NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2023, 08:26 PM
Cliff B.

Default 1935 Wheaties

Hi everyone,

There is so much expertise on this site so I’d like to get some thoughts on the 1935 Wheaties Series 1 baseball cards. I remember eating my Wheaties as a kid and it must have been so cool to have a card on the box. I’ve done some research and would like to ask what, in general, you all think of these cards? PSA has graded only 19 and SGC only 146. It seems the Dizzy Dean and Mickey Cochran White Cap are rarer but maybe the collectors aren’t all that interested in these cards overall. I don’t know. Anyway, thanks to you all.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:18 PM

I have quite a few of these for sale a d can honestly say, grading them is expensive and the rarity is unknown. It is just tricky due to the size.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:38 PM
Bob C.

They aren't really considered by many in the hobby as true cards, and seem to have been more of an oddball issue that only a relative few collectors showed much interest in going back many years. As of late though, especially with the run-up in prices with many of the more mainstream pre-war card issues, a lot of collectors I feel have started turning to more "unconventional" card issues, like these Wheaties cards, and they have been gaining popularity. The prices are such that collectors that maybe can't otherwise afford items of certain players from the more conventional card sets can now look to issues like these Wheaties cards instead. And it also seems that set collectors are slowly being replaced by more type card and/or specific player/HOF collectors. So, these Wheaties cards help to fill in and cover such collecting niches. And the fact that the major TPGs do grade them is a plus, despite the added expense that can be incurred from grading them due to the need for oversized holders. Especially for Registry people who are looking for a fairly new set, or trying to find another card for a specific player's master set, and so on. Personally think the Wheaties items are great, and include some very colorful and unique designs and images. And when they are in really nice shape and condition, that can look amazing.

They may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I think more and more people are noticing and picking up on them, and their desirability, as time goes by.

Last edited by BobC; 03-09-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:09 AM
Cliff B.

Thank you so much. I find them especially appealing when the full frames are intact. These Wheaties boxes must have been quite beautiful to look at. Imagine looking at your favorite players like this every morning. I think If Wheaties produced these nowadays, they’d fly off the shelves.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:25 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

would love to see some that you own
could you post a few

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-10-2023, 09:04 AM
Jim B.

Here's a few - they seem like bargains in today's collecting landscape!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935_Wheaties_Series1_Gehrig.jpg (196.5 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg 1936_Wheaties_Series3_Gehrig.jpg (183.7 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg 1936_Wheaties_Series4_Gehrig.jpg (193.9 KB, 432 views)
Old 03-10-2023, 02:49 PM

Default They are not cards, never were cards

and are simply cut from cereal boxes. I'm guessing that TPAs do not want anything to do with them unless there is more profit to it. I was born in 1930 and never had access to the 1935 issue, but the later years featuring the players with yellow and orange backgrounds were beautiful on the grocery shelf. My family went shopping on Saturday night, and I would beg my mother to get me the Charlie Gehringer, Tommy Bridges or even Joe Dimaggio, but no and never, she would get Corn Flakes or some other cheaper product. Worse, the radio broadcast of Detroit Tiger games featured heavy advertising with Ty Tyson telling us that "Wheaties, the Breakfast of Champions" could do the same for me constantly reminded me of my bad choice of parents.

In 1939 Wheaties had a special Centennial run of about 8 different boxes. I couldn't even persuade my mother to get these. Since, however, I have collected all of the Gehringer backs. Most desirable (at least for me) is a full back panel. A full box (not Gehringer) recently went on eBay for several hundred dollars, and there are auction records of huge lots.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:36 AM
Cliff B.

Default My first 1935 Wheaties

Here is my 1935 Wheaties. My first one, just bought it the other day. It's a little beaten up but I think that gives it character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6486.jpg (85.6 KB, 379 views)
Old 03-11-2023, 06:58 AM
Wayne V

Default Gehrigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
Those Gehrigs are really nice.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Hank Thomas

To my eyes, all the Wheaties issues are cool, I can't imagine why they wouldn't be sought after, "cards" or not cards. As a very tangential aside, on the broadcast of a Senators/Cleveland game in 1939 with Walter Johnson doing the play-by-play, it is mentioned that he would be at Miller's Market in D.C. that night signing boxes of Wheaties, who sponsored the broadcasts. That's always been one of my holy grails, to come across one of those boxes signed by him, but I've never seen one. Assuming he did that throughout the season, there must be some out there somewhere.
https://thisdayinbaseball.com/full-r...n-todays-game/
Old 03-12-2023, 01:24 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
They aren't really considered by many in the hobby as true cards, and seem to have been more of an oddball issue that only a relative few collectors showed much interest in going back many years. As of late though, especially with the run-up in prices with many of the more mainstream pre-war card issues, a lot of collectors I feel have started turning to more "unconventional" card issues, like these Wheaties cards, and they have been gaining popularity. The prices are such that collectors that maybe can't otherwise afford items of certain players from the more conventional card sets can now look to issues like these Wheaties cards instead. And it also seems that set collectors are slowly being replaced by more type card and/or specific player/HOF collectors. So, these Wheaties cards help to fill in and cover such collecting niches. And the fact that the major TPGs do grade them is a plus, despite the added expense that can be incurred from grading them due to the need for oversized holders. Especially for Registry people who are looking for a fairly new set, or trying to find another card for a specific player's master set, and so on. Personally think the Wheaties items are great, and include some very colorful and unique designs and images. And when they are in really nice shape and condition, that can look amazing.

They may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I think more and more people are noticing and picking up on them, and their desirability, as time goes by.
I have no idea why anyone especially members of this forum would say that Wheaties Backs are not Baseball cards. Every major catalig lists them as Baseball cards. The first trade I made with John Ramirez in 1975 was a 1960 Post Cereal for a Gehringer with most of the box intact. So in OP's view since both the 1960 post and the wheaties were from cereal boxes we were not actually trading baseball cards.
From the begining baseball player images have been issued along with various products to boost sales. I feel the pain of poster Keith Thompson who's Mom would not buy Wheaties. My Mon wouldn't buy Kelloggs and definitely no Pop Tarts despite the cards promised in the Box.
But yes Bob and Kieth Wheaties are Baseball cards. So are Post Cereals, Hunters, Briggs Eskay Meats 1910 Orange Borders and other candy boxes. And every other issue that some fortunate youngster cut out, or off of a box. A box they either convinced their Mom to buy or saved their own pennies to bring home.
They exist today because they were treasured and preserved by the card collectors of the past. And they will be passed along to card collectors in the future becase they are treasured by many card collectors today...but like all things they are not treasured by everyone.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:32 PM
J.B.

Default Series 4 Mini

Consider me hooked, with a little bit of love they present well and they still have previously undocumented specimens floating around like this series 4 mini Hemsley I recently found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Series 4 Hemsley.jpeg (170.8 KB, 328 views)
Old 03-12-2023, 05:59 PM
Jeff P

I'm a big fan of Wheaties cards but focus on the football ones. There are 50 football Wheaties box cuts from the 30s and I completed the 'set' years ago. I think the reason why the Pop seems so small is that a lot of collectors of these don't bother getting them graded. All of mine are raw including several I cracked from their plastic tombs.

Thought members might like to see the Wheaties display I had in my display case for a while. I've added many new ones since this display was built (including some nice complete boxes) but I really like how this display came out.

jeff
Old 03-12-2023, 06:13 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Nice display Jeff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-12-2023, 07:21 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitti8 View Post
Consider me hooked, with a little bit of love they present well and they still have previously undocumented specimens floating around like this series 4 mini Hemsley I recently found.

Great card although the Mini cards are sumilar to series 4 cards they are in fact their own series. I want to say series 16 but I would have to verify. I owned a Gehringer for many years. And in 50 years of collecting ( first card show 1973) I have only seen 5 different cards from this series. There is a thread here on net54 where 3 different cards are shown.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:23 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I have no idea why anyone especially members of this forum would say that Wheaties Backs are not Baseball cards. Every major catalig lists them as Baseball cards. The first trade I made with John Ramirez in 1975 was a 1960 Post Cereal for a Gehringer with most of the box intact. So in OP's view since both the 1960 post and the wheaties were from cereal boxes we were not actually trading baseball cards.
From the begining baseball player images have been issued along with various products to boost sales. I feel the pain of poster Keith Thompson who's Mom would not buy Wheaties. My Mon wouldn't buy Kelloggs and definitely no Pop Tarts despite the cards promised in the Box.
But yes Bob and Kieth Wheaties are Baseball cards. So are Post Cereals, Hunters, Briggs Eskay Meats 1910 Orange Borders and other candy boxes. And every other issue that some fortunate youngster cut out, or off of a box. A box they either convinced their Mom to buy or saved their own pennies to bring home.
They exist today because they were treasured and preserved by the card collectors of the past. And they will be passed along to card collectors in the future becase they are treasured by many card collectors today...but like all things they are not treasured by everyone.
Because these early Wheaties items are just like you stated, they're the backs of the boxes, whereas the Post cereal items were cut from the backs and are basically the same/similar standard size and shape of what are considered "cards" in the more mainstream hobby definition of what a "card" is thought of as by many collectors. I myself enjoy and have collected many early Wheaties items, and don't really care much about what does or doesn't constitute a "card" when it comes to defining such items. Forgive me for merely attempting to respond to the OP's question by pointing out that not everyone considers the entire back of a Wheaties box as a true baseball card, and that will likely include many Net54 members as well. There is no one, single correct definition as to what really constitutes a "true baseball card". It can, and does, vary from person to person. Again, I merely tried to respond to the OP's post, and focused somewhat on his implied question of why these Wheaties items don't seem to garner the same overall interest with collectors that other items do.

You mention how these Wheaties backs are listed in catalogs, but so are things like Sports Stamps, PX7 Double Header coins, German Transfers, M101-2 Sporting News Supplements, and on and on, but I don't think anyone normally considers any of those such items as "cards" at all. If you consider Wheaties carton backs as cards, great. And if you don't consider them as cards, that is great also. I simply consider them valuable collectibles, and leave it to others to get worked up as to what a particular collectible is considered as. To each, their own!

And by the way, where in my original response to the OP did I ever definitively state I personally consider these Wheaties carton backs are not cards? I didn't say they were or weren't cards, yet the very first line of your post seems to insinuate I did since you specifically chose and quoted my earlier post to respond to, and then there's your direct response, naming both myself and another poster (Keith), and asserting to us both that these Wheaties backs are definitely cards. The OP never said these weren't cards either.

Last edited by BobC; 03-12-2023 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:15 PM
Tim Odeen

A few of mine, not all 1935.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 03-12-2023 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:03 AM
Todd Schultz

Those are really nice Tim-- so too that football display and that mini. I only have the '35 Foxx left-- I always liked the 35s and 36s the best, but many of the others are nice too.

I consider them cards. As mentioned, they are really not different than at least a dozen other food/candy/gum issues over the years. Do collectors really quibble that Darby Chocolate, J=K, Orange Borders, All-Star baseball and Baseball Bats Candy are not cards?

Are the 1960 Post Cereals or 1959 Bazookas cards? I guarantee if Wheaties had chosen to put a dashed line around the outer edges of its box with some sort of "cut here" direction then these would be viewed differently, even though it was obvious they were intended to be removed and saved--at least the ones with the ornate frames. So do I have a Wheaties card if I cut this one up?:
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 03-13-2023 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:15 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Those are really nice Tim-- so too that football display and that mini. I only have the '35 Foxx left-- I always liked the 35s and 36s the best, but many of the others are nice too.

I consider them cards. As mentioned, they are really not different than at least a dozen other food/candy/gum issues over the years. Do collectors really quibble that Darby Chocolate, J=K, Orange Borders, All-Star baseball and Baseball Bats Candy are not cards?

Are the 1960 Post Cereals or 1959 Bazookas cards? I guarantee if Wheaties had chosen to put a dashed line around the outer edges of its box with some sort of "cut here" direction then these would be viewed differently, even though it was obvious they were intended to be removed and saved--at least the ones with the ornate frames. So do I have a Wheaties card if I cut this one up?:
That's a beauty!
Old 03-13-2023, 09:36 AM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Great card although the Mini cards are sumilar to series 4 cards they are in fact their own series. I want to say series 16 but I would have to verify. I owned a Gehringer for many years. And in 50 years of collecting ( first card show 1973) I have only seen 5 different cards from this series. There is a thread here on net54 where 3 different cards are shown.
There are two series of mini cards, series 14 and 15, and they are beyond tough. I have read they were only available to commercial outlets (restaurants, railroad dining cars, coffee shops, etc.) but have no idea if that's true.

I do know that I have completed all the other baseball series other than these two but have never owned a 14 or 15.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Perhaps this is the thread showing/discussing these scarce mini Wheaties?

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...light=wheaties

Brian
Old 03-13-2023, 03:16 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Brian yes that is one of the threads I remember. Excuse my laziness for saying series 16 when I should have just looked it up. I have only ever seen the mini series that is similar to series 4.

Bob C.

I think that the popularity or unpopularity of Wheaties can be explained without saying that they are not Baseball cards. Their size, the fact that so many that originally collected them have passed on. The rise and dramatic decline in the Wheaties boxes of the 80's and 90's. These and many other contribute to how popular or unpopular Wheaties boxes from the 30's are. And yet they are treasured by many .You yourself say you treasure some. My point is they should be treasured as the baseball cards they clearly are.
And your point on Post Cereal vs Wheaties innores the example I used, 1960 post cereal cards are full box backs with only one player.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230313_153656.jpg (203.8 KB, 234 views)
Old 03-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Brian yes that is one of the threads I remember. Excuse my laziness for saying series 16 when I should have just looked it up. I have only ever seen the mini series that is similar to series 4.

Bob C.

I think that the popularity or unpopularity of Wheaties can be explained without saying that they are not Baseball cards. Their size, the fact that so many that originally collected them have passed on. The rise and dramatic decline in the Wheaties boxes of the 80's and 90's. These and many other contribute to how popular or unpopular Wheaties boxes from the 30's are. And yet they are treasured by many .You yourself say you treasure some. My point is they should be treasured as the baseball cards they clearly are.
And your point on Post Cereal vs Wheaties innores the example I used, 1960 post cereal cards are full box backs with only one player.
Jonathan,

I am not disagreeing with you, or anyone else at all. I was merely giving a possible explanation to the OP about why these early Wheaties items may not be as valued and collected by some as are other items. I never said that some people not thinking of them as true cards was the only possible explanation, or that these are or aren't cards. Some collectors though are not as into items that aren't more like traditional baseball cards, and that is just a simple fact. -

And I didn't ignore the 1960 reference you made to Post cereal items, but the truth is, those full back 1960 items are not as widely collected as the later Post cereal cards from 1961 through 1963. I referenced those later cards to demonstrate how the size of the card/item being cut from the cereal carton can have an impact on how many in the hobby perceive them as cards, and how much they then want to collect them. Not everyone, but still a pretty large percentage IMO. Also, the 1960 Post items/cards were only on boxes of their Grape Nuts cereal IIRC. I don't know about you, but I was never a Grape Nuts fan as a kid, and suspect a lot more kids would have liked and asked for a whole lot of other Post cereals before asking Mom to specifically buy a box of Grape Nuts. Another reason there probably aren't anywhere near as many of those 1960 items/cards around today as there are of the 1961-62-63 Post Cereal cards. And also, since the 1960 items ONLY came on Grape Nuts boxes, I sort of assumed when you mentioned Post cereal, you were referring to ALL post cereals, not just Grape Nuts, and may have just had a typo in putting down 1960 as the year. Those 1960 Grape Nuts items/cards are great and fantastic items/collectibles as well, but I bet if you ran a poll of everyone on here, you'd find out a lot more people are into and have collections of the 1961-63 Post cereal cards than ever had collections of the 1960 Grape Nuts ones or were that into them.

And another way to look at this, what is the difference between collecting items on the back of Wheaties boxes versus what are on the fronts? A lot of people over more recent years have gone on to collect Wheaties and other cereal's boxes for the front images. But usually, you see those collectors going for the complete boxes, and they don't usually cut the front of the boxes off to collect just those, do they? I never really heard of anyone collecting the fronts of Wheaties boxes refer to them as cards either. You don't suppose that for the many who collect entire, more modern, Wheaties boxes for the front images that they wouldn't think about images on the backs of Wheaties boxes the same way, would you? In other words, they view collecting the backs as part of the overall box as well, just like if they were collecting the front. Or is there some difference I never heard of where if you cut/collect something from the back of a cereal box it is definitely considered a card, but if you do the same thing and cut something off the front of the cereal box, it isn't? That would seem silly to think of that in two different ways.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:06 PM

Default The OP's thread is about 1935 Wheaties

and I would agree that cut out player images on the back could (and perhaps should) be considered "cards" so that they can be catalogued for collector interest. This could also be done for all of the early years. The 1935 "issue" look like they should be cut out with the borders, but later years not so much.

I personally have several hundred Wheaties complete boxes from recent years. Many are commemorative type of sporting events.

Do any members remember an offer that Wheaties advertised? Send in a picture of your own, and they would reproduce it on a Wheaties Box just like they would a player. I did this and have it framed in a special hard plastic clear case made for the purpose. Perfect condition. Maybe I should send it in for grading?
Old 03-15-2023, 06:53 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
and I would agree that cut out player images on the back could (and perhaps should) be considered "cards" so that they can be catalogued for collector interest. This could also be done for all of the early years. The 1935 "issue" look like they should be cut out with the borders, but later years not so much.

I personally have several hundred Wheaties complete boxes from recent years. Many are commemorative type of sporting events.

Do any members remember an offer that Wheaties advertised? Send in a picture of your own, and they would reproduce it on a Wheaties Box just like they would a player. I did this and have it framed in a special hard plastic clear case made for the purpose. Perfect condition. Maybe I should send it in for grading?
Keith
Your second response is a clear turnaround to your first post with the heading " They are not cards never were cards"
As for your suggestion that they "could"be cataloged they are in fact cataloged in The ACC, Sports collectors Bible, Sterling Sports card Guide, Every volume of the Beckett guide and The Sports Collectors Digest guides. In fact I cannt think of any comprehensive guide of Baseball cards that dose not catalog the Wheaties series from 1935 to 1939 and beyond.
I am glad that although you could not convince your Mom to drop a Wheaties box in the shopping cart, you spent your own hard earned dollars buying several Hundred!!! Please share some pictures..
Old 03-15-2023, 07:42 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Sold off most of mine over the years but I still have some. Still under appreciated in my opinion
Old 03-18-2023, 10:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
Great looking Wheaties!!
Old 03-18-2023, 12:25 PM
Jim B.

Thanks Leon!!! That '36 Gehrig Series 4 with full borders is pretty tough.

Last edited by BabyRuth; 03-18-2023 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:43 PM

I have always been drawn to some of the 1937 Series 9 artwork...30 years ahead of its time for far out and grooviness!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheatiesseries9bonura 001 (476x640).jpg (178.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg wheatiesmungo (644x800).jpg (71.9 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 03-18-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:55 PM

Default 1936 Wheaties Gehrig Series 4

For anyone interested, there is a 1936 Wheaties Series 4 Gehrig with full borders graded SGC 1.5 currently for auction on Sterling Sports Auctions lot #165
Old 03-20-2023, 03:43 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default 1937 Series 7

Here's a 1937 Series 7 (I think). Notice how the shoe (and glove) are "in front of" the border and the James Bond style gun bore back-drop.

Cecil H. Travis. Infielder for the Washington Senators in 1933-1941 and 1945-1947. 1,544 hits and 27 home runs over 12 MLB seasons. 3-time All-Star. One of two to get 5 hits in first game. Led American League in hits in 1941 despite DiMaggio's 56-game hit streak and Ted Williams hitting .406. His best season was 1941 as he posted a .410 OBP with 101 RBIs in 663 plate appearances. In Army during 1942-45, wound up a frostbite victim in Battle of Bulge and Bronze Star recipient. Return to MLB after war surgery was not the same.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1679305035
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937WheatiesSeries7TravisRawFront.jpg (150.9 KB, 70 views)

Tags
cochrane, dizzy, wheaties