NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2019, 07:16 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Trimmed Green Cobb at National

Rumor has it that a green Cobb previously returned to seller as trimmed suddenly reappeared at National with another seller and was dumped on a new unsuspecting rube.
Just reporting the rumor on the street. Not that there are any bad people there or anything.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Rumor has it that a green Cobb previously returned to seller as trimmed suddenly reappeared at National with another seller and was dumped on a new unsuspecting rube.
Just reporting the rumor on the street. Not that there are any bad people there or anything.
Any names or what green Cobb?

I heard there is a guy there that sells counterfeit cards with forged autographs on them.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:43 PM
John Wondowski

Bizarre post - just sayin’.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:30 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Correct. Was an authentic. Went through Moser. Became a PSA/PWCC 2. Returned by buyer to Red Zone (where he purchased it) as doctored/"conserved." And now back in the wild on the National floor at Heartland as a PSA 2 like nothing ever happened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/

Last edited by jason.1969; 08-03-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:42 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Correct. Was an authentic. Went through Moser. Became a PSA/PWCC 2. Returned by buyer and refunded by Brent as doctored/"conserved." And now back in the wild on the National floor as a PSA 2 like nothing ever happened.

So does this mean Brent refunded on the card, admitting it had been altered, and then simply resold it? You'd think he would have defaced the PSA flip identifying the card as altered, at minimum, or broken it out of the PSA case so it would, at least for awhile, not be incorrectly labeled a PSA 2.

If the chain of ownership of that card, and what's been happening with it, can be clearly established, I do not think it would go well if introduced as evidence of misrepresentation (fraud) in court.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:54 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
So does this mean Brent refunded on the card, admitting it had been altered, and then simply resold it? You'd think he would have defaced the PSA flip identifying the card as altered, at minimum, or broken it out of the PSA case so it would, at least for awhile, not be incorrectly labeled a PSA 2.

If the chain of ownership of that card, and what's been happening with it, can be clearly established, I do not think it would go well if introduced as evidence of misrepresentation (fraud) in court.
I had an error in my original response that I've now corrected. Brent/PWCC not in the resell loop. Main point is that card is back in the wild with some unsuspecting buyer sure to pounce.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 08-03-2019, 06:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

In a nutshell this is the problem with Sloan's position that buyers of altered cards should go to the seller not PSA. Indeed, it the card has gone up in price, it's just a profit opportunity for the seller. And even if not just put it back out there.

Good solution, Steve.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-03-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:14 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

As the cards are already altered I would propose a scarlet letter "A" for altered embossed directly on the front and back of the card. Pretty much nothing else will protect the hobby from garbage, sad as the fact may be.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In a nutshell this is the problem with Sloan's position that buyers of altered cards should go to the seller not PSA. Indeed, it the card has gone up in price, it's just a profit opportunity for the seller. And even if not just put it back out there.

Good solution, Steve.
Exactly

PSA should hold the responsibility for buying back the card and paying the victim the difference.

PSA is a total BS company built on lies....they’re supposed to be the Police in this Meaning Authority In wether a Card is good or not....they’re as corrupt as the card doctors....

The registry is farce/BS marketing.... their pop report is bogus and their company can’t determine what is altered and what is not.....the Industry has been ripe for fraud since the Wagner....PSA’s OPINION is worthless

All the bitching and complaining is worthless if people don’t stop using them and buying their product....

I suspect after the dust settles PSA and the card doctors will continue this at even a more extreme clip....

Zero accountability no card doctors will be charged no responsibility and liability will be placed on PSA ....no change in this industry except for monetary value Of graded cards.

It’s going to Crash....when it does it’s going to be a big crash

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-03-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:18 AM

Jason, so Heartland (whoever that is), is currently selling the card? If so, I think a more effective header would be “Heartland at booth ____ is selling a green Cobb known to be altered. Beware”

Steve, thanks for pointing this out. We need to police ourselves.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 08-03-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

There are many collectors who worship the slab so much that they value the plastic and the number more than the actual baseball card.

There are really two hobbies now. Some of us collect cards, and some of us collect grades. For the grade collectors it really doesn't matter how the grade got there. For them the scandal is actually a feature and not a bug.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:23 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Jason, so Heartland (whoever that is), is currently selling the card? If so, I think a more effective header would be “Heartland at booth ____ is selling a green Cobb known to be altered. Beware”

Steve, thanks for pointing this out. We need to police ourselves.
Correct. I will be there today and look to see if it's still out or has been purchased.

I don't know that they know what they have, but one would think any dealer would check the lists before touching a $5K card these days.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Banned

for what it’s worth, Heartland is Bill Goodwin’s new company, which he started after Beckett cut ties with him.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:44 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
for what it’s worth, Heartland is Bill Goodwin’s new company, which he started after Beckett cut ties with him.
shocking!!!! On facebook the guy who was considering purchasing this green cobb stated it was sold shortly after he decided to pass.

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-03-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
shocking!!!! On facebook the guy who was considering purchasing this green cobb stated it was sold shortly after he decided to pass.
And an altered significant card re-enters the hobby. Good result, Steve.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-03-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
From what I hear, Bill Goodwin is a real winner.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:53 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
From what I hear, Bill Goodwin is a real winner.
Legend of the hobby!
Old 08-03-2019, 06:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Legend of the hobby!
His prediction of the 55 Koufax in PSA 8 being worth 200K has not quite materialized.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:58 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Legend of the hobby!
Aren't they all.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:59 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
His prediction of the 55 Koufax in PSA 8 being worth 200K has not quite materialized.
Well he tried!!!!
Old 08-03-2019, 07:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well he tried!!!!
I think the best he could do on that one was 80, and I would bet that was a fake sale like so many of PWCC's in that time period apparently were. There was one buyer in particular who was "winning" cards like that left and right in several of the AHs but not paying for them.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-03-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:12 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
I think the best he could do on that one was 80, and I would bet that was a fake sale like so many of PWCC's in that time period apparently were. There was one buyer in particular who was "winning" cards like that left and right in several of the AHs but not paying for them.
Well im content with my raw g-ish koufax rookie in my hof binder!!
Old 08-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Correct. Was an authentic. Went through Moser. Became a PSA/PWCC 2. Returned by buyer to Red Zone (where he purchased it) as doctored/"conserved." And now back in the wild on the National floor at Heartland as a PSA 2 like nothing ever happened.

That's PAR FOR THE COURSE
Old 08-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post

It’s going to Crash....when it does it’s going to be a big crash
No it's not.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Johnny MaZilli

[QUOTE=samosa4u;1905083]No it's not.[/QUOT

I think graded cards need to come down 40% for this to heal.....that would be my non recession crash predictions.

My biggest fear is with no crash that alteration and shill/no winning bids will become acceptable as the norm in this industry....
Old 08-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

[QUOTE=Johnny630;1905096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
No it's not.[/QUOT

I think graded cards need to come down 40% for this to heal.....that would be my non recession crash predictions.

My biggest fear is with no crash that alteration and shill/no winning bids will become acceptable as the norm in this industry....
Perhaps they already have.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Ben North

[QUOTE=Peter_Spaeth;1905107]
Quote:

Some have, a while back I was debating on either a 52 Topps Eddie Mathews or a T206 Red Cobb. So glad I went with the Mathews(Thanks Ted). Prices are slightly up on Eddie. I have still been watching the Red Cobb and the prices are down from a few months ago.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

[QUOTE=Peter_Spaeth;1905107]
Quote:

Id have a damm hard time spending more than $1000 on a graded card at this point. Unless I knew a whole lot about it’s history.