NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2023, 02:45 PM
Brian Keenan

Default Hall of Fame War Veterans

I’ve started a collection of MLB Hall of Famers who are also war veterans. Curious if anyone else has a similar collection going? I always wonder how many people this might interest.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:48 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcollector View Post
I’ve started a collection of MLB Hall of Famers who are also war veterans. Curious if anyone else has a similar collection going? I always wonder how many people this might interest.
Are there requirements around what constitutes a war veteran? Do they need to have actually seen action? What if they were drafted but never deployed? What if they served in a supporting role?

Or are you just casting a wide net to include anyone who served, with their service coinciding with a war, and later was enshrined?

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 03-17-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:55 PM
Don

Best way to track this is the HOF website

https://baseballhall.org/discover-mo...-fame-veterans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2023, 03:05 PM
Fred

The most famous veteran is probably Ted Williams (just my humble opinion). We all wonder what kind of numbers he could have put up if he didn't have to serve our country.

Here's a pic of DiMaggio.

Dimaggio Army pic.jpg

Edited to add - I don't collect HOF Veterans as a category, but it's a pretty neat idea.

Last edited by Fred; 03-17-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:06 PM
Brian Keenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Are there requirements around what constitutes a war veteran? Do they need to have actually seen action? What if they were drafted but never deployed? What if they served in a supporting role?

Or are you just casting a wide net to include anyone who served, with their service coinciding with a war, and later was enshrined?

Right now I am focusing on the ones in red on this list. I believe most of the others who are grayed out are executives. I’m focusing on actual action currently.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof..._the_hof.shtml
Old 03-17-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Right now I am focusing on the ones in red on this list. I believe most of the others who are grayed out are executives. I’m focusing on actual action currently.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof..._the_hof.shtml
Before I would eliminate owners and executives you may want to check some of them out. Maybe the most famous would be Bill Veeck, owner of the St. Louis Browns. He is a member of the Hall of Fame. He served in combat with the Marines in WWII and lost his leg due to being crushed by an artillery cannon. Later he carved holes in his wooden leg to serve as an ashtray for his cigar. Quite the character, as a publicity stunt he was responsible for putting Eddie Gaedel on the Browns. Eddie was 3'7" - the shortest player to ever play major league baseball. Check him out - a "Wild and Crazy" guy!
Old 03-17-2023, 04:22 PM
Brian Keenan

Very cool stories. I’ll check those out . I’m going to add the executives too , just been focusing on the others first but Bill Veeck just jumped up the list.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:40 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
Eddie Grant

Grant was one of the first men to enlist when the United States entered World War I in April 1917, and he served as a captain in the 77th Division. During the fierce battle of the Meuse–Argonne offensive, all of Grant's superior officers were killed or wounded, and he took command of his troops on a four-day search for the "Lost Battalion." During the search, an exploding shell killed Grant on October 5, 1918. He was the first Major League Baseball player killed in action in World War I. He was buried at the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery in Lorraine, France.

Grant was one of eight Major League Baseball players known either to have been killed or died from illness while serving in the armed forces during World War I.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E94 Grant.jpg (199.5 KB, 313 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-17-2023, 05:50 PM
J@mes In.gram

If you're talking combat action, not just entertaining the troops by playing ball (big effing deal), just Google up Bob Feller and Warren Spahn. And he's not in the HOF (totally stupid that he's not) but should be if it is truly going to be a hall of fame, Cecil Travis.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-17-2023, 06:26 PM
Bob C.

Feller should be at the top of your list. My understanding is that he was the first professional athlete to go and voluntarily enlist right after Pearl Harbor. Also, he actually served as a Naval CPO/gun captain aboard the USS Alabama, and took part in many historic WW II naval battles. He didn't just stay off the battlefield or behind the front lines, playing exhibition baseball games to entertain troops. Also, Feller lost virtually four seasons to the war, making it back to appear in only 9 games in 1945 right as the war ended.

Meanwhile, comments about Ted Williams possibly being the most well-known/famous of all MLB veterans, probably due a lot to his having served during both WW II and the Korean War, are most likely true, but maybe a bit misguided. Williams did not run right out and enlist, like many other MLB players did. And my understanding is his military service was due to being drafted, and even then he sought to get out of serving and appealed to have his classification changed from 1-A to 3-A. He ended up joining the Naval Reserve in May, 1942, until finally being called up to active duty in 1943. And because Williams had originally entered the Naval Reserve instead of just going into active service when drafted during WW II, he was still on the Naval Reserve list when the Korean War started, and got called up to active duty again. Word is he was "livid" about being called up a second time, but had to pay the price and serve again due to his actions in trying to defer, if not get out of serving entirely, during WW II.

And by the way, on December 9, 1941, when Feller enlisted, his father was terminally ill at that time so he was actually exempt from military service because of that. But he voluntarily decided to enlist right then anyway. Just a little factual background for those of you that may put Williams way up above others on that hero list for his military service.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:35 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Not a HOFer but gets mentioned a lot in this context . . .

Travis, Cecil 1937 OPC136 PSA 7 25956364.jpg
Old 03-17-2023, 06:51 PM
Brian Keenan

Awesome information, thank you . I missed out on a 52 Topps Feller that was autographed with the inscription WWII Vet - Navy. I’m kicking myself for it . From my understanding he was the only Chief Petty Officer as well. Definitely on the lookout for a Feller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Feller should be at the top of your list. My understanding is that he was the first professional athlete to go and voluntarily enlist right after Pearl Harbor. Also, he actually served as a Naval CPO/gun captain aboard the USS Alabama, and took part in many historic WW II naval battles. He didn't just stay off the battlefield or behind the front lines, playing exhibition baseball games to entertain troops. Also, Feller lost virtually four seasons to the war, making it back to appear in only 9 games in 1945 right as the war ended.

Meanwhile, comments about Ted Williams possibly being the most well-known/famous of all MLB veterans, probably due a lot to his having served during both WW II and the Korean War, are most likely true, but maybe a bit misguided. Williams did not run right out and enlist, like many other MLB players did. And my understanding is his military service was due to being drafted, and even then he sought to get out of serving and appealed to have his classification changed from 1-A to 3-A. He ended up joining the Naval Reserve in May, 1942, until finally being called up to active duty in 1943. And because Williams had originally entered the Naval Reserve instead of just going into active service when drafted during WW II, he was still on the Naval Reserve list when the Korean War started, and got called up to active duty again. Word is he was "livid" about being called up a second time, but had to pay the price and serve again due to his actions in trying to defer, if not get out of serving entirely, during WW II.

And by the way, on December 9, 1941, when Feller enlisted, his father was terminally ill at that time so he was actually exempt from military service because of that. But he voluntarily decided to enlist right then anyway. Just a little factual background for those of you that may put Williams way up above others on that hero list for his military service.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Awesome information, thank you . I missed out on a 52 Topps Feller that was autographed with the inscription WWII Vet - Navy. I’m kicking myself for it . From my understanding he was the only Chief Petty Officer as well. Definitely on the lookout for a Feller.
Don't know about him being the only CPO, but definitely a cool fact if true. And as mentioned by others, Warren Spahn and Cecil Travis both deserve high praise and respect as well.

Regarding more factoids about Williams, I believe he was using the fact he was supporting his mother as the basis for appealing his draft status and deferring his service, and specifically why I mentioned Feller's father was terminally ill, yet he made the exact opposite decision that Williams did. And William's draft board status and actions did not go unnoticed. He had very negative public backlash at the time for his actions, and IIRC, he was dropped by Quaker Oats who had been sponsoring him up till that time as a result. And in retaliation, Williams supposedly never purchased/consumed any Quaker Oats products the rest of his life.

Also, although Williams batted .406 in 1941, he still lost the MVP that year to DiMaggio and his 56 game hitting streak. Williams came back and put up his first Triple Crown season in 1942, but again lost the MVP award, this time to Joe Gordon. There was much speculation, including such by Williams himself, that that year's MVP was stolen from him due to the negative reaction to his draft board antics.

Last edited by BobC; 03-17-2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:42 PM
Brian Keenan

This is great info. I’m very new to this area , can you recommend a source / book where to learn more information such as this?
Old 03-17-2023, 09:16 PM
Frank Wakefield

I applaud Feller's service in the Navy. But Warren Spahn, was a war hero. Not for serving, which seems the modern standard; but instead, for his actions in actual combat, on multiple occasions. I saw Spahn pitch about 20 years after World War II, I was a kid and barely knew anything about his baseball records. I had no idea that he'd been in WW II, that he'd fought in WW II. Years later, after I read a bit of his military record, I thought this man has done enough; he has nothing to prove on the baseball field after a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, after fighting in The Battle of the Bulge and at Ludendorff Bridge (think that movie about the bridge at Remagen).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Spahn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3pVuXHiaD8
Old 03-17-2023, 09:21 PM
Zach

Joe and Dom... I also have an original WWII photo of Feller that he signed (and Feller was a CPO).

Old 03-17-2023, 10:15 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I applaud Feller's service in the Navy. But Warren Spahn, was a war hero. Not for serving, which seems the modern standard; but instead, for his actions in actual combat, on multiple occasions. I saw Spahn pitch about 20 years after World War II, I was a kid and barely knew anything about his baseball records. I had no idea that he'd been in WW II, that he'd fought in WW II. Years later, after I read a bit of his military record, I thought this man has done enough; he has nothing to prove on the baseball field after a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, after fighting in The Battle of the Bulge and at Ludendorff Bridge (think that movie about the bridge at Remagen).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Spahn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3pVuXHiaD8

Do not disagree at all Frank. If you look online for the USS Alabama's WW II activities and involvement, it was involved in both the European and Asian theaters of war. And their involvement was extremely significant and included many major battles. Unfortunately for those naval personnel, like Feller, they don't get the same opportunities for individual heroics and recognition that front line combat troops can often get, but their efforts and heroics are no less important to the overall war effort put forth by all military personnel directly involved in any type of battle or action. I imagine Feller was involved in most all the activity the USS Alabama had during the war.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:28 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Feller is one of my all-time favorites. I visited the USS Alabama in Mobile a few years ago. They have his rack in CPO berthing kept as it was when he was aboard. He came out with the MCI (Verizon now) Ambassadors of Baseball tour in the 1991-92 timeframe while I was serving on USS Independence. Feller, Johnny Vander Meer, Graig Nettles, Bert Campenaris, and Rick Waite. I met, shook hands with, and talked to Bob Feller and Johnny Vander Meer. Two of the nicest guys I ever talked to. I talked to Bob Feller for at least 10 minutes. He gave me an autographed baseball card. Johnny Vander Meer, another hero of mine, gave me an autographed post card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210929_183819.jpg (47.6 KB, 231 views)

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 03-18-2023, 05:36 AM
J@mes In.gram

Here's another one. Larry Berra, better known as Yogi. Everyone knows his funny quotes. 10 WS rings as a player, more than anyone, all-time. But look up what he did as a Gunner's Mate in the Navy on D-Day.

Edit:these are guys you can look up to. Seems like everyone today is carrying some sort of sordid skeleton in the closet. I'm 65 years old. In the Navy and out, I've seen and done it all. I don't look up to anyone anymore, except my dad, who is the finest man I ever knew (and not because he was my dad, he just was). My mom too. I'm telling you, I look up to these guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Larry Berra 1942.jpg (38.7 KB, 232 views)

Completed 1962 Topps

Last edited by jingram058; 03-18-2023 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:07 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Somebody brought up Bill Veeck

"Check him out - a "Wild and Crazy" guy!"

This photo captures Veeck in a particularly good mood as he hands out free drinks at the first game after he became owner of the St. Louis Browns.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1679141197
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951BillVeeckHandsOutDrinksPhotographFront.jpg (163.2 KB, 233 views)
Old 03-18-2023, 09:27 AM

Warren Spahn - the greatest, and winningest, left handed pitcher of all time! How about a twice autographed Scorecard from his 300th win game!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5877.jpg (194.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5879.jpg (211.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6201.jpg (190.5 KB, 218 views)
Old 03-18-2023, 09:58 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Christy Mathewson, Ty Cobb, and Pete Alexander.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:29 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Hank Bauer had quite a war record. Nobody messed with Hank, except at the Copa.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:12 PM

https://baseballhall.org/discover-mo...-fame-veterans

Also Tom Seaver was in the Marines from 1962-1969, but I believe all were spent in the USA.

Long shot Hall of Fame candidate Thurman Munson was also a veteran during the Vietnam war era
Old 03-18-2023, 02:18 PM
Brian Keenan

I was curious about Vietnam. Interesting on Munson.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:15 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

The thing about Ted Williams is that although he was in both WW2 and the Korean war, he only saw action in Korea. He spent WW2 on training missions (nothing wrong with that, just that the war ended). If you want to take the leap to Ford Frick award winners (a section of the Hall of Fame that some collectors, me included, collect as hall of famers) I would include announcer Jerry Coleman. Kind of a goofy, Phil Rizzutto type of announcer, but he was one heck of a war hero...and he actually flew mission in both WW2 and Korea.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 03-18-2023, 06:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Feller is one of my all-time favorites. I visited the USS Alabama in Mobile a few years ago. They have his rack in CPO berthing kept as it was when he was aboard. He came out with the MCI (Verizon now) Ambassadors of Baseball tour in the 1991-92 timeframe while I was serving on USS Independence. Feller, Johnny Vander Meer, Graig Nettles, Bert Campenaris, and Rick Waite. I met, shook hands with, and talked to Bob Feller and Johnny Vander Meer. Two of the nicest guys I ever talked to. I talked to Bob Feller for at least 10 minutes. He gave me an autographed baseball card. Johnny Vander Meer, another hero of mine, gave me an autographed post card.
Yup, they don't make people like that anymore. There is a reason their generation is often called the greatest generation ever.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:53 PM
J@mes In.gram

And to the credit of Joe DiMaggio: he formally requested to be assigned to a combat unit, but was denied by Army brass, as "It would be bad for morale if something happened to him." Joe felt it was bad to be behind the lines, sitting comfortably while so much was going on.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 03-18-2023, 07:30 PM
Jim Reynolds

Check out Chevrons and Diamonds on Facebook.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:39 AM
Chevrons and Diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Check out Chevrons and Diamonds on Facebook.
This is a great thread. While we collect baseball militaria in general, I specifically enjoy discovering artifacts from ball players who were combat veterans, regardless of their Hall of Fame status.

The collection focuses entirely upon artifacts that we then use to shed light on the service of these men (and women) who touched the game of baseball whether they served in frontline units, support roles or in morale-boosting activities. Being a veteran myself, I understand that the soldier, airman, sailor and marine standing in harm's way couldn't possibly do their job without the thousands in the rear ensuring that equipment and supplies are available.

The Hall of Famers who served effectively carry the torch for those who have otherwise been forgotten - meaning that without Feller, Spahn, Enos Slaughter, and DiMaggio, most would have forgotten about Cecil Travis, Eddie Waitkus, Ewell Blackwell, Bill Evans, Don Kolloway, and Clarence Maddern.

Chevrons and Diamonds
Old 08-04-2023, 10:02 AM
J@mes In.gram

2 other guys to look up - Wayne Terwilliger and Morris Martin. I leave it you to look them up. Edit - they aren't in the HOF, but their WW2 service, wow!

Completed 1962 Topps

Last edited by jingram058; 08-04-2023 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:31 AM
Chevrons and Diamonds

Quote:
2 other guys to look up - Wayne Terwilliger and Morris Martin. I leave it you to look them up.
Yessir, very familiar with both. I worked with Anne Keene on her piece about Twig a few years ago. And yes, Morrie's story is truly one that exemplifies personal sacrifice in service.

As an aside, we have a glove from a 5th Army staff sergeant (956 Combat Engineers) who carried it through Operation Torch and into the Italian campaigns. He kept a log of his service on the inside of the wrist strap.

Chevrons and Diamonds
Old 08-04-2023, 10:38 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
2 other guys to look up - Wayne Terwilliger and Morris Martin. I leave it you to look them up. Edit - they aren't in the HOF, but their WW2 service, wow!
Another one, Jocko Thompson, was a paratrooper who received the Silver Star in Holland for capturing a bridge across the Maas River. The Dutch later renamed the bridge in his honor. He served with the 504th PIR in the 82nd Airborne; I haven't been able to find out when he joined the regiment, but he went into the Army in 1941, so it is possible he was with them during their earlier jumps in Sicily and Italy.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:52 AM
Chevrons and Diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Another one, Jocko Thompson, was a paratrooper who received the Silver Star in Holland for capturing a bridge across the Maas River. The Dutch later renamed the bridge in his honor. He served with the 504th PIR in the 82nd Airborne; I haven't been able to find out when he joined the regiment, but he went into the Army in 1941, so it is possible he was with them during their earlier jumps in Sicily and Italy.
Researching WWII Army veterans takes a concerted effort. Have you checked into morning reports, yet? Many organizations are slowly digitizing and OCRing these invaluable documents. One of my colleagues has been diligently pursuing documenting the 29th Division and subordinate units' histories in search of all the ballplayers who landed onto the Blues and Grays squad that was a series away from the GI World Series, having lost to the 71st Div. Red Circlers.

Speaking of airborne units and baseball, we acquired a 1945 jersey from the 502nd PIR, 101st A/B a few months ago.

Chevrons and Diamonds
Old 08-06-2023, 04:18 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Researching WWII Army veterans takes a concerted effort. Have you checked into morning reports, yet? Many organizations are slowly digitizing and OCRing these invaluable documents. One of my colleagues has been diligently pursuing documenting the 29th Division and subordinate units' histories in search of all the ballplayers who landed onto the Blues and Grays squad that was a series away from the GI World Series, having lost to the 71st Div. Red Circlers.

Speaking of airborne units and baseball, we acquired a 1945 jersey from the 502nd PIR, 101st A/B a few months ago.
Thanks for the heads up; I hadn't checked there. The backstory beings that jersey was very interesting; it would be something if they were able to determine who wore it.

Since Morrie Martin and Wayne Terwilliger were mentioned earlier:

Old 08-06-2023, 05:05 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Here are some interesting stats:

How many MLB players fought in ww1?

During the course of the war, 227 major leaguers served the United States through various branches of the Armed Forces. Several Hall of Famers, including Christy Mathewson, Branch Rickey, George Sisler and Ty Cobb, answered the specific call issued by the Chemical Warfare Service.

How many baseball players fought in ww2?

All told, over 500 major league and more than 2,000 minor league baseball players went into the armed forces.

There are so many ways that you can go with this collection. How many players died in the war? How many players were wounded? How many were discharged? How many protested the war? How many fought on the other side? Who served the longest? Who received medals? Who fought in more than 1 war? List just goes on and on.

Looks like you will have plenty of players in your collection. Sounds like a real cool approach to collecting. Good Luck!

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard

Last edited by Buythatcard; 08-06-2023 at 05:11 AM.