just don't agree in the practice. Using the 1985 Topps set as an example....I would bet you could buy at least 15 (probably more) NM sets for the price of 1 unopened wax box.....and if you get a wax box you will most likely get 2/3 of the "big 3" rookies...and if they are not centered or sharp (i.e., "8" or below") you just lost practically your entire investment....where if you get the 15 sets...you know you are getting 45 NM copies of the "big 3" (not to mention 15 of every star). Odds are you will get many 7s-8s...maybe better...hit a few 9s or even 10s of any star and bingo you can sell to breakeven or re-up for 15 more sets...whatever your end game is. I am more collector than flipper/investor...but I especially don't get buying a (see 1) pack for say $100...when you can buy the same set for $10....never will.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:30 AM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Everyone is just crossing their fingers for those PSA/SGC 10's.
That are now increasingly harder and harder to get from both companies.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:44 AM
Dave

The unopened box itself is the collectible now, not what's inside it.

If you were to pull a Rickey out of a guaranteed unopened wax box (it's very conceivable you don't given the size of the set), I doubt very much it's going to grade any higher then a 7 or 8 if you're lucky enough for it not to have a gum or wax stain, or for it to be wildly off-center...which might pay for 1 or 2 of those packs, out of the sealed case box in REA.

Better off with Vending or Cello, if you're mining for graded cards, but it seems the wax sells for more, probably because it presents better as a collectible itself, not because of the possible PSA 10 that resides inside of it.

Then again, I'm not entrenched in the "Breakers" world...so I don't really know how those outfits are affecting the price of vintage wax boxes.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:26 PM
Mike

I agree, the Wax Box is a collectable by itself. No reason to open the box at these high prices hoping for a certain card. If a person was trying to get high graded cards I would buy the factory sealed sets ( at a much lower price) and you know the card will be there and probably in at least the same or better condition. So buy the wax box and kept unopened and buy the Factory Set at less than 1/2 the price and get the cards graded (if your an investor).
Old 04-26-2023, 05:46 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I agree, the Wax Box is a collectable by itself. No reason to open the box at these high prices hoping for a certain card. If a person was trying to get high graded cards I would buy the factory sealed sets ( at a much lower price) and you know the card will be there and probably in at least the same or better condition. So buy the wax box and kept unopened and buy the Factory Set at less than 1/2 the price and get the cards graded (if your an investor).
Exactly my point, the unopened wax box is the investment/collectible itself you're now "gambling" on appreciating.

Think of what an unopened box/pack of Old Judge cigarettes, known to have an OJ card inside, would potentially go for in today's market, if one is even known to exist. Can only imagine what some serious collectors would pay for one, with absolutely no intention of ever opening it. Meanwhile, unopened '80s wax is still being opened today by those hoping to hit the lottery ang get a big cash windfall by pulling a star/HOFer card in that ever elusive 10 grade. And every time they do, that's another one less of that particular unopened wax product that now exists.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:43 PM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Exactly my point, the unopened wax box is the investment/collectible itself you're now "gambling" on appreciating.

Think of what an unopened box/pack of Old Judge cigarettes, known to have an OJ card inside, would potentially go for in today's market, if one is even known to exist. Can only imagine what some serious collectors would pay for one, with absolutely no intention of ever opening it. Meanwhile, unopened '80s wax is still being opened today by those hoping to hit the lottery ang get a big cash windfall by pulling a star/HOFer card in that ever elusive 10 grade. And every time they do, that's another one less of that particular unopened wax product that now exists.
Scored me a sweet OJ in this unopened pack!

Old 04-26-2023, 08:16 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
Scored me a sweet OJ in this unopened pack!

Sweet is right!
Old 04-29-2023, 07:56 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
I especially don't get buying a (see 1) pack for say $100...when you can buy the same set for $10....never will.
Thrill of the hunt?
Old 05-01-2023, 10:13 AM
Al Richter

As a set collector I like to have at least one unopened pack with each set. I have done that for Topps and Fleer but got late start on Bowman and so settled for wrappers

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-01-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:25 PM

And people are paying $35&up for a Panini football blaster that 9/10 times every card is pretty much worthless.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:11 AM
Eric Perry

It's refreshing to see reasonably priced material every now and then. This eBay seller seems to be a stand-up individual who offers customers quality merchandise at a fair price.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1985-Topps-eBay.jpg (39.5 KB, 103 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-28-2023, 02:04 PM

...and reasonable shipping costs.