NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2022, 07:29 PM
Cliff B.

Default T206 buying advice

Hi All, I’ve been a member for the past year and I love the site. It’s great to be “around” people who love baseball as much as you all do. I’m posting this because I’m interested in buying a T206 card and you guys seems to know the ropes. My dream budget is $2,500 but in reality it’s probably much lower than that. I’d like to ask the following questions and I’m interested in what you have to say in response.
- is it better to buy a HOFer at a lower grade or someone else at a higher grade? I do have some preferred players
- are certain card backs preferable to others? I’ve read some, like Polar Bear, are more rare than Caporal, for example
- I assume buying a graded card is smarter than buying a raw card
- I don’t expect anyone to predict the future but is it “safe” to assume that these cards will always be special, even if they don’t appreciate tremendously in value? I’d buy the card because I love having it and looking at it, not because I expect to flip it and buy a new car
- how do I display the card? I’d kind of hate to buy it and then keep it hidden and out of view

I’m open to any and all suggestions or pointers. Thanks again!

Cliffyb
Old 01-02-2022, 07:40 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Just by asking those questions feels like you know what you’re doing. I’ll let others add their thoughts but in terms of the display I completely agree. Get a ub protection frame and hang it/them on a wall that doesn’t get a ton of sunlight and you should be set. Otherwise, for the most part, I’d say look for good deals on this site rather than on eBay where you’ll be paying taxes and the seller will be paying fees.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:41 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Meant uv protection
Old 01-02-2022, 07:49 PM

Default T206

With a 2500 budget I would buy the best Cy Young portrait you can find.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:15 PM

Regarding the displaying aspect.. with my " big cards" i buy a cheap reprint, and prominently display that copy.. and have my authentic card somewhere safe

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2022, 08:40 PM

My two cents:
Buy the best-looking card you can find of a player you like....regardless of grade.
If you don't have a particular player in mind, then I would def target a HOFer.
Several players have portrait and action cards from the set, of course, so determine which versions you like more. If I want to display a card its b/c it's beautiful, but often b/c there is a story you want to share. If you simply want to retain value and have a card to display I would go for a HOFer with a slightly more rare back, if possible.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:49 PM
Cliff B.

You guys are amazing for getting back to me. I really appreciate it. I hadn’t thought of the UV protection. Great idea. I’m sure the grading company cases don’t provide that. Should I even care about the card backs and which ones are more or less common? I supposed if I do see a card I like and I buy it then I should enjoy it no matter what is on the back, no?
Old 01-02-2022, 09:20 PM
Chris

The beauty of the T206 set is that there are so many different ways to do it, none of which are "wrong". In my opinion:

- is it better to buy a HOFer at a lower grade or someone else at a higher grade?

"Better" is a very subjective term, but for me personally, when we are talking about cards that are over 100 years old, grade doesn't matter. In fact, I prefer my T206s to look like they are 100 years old. The wrinkles, the rounded corners, the scuffs - they are all part of the journey that that particular card has been on, part of the story it is telling. All my graded T206s are 1s and 2s. As long as the card is in one piece, and the image is clearly viewable, it's ok with me. You will never go wrong with HOFers or very rare backs in any grade.

- are certain card backs preferable to others? I’ve read some, like Polar Bear, are more rare than Caporal, for example

In terms of scarcity and/or value, yes, definitely. There are whole posts/videos/academic papers (kidding, maybe?) on this, but generally speaking you have the cream of the crop: Drum, Uzit, Broad Leaf 460, Lenox Brown, Hindu Red for which you'll be paying several thousand dollars for low grade commons. You have your super premiums - Lenox Black, Broad Leaf 350, Carolina Brights, that are the next highest tier. Mid-level premiums - American Beauty 460, Hindu Brown, Cycle 460, Piedmont 42, where you can expect to pay about $500 for a low grade common. The most accessible level of premium backs - American Beauty 350 (frame and no frame), Sovereign 460, Tolstoi, El Principe De Gales, Sweet Cap 350-460 / 25, Cycle 350 - where you'll pay $200 - $400 for low grade commons; mid level backs - Old Mill, Sovereign 150, Sweet Cap overprints, Polar Bear, Sovereign 350 (apple and forest green), which demand a slightly higher premium than the common Piedmonts and Sweet Caps.

It depends what you want to do. For resale value, yes, PSA or SGC graded is usually better. I display my non-HOFers in a binder, so if I buy one that is graded I will crack it out. There is nothing wrong with buying raw cards from reputable dealers or esteemed collectors on this board.

- I don’t expect anyone to predict the future but is it “safe” to assume that these cards will always be special, even if they don’t appreciate tremendously in value? I’d buy the card because I love having it and looking at it, not because I expect to flip it and buy a new car

I believe that HOFers, especially the A list hall of famers in the set - Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Young, Speaker, and Lajoie will always retain and probably increase their value. Same for the higher level of offbacks.

- how do I display the card? I’d kind of hate to buy it and then keep it hidden and out of view

Nice, matted, UV protected frame on a wall or desk looks really nice.

If I were spending $2500 on T206s now, i would either try to get 2 low grade A list HOF portrait cards - you may be able to find a low grade Johnson and Speaker, or Young and Mathewson for that (Cobb probably slightly out of your price range at this point). OR I would buy several mid-tier HOFers / stars that would look really cool in a matted frame: Homerun Baker, John McGraw, Rube Waddell, Willie Keeler, etc. You could probably get 4 or 5 of them and create a nice display piece.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:28 PM
Cliff B.

Wow! Thank you!!!
Old 01-02-2022, 09:46 PM
Brendan Mullen

Buy an untrimmed unaltered Cy Young, Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson. Preferably with good centering and a lack of creases. It’s never going to decrease in value.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:55 AM
Cliff B.

Can’t thank you all enough! I’ll keep you updated. Have a Happy New Year!
Old 01-05-2022, 08:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Buy the card, not the holder!

Old 01-05-2022, 11:11 AM
Steve Birmingham

- is it better to buy a HOFer at a lower grade or someone else at a higher grade? I do have some preferred players

It depends on what you want more. A Hofer, especially a top tier one, as many have already pointed out will generally appreciate. But if there's a player whose story or career you're really into you can get a very nice example and still be under budget.

Some are, but generally the ones that make a big difference will put a much bigger dent in the budget. So I'd say don't worry about the back. If you see two cards that are nearly the same but one has a slightly tougher back. Like one Piedmont and the other Polar Bear or Sovereign, getting the slightly tougher back might be cool.

If you haven't looked at or handled a lot of them, it probably is. But there are a number of people here that you could buy from with confidence either way.
I won't list them. There's More than a handful, and I'm bound to leave someone out which wouldn't be fair.

Well, I like the ones with scenery and sunsets (sunrises?) And have for more than 40 years now. I can't say that's how it will be for you. I have had other interests in that time that have come and gone, a few that I really don't collect or look at much anymore.

If the graded holder is polycarbonate, that blocks UV a bit. I don't really display mine, but if I only had one I'd probably display it. A small plate stand will take a graded card, and if the room is sunny, you can always place a light blocking cloth over the card.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:36 AM
T0dd M@rcum

There are a lot of ways. The safest is to pick a nice HOFer like Young or Speaker and put your funds there. A second way is to pick someone you find interesting and buy them. There was a time you could pick a future HOFer and get them...I got a nice Vic Willis run before he was elected at common price, but that's pretty well played. Dahlen is the best possibility but his prices are already at HOF rate. If you can find a Dineen near "common" price, I think he has a good possibility to eventually make the hall. There are also some just plain interesting players like Phillippe who started five game in one World Series.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:16 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I second the advice of acquiring a Matty, Young or Johnson first. Most likely, they won't be any cheaper than they are now. Waiting could cost you down the line. Buy the best looking example you can find. The great thing about T206's is that they can look fantastic in lower grade. Good luck!

Every thread needs a card, right?

Old 01-05-2022, 03:17 PM
Luke Lyon

I sold this one for $1900 here a month or so ago. I think buying a big name HOFer like this is a good place to start. Not everyone who starts collecting T206s ends up continuing for the long-term. If you decide it's not for you, they are easy to sell and move on to something else.

To answer your question about backs: Backs don't need to matter unless you want them to. Kids in 1910 weren't paying any attention to the backs of the cards. If you stick around for awhile, you may find yourself drawn to them, but that's a bridge you can cross when you come to it.

Another suggestion I have is try to find a collecting niche that gives you the most bang for your buck. I've always thought it was really cool that you could buy a Deacon Phillippe card (who had a borderline HOF career) for the same price as some guy who played 1 season of minor league ball and has a T206 card. Buying star players for common price and reading their SABR bios has always been fun for me. That's something you can do with with pretty much any budget.

But nice looking HOFers seem like a pretty good bet for the long haul, and very liquid if you change your mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnson Portrait P150 SGC 1.5.jpg (73.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-05-2022, 03:50 PM

Consider heavily the centering. And high eye appeal for the grade - Leon has shown some great examples of sub 5's that look awesome. Bigger the name the better. Of course Johnson, Young, Matty & Cobb, but also the next tier Speaker, Lajoie, Collins, Keeler. You're going to pay extra for the portraits, but the non-portraits are very nice as well, saves some coin.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:36 PM
James M

Adding in my $0.02

I think the most important thing you can do, when collecting and starting out on a journey, is thinking about what your goal is, and then thinking about how easy it will be to transition to a new goal if you decide to.

I was out of the hobby for like 20 years. When I got back in a few years ago, I really was kind of aimless. I eventually settled on the 1953 Topps set. I set out on completing a set, all PSA graded, at 5 or higher. I got most of the way through, and then decided I didn't want to keep going, so I had to pivot. When I went into that set, I told myself if I ever lost the desire for it, I wouldn't keep going just to "get to 100%" because we aren't talking about trivial amounts of money.

On the macro level, you should figure out what your goal is. You listed a dream budget of $2500, and you said you liked a few players. I'm not saying this next part as a judgment of any kind, so don't take it that way. But is your goal just to buy a few T206 cards of big names? Is your goal to collect an entire set? Are you interested in a certain team? A certain type of card?

You can buy a WaJo or Cy Young or Ty Cobb for $2500. Once you buy that card, is that the end of the journey? Do you want to eventually collect the 520 card set? Do you only want the Hall of Famers? Are you looking to buy a card now and sell it for more later? All of those questions will impact the path you go down.

Are graded cards better? Well, that depends who you ask. I have close to 150 different T206 front/back combos, and all of them are now raw. I cracked some of them out of slabs. I did this because I want my entire collection in a binder (2 binders, actually). That was a conscious choice I made, with the understanding that if I crack out a PSA 2 and then I want to eventually sell it raw, I will get slightly less for it when selling it.

The big name cards in the set retain their value, and the value will increase. If you bought that WaJo that Luke posted above for $1900, there is a good chance you can sell it for $2200+ in 6-12 months, maybe more. The big names hold their value, and the value will keep increasing.

Before you buy any cards, you should think about what your goal is, and then think about what you might want to pivot to down the road. I started out thinking I would just collect a 520 set, with varying backs of the cards. I then realized I wasn't really interested in doing that, and instead I only wanted to collect portraits, and I wanted to collect all the front/back combos for every player that has a portrait (except Wagner, Plank and the Magee error, for obvious reasons). When I came to this realization, I determined buying graded cards wasn't really going to be an option because of cost, and that I had to make concessions on quality.

I can't speak for everyone, but most people usually deviate from their Plan A and sometimes even their Plan B and C. Good luck figuring out the path you want to take, this board is definitely the right place to ask questions and learn lots of great information.

Tags
johnson, t206, tobacco, young