NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-15-2022, 07:58 AM

Default Willie mays raleys 1967 info

Hi all, just joined. I was told that this was the place to learn and am excited to be here.

Does anyone have any information about this rare mays I picked up. My research tells me that is from a 1967 one day only meet/greet with Willie at a Raleys supermarket in Sacramento. There is one other forsale on eBay and only 2 solds show up on worthpoint. Google was useless, it’s also not in PSA registry. It’s 5x7 and on a photo like card stock.

Any Info would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33EF440A-C654-4BFD-A82E-E0E69FF473A5.jpg (194.7 KB, 231 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:31 AM
Bob F.

We need a bat signal to call Larry. A Larry signal perhaps?
Old 08-15-2022, 09:46 AM

The one that sold on eBay for a Buy-It-Now of $180 seems like a bargain.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
The one that sold on eBay for a Buy-It-Now of $180 seems like a bargain.
I almost bought that one as well, It’s so strange to me that I can’t find any info anywhere!
Old 08-15-2022, 12:40 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Here is one that was autographed that day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown.jpg (192.5 KB, 198 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 12:58 PM
Ken Marks

That picture Fred posted is mine. We are buddies. Anyway that came from 1962. Raleys is in Sacramento California and that Grocery market chain had Willie Mays come out for signings one winter day. At the Raleys we were at he, stayed for a half hour or 45 minutes. They gave you the picture and Mays signed it. Free. Then he was off to another store. My assumption is he hit them all, but I don’t know that for sure. I was 12 at the time.

There couldn’t have been more than 20 people there that day. He answered some questions with most of them being about the 62 World Series Game seven, and if he thought Matty Alou could’ve scored on his double with two outs in the Ninth inning in a game the Giants lost one to nothing. Would’ve tied the game.

Around that time Raleys also had John Brodie come out and do the same thing for them. The picture they gave you that day does not have the Raley’s notation on it.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:16 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Raley's Brodie Photo

Here is Ken's Brodie photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (2).jpg (63.1 KB, 192 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmarks View Post
That picture Fred posted is mine. We are buddies. Anyway that came from 1962. Raleys is in Sacramento California and that Grocery market chain had Willie Mays come out for signings one winter day. At the Raleys we were at he, stayed for a half hour or 45 minutes. They gave you the picture and Mays signed it. Free. Then he was off to another store. My assumption is he hit them all, but I don’t know that for sure. I was 12 at the time.

There couldn’t have been more than 20 people there that day. He answered some questions with most of them being about the 62 World Series Game seven, and if he thought Matty Alou could’ve scored on his double with two outs in the Ninth inning in a game the Giants lost one to nothing. Would’ve tied the game.

Around that time Raleys also had John Brodie come out and do the same thing for them. The picture they gave you that day does not have the Raley’s notation on it.
Thanks for the information, so it is from 1962 and it is quite rare. Willie mays is my main PC, I have a decent collection and have seen some of the crazy rare pieces. This was one that i have never seen, and couldn’t find any documentation on.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:05 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
We need a bat signal to call Larry. A Larry signal perhaps?
If you could flash “Odd Ball Inquiry” that might do it
Old 08-15-2022, 06:11 PM
Ken Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP34 View Post
Thanks for the information, so it is from 1962 and it is quite rare. Willie mays is my main PC, I have a decent collection and have seen some of the crazy rare pieces. This was one that i have never seen, and couldn’t find any documentation on.
I’d be interested in knowing the basis for the original thought of 1967. I guess there could’ve been other Willie Mays promotions with the same picture in different years. But with four boys in my family and everybody being a Willie Mays fan, I’d be surprised if that happened unknown to us. It’s not hard to imagine that they ordered a lot of pictures and all of them didn’t get handed out that day and signed by Mays. So they could’ve been passed out later in the various stores perhaps. And then the surplus filtered into the hobby over the years. Anyway it’s a good item and I’ve only known one other Collector that had one. Of course he was a big-time Willie Mays collector also. (Another reason I believe this is 1962 was because Mays also signed a baseball for me that day. It was a used ball with my name written on it in big red capital letters from my little league days. Still have it too.)
Old 08-15-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I’d be interested in knowing the basis for the original thought of 1967. I guess there could’ve been other Willie Mays promotions with the same picture in different years. But with four boys in my family and everybody being a Willie Mays fan, I’d be surprised if that happened unknown to us. It’s not hard to imagine that they ordered a lot of pictures and all of them didn’t get handed out that day and signed by Mays. So they could’ve been passed out later in the various stores perhaps. And then the surplus filtered into the hobby over the years. Anyway it’s a good item and I’ve only known one other Collector that had one. Of course he was a big-time Willie Mays collector also. (Another reason I believe this is 1962 was because Mays also signed a baseball for me that day. It was a used ball with my name written on it in big red capital letters from my little league days. Still have it too.)
I found that on a description of an old eBay item on worthpoint. Literally cannot find anything anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EE5C3F80-DA4D-4AEB-96FE-BB19A01ED064.jpg (214.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 08-16-2022, 05:58 AM
Wayne V

Default Great !

Quote:

Wow, Ken, that's a great story. I'm glad you were able to keep your photo for all those years. So many things disappear over the long passage of time.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:43 AM
Ken Marks

Default Mays

thanks Wayne. Mays, like a lot of us kids, was my favorite player growing up. So I kept it. I also have this old beat=up little league baseball he signed that day too. Still has my name written in large red block letters that were on the ball when he signed.

I have two brothers who were there with my Dad and myself that day (and the 49ers day too). I asked them their recollection on when the Mays appearance happened and they agreed it was around 1962, They even remembered also what a cold overcast day it was. So not sure where that WorthPoint 1967 citation came from, but it is not accurate (unless there was another promotion then, but that is pretty hard to believe as we would have known about it as Raley's was the grocery store the family shopped at).

Undoubtably, they had to have printed decent number of those photos for this appearance. And likely they were not all used as there was a very limited number of folks that day at the store we went too. So the Raley's probably distributed the unused to customers later in some manner I would imagine (un signed). But no knowledge of that.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:42 PM
Albert Bee

Default rare

John Brodie...no ?
Old 08-16-2022, 05:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm a Waldbaum's and King Kullen kinda guy from Long Island, but we had a Raley's hear nearby that was pretty awesome. It recently closed down. Bummer.

Any chance we can see the baseball signed by Mays (with the added inclusion of your name written in large red block letters).

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:46 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I'm a Waldbaum's and King Kullen kinda guy from Long Island, but we had a Raley's hear nearby that was pretty awesome. It recently closed down. Bummer.

Any chance we can see the baseball signed by Mays (with the added inclusion of your name written in large red block letters).
Darren

Here is Ken's photos of the ball you asked to see. He asked me to post them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (1).jpg (27.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg image (2).jpg (31.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.9 KB, 63 views)

Tags
willie mays