NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-13-2023, 11:20 AM
Jeremy

Default Marshall Tucker Band

Any Marshall Tucker Band fans out there? I just snagged tickets to see them in July. Looking forward to seeing them!

Take the Highway is my favorite song, but most people would recognize "Can't you See" and "Heard it in a Love Song".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ALsr5phZo

They also have some of the coolest album cover art around!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mtb.jpg (200.2 KB, 188 views)
Old 04-13-2023, 11:45 AM

Toy Caldwell wrote all of the songs other than Fire On The Mountain, he voluntarily enlisted in the Marines and was wounded in Vietnam. He unfortunately died young thirty years ago due to a heart attack from cocaine use. I don’t know anything about the other members. I agree Take The Highway is a masterpiece.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

When I was growing up in NY, they were amazingly popular for a period of time. Around the same time that the Charlie Daniels band hit big with Devil Went Down to Georgia. Amazing they are still touring but clearly haven't broken through again like they did in the 70s.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-13-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Between them, the Allmans, and Skynrd, southern rock really flourished in the 70s.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:03 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Between them, the Allmans, and Skynrd, southern rock really flourished in the 70s.
AMEN to that!

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:16 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
AMEN to that!

+1

I love MTB! Their use of brass was unique in southern rock...at least as far as I have heard.

I do have to say that I much prefer the original lineup.

'The Last of the Singing Cowboys' is special!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-13-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

"Can't You See" (which I just put on, thank you!!) is truly one of the greatest songs of all time. Man, talk about feeling down about a girl. My gawd!!

And I used to play a game where I'd only put on the chorus of "Heard It in a Love Song" and ask people what he was saying. 99.9999999% of the time the answer would be, "I dunno...Purty little love song. Like a southern accent saying 'pretty'??"

Good times!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:22 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Back in 1974 (approx) I saw the Marshall Tucker Band at the LA Forum, and the opening band was KISS (who I'd never heard of) .
Larry
Old 04-13-2023, 04:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
"Can't You See" (which I just put on, thank you!!) is truly one of the greatest songs of all time. Man, talk about feeling down about a girl. My gawd!!

And I used to play a game where I'd only put on the chorus of "Heard It in a Love Song" and ask people what he was saying. 99.9999999% of the time the answer would be, "I dunno...Purty little love song. Like a southern accent saying 'pretty'??"

Good times!!
From memory, gonna find me a hole in the wall, gonna crawl inside and die

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-13-2023, 04:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
From memory, gonna find me a hole in the wall, gonna crawl inside and die
But only after he climbs a mountain, the highest mountain, and jumps off.
Man, that lady done did him wrong, and it still echoes through time a half a century later. Yowza.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
But only after he climbs a mountain, the highest mountain, and jumps off.
Man, that lady done did him wrong, and it still echoes through time a half a century later. Yowza.
Nothing in this life like being wrecked over a woman.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:27 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Got Alexa shuffling songs right now.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-16-2023, 10:29 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Credence Cleerwater, Bob Seger, Steve Miller, there was some great music back then. I got to see Allman Brothers play in 1975. They filled up what is now the State Farm Center in Champaign IL. They could really jam.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2023, 08:54 AM

Really agree on Take the Highway being a special song. I saw Marshall Tucker ,Charlie Daniels, and the Outlaws in 1976--Knoxville,Tenn. concert!
Old 06-07-2023, 06:21 AM
Joe

They are coming to Hope, Arkansas in August for the watermelon festival. Hope is 30 minutes from me and I have it marked on the calendar.
I think I saw them in the 70’s but I was stoned from 72-78 so…
Old 06-07-2023, 06:53 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I love MTB. You might be disappointed though. Doug Gray's voice is pretty much gone. The last time I saw them he barely sang. The audience sang Can't You See instead of the band.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 06-07-2023 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:04 AM
Bob Andrews

Saw them multiple times in the 70s/80s. Always put on a great live show. Haven't listened to them much lately. I do have a 'southern rock' playlist on my phone that is great to listen to while doing my walking.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Don't forget Molly Hatchet and Tom Petty. And ZZ Top fits the bill too.

MTB live:

https://youtu.be/dlc6xCPx60U

That show with Kiss opening for MTB sounds great. Just a little before my time. The show I wish I'd seen from when and where I could have gone was a show in the early 1980s here in LA with X, The Blasters and Los Lobos.

I still can't believe how long ago it was, you know? There's this video on Youtube from a Skynyrd show in 1977 in Oakland, one of the greatest live performances I've ever seen, and one of the comments was "Everyone's grandmas were hot". Yeah, time passes. Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/QxIWDmmqZzY

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-07-2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:47 PM
Todd Schultz

I was always partial to the Outlaws. Green Grass and High Tides Forever! Freeborn Man! And special Props for Harvey Dalton Arnold's Cold and Lonesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEkJFR69IXw
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-07-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

The show I wish I'd seen from when and where I could have gone was a show in the early 1980s here in LA with X, The Blasters and Los Lobos.
Adam,

Now we are talking. I saw John Doe solo, with Jill Sobule opening, at a tiny standing room only club in Arlington, VA in 2011. Later that year I saw X with all original members at a larger club in Alexandria, VA. They showed the movie "X-The Unheard Music" before the show. It was good to see all the original members as it seems Billy Zoom had not been playing with them. The same year I saw the Blasters, without Dave, at that same tiny club in Arlington and Dave with the Guilty Ones at the Alexandria club.

alvin.jpg

blasters.jpg

x more.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-15-2023, 04:35 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Michael thanks for sharing the album covers.

But back on Topic I saw MTB in 77 at MSG 20th row. I was not a big fan walking in but was walking out. Some Bands disappointed live but MTB did not. I thought much better live than on wax. Watching lead Guitar played with a Thumb.
I saw Ted Nugent at MSG in fall of 77 Nov 10th my ticket stub says Nugent/ Skynard but tragedy struck.still remember the funk that fell over my high school that Late October.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:35 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Michael thanks for sharing the album covers.

But back on Topic I saw MTB in 77 at MSG 20th row. I was not a big fan walking in but was walking out. Some Bands disappointed live but MTB did not. I thought much better live than on wax. Watching lead Guitar played with a Thumb.
I saw Ted Nugent at MSG in fall of 77 Nov 10th my ticket stub says Nugent/ Skynard but tragedy struck.still remember the funk that fell over my high school that Late October.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:33 PM
J Stone

Oh man, I know people have short attention spans these days but I hadn't watched this one in quite a while. 23 minutes of southern rock guitar jamming. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I was always partial to the Outlaws. Green Grass and High Tides Forever! Freeborn Man! And special Props for Harvey Dalton Arnold's Cold and Lonesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEkJFR69IXw