NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Originals, Reprints, or Fakes?
Originals 2 5.00%
Fakes 9 22.50%
Reprints 29 72.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Cameron Crafton

Default 1915 Cracker Jack Set, Original, Reprint, or Fake?

So I came across these on Ebay, and was wondering if anybody here knows if they are originals, reprints, or fakes...personally I think they look too clean to be real and look more like a very well done reissue or reprint set, but who knows.
The Pics are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 532564471_o.jpg (69.7 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 532564587_o.jpg (72.7 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 532564520_o.jpg (72.1 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 532564897_o.jpg (76.0 KB, 235 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
David H.

Reprints...

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
T206 NY Highlanders (100%)
1956 Topps Yankees (100%)
T210 Series 3 Orange Borders (9/20 45%)
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

original fake reprints
Old 06-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Frank Wakefield

Reprints.

Buy a reprint set. Buy 3 or 4 real ones, not in slabs, but so you can hold, touch, feel them.

Buy a black light. Illuminate the reprints and the real ones with the uv... illuminate printer paper, envelopes you get in the mail, a T206, several things...

After you've done that, you will be much better able to discern the real Cracker Jack cards from the others.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Reprints.

Buy a reprint set. Buy 3 or 4 real ones, not in slabs, but so you can hold, touch, feel them.

Buy a black light. Illuminate the reprints and the real ones with the uv... illuminate printer paper, envelopes you get in the mail, a T206, several things...

After you've done that, you will be much better able to discern the real Cracker Jack cards from the others.
K I'll do that, thanks for your help.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Cameron Crafton

Is there anyway to tell that these are reprints or fakes just by looking at the pictures above? I mean there obviously is, but what was the giveaway for you guys?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 PM

Absolutely fake. You can tell from the scans by looking at where the WHITE borders run into the uniform. Real CJs did not use a white ink. The color from the unprinted parts of the uniform should run seamlessly with the boarders. I hope I am being clear on this. Basically there should be no interruption in color between the border and the parts of the uniform that are supposed to be white.

This card is not mine but you can compare the difference.

JimB

Last edited by E93; 06-10-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Absolutely fake. You can tell from the scans by looking at where the WHITE borders run into the uniform. Real CJs did not use a white ink. The color from the unprinted parts of the uniform should run seamlessly with the boarders. I hope I am being clear on this. Basically there should be no interruption in color between the border and the parts of the uniform that are supposed to be white.

This card is not mine but you can compare the difference.

JimB
Thanks, for your help. That is one of the problems I have with Ebay, there are so many people out there trying to sell fake cards. Guess the general rule of thumb is that if it is pre-world war 2 and isn't graded then don't buy/bid on it.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Also not mine, but this clearly shows how the uniform to border transition should look.
JimB

Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Frank Wakefield

Nooooo.... the general rule is NOT that if it is pre-world war 2 and isn't graded then don't buy/bid on it.

The thing to do is learn about the types of cards that you're trying to buy so that you're a knowledgeable buyer. The grading companies get 'em wrong sometimes. Don't depend on them. The adage is "don't bet on the other man's trick." Bet on what you can do, not on what someone else can do. YOU can learn to distinguish the real ones from the reprints and fakes.

This is life, not ballcards. Don't by any car, learn about the cars you're considering. Don't buy any stock offered you, do a bit of research. Don't go to just any dentist, don't call any plumber, don't hire any lawyer, don't go see any movie, don't date any girl... consider the matter and figure out what you're doing.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Nooooo.... the general rule is NOT that if it is pre-world war 2 and isn't graded then don't buy/bid on it.

The thing to do is learn about the types of cards that you're trying to buy so that you're a knowledgeable buyer. The grading companies get 'em wrong sometimes. Don't depend on them. The adage is "don't bet on the other man's trick." Bet on what you can do, not on what someone else can do. YOU can learn to distinguish the real ones from the reprints and fakes.

This is life, not ballcards. Don't by any car, learn about the cars you're considering. Don't buy any stock offered you, do a bit of research. Don't go to just any dentist, don't call any plumber, don't hire any lawyer, don't go see any movie, don't date any girl... consider the matter and figure out what you're doing.
Great advice! Thanks for your help and advice, and I will defiently keep that in mind.

Tags
1915, cracker jack, ebay, joe jackson, set