NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2024, 11:51 AM

4 of the 6 52 Mantle PSA 9's look like this one. And they're all owned by one family. There are many 6's that are nicer. For $175K you can get a nice 6 now when the last PSA 9 (probably the nicest one) sold for over $13M privately. We all see the problem with grading.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcards View Post
I get it and share your frustration but the reality is that it is what it is and at this point short of regrading all of them it would seem to be far more of a disservice to the next one to grade it accurately when nearly all before it haven't been. Slotting them where they belong in the hierarchy seems a much fairer solution as new ones come down the pike.
I think we sometimes have to apply some logic. "SGC lied about A, B, C, D, therefore they must lie about E" is not really logical or reasonable. If a claim is made, that claim should be true, or if it is a claim of opinion, that opinion should be consistent with evidence and reasonable. If I say a card I'm selling or trading is in EX condition, it should be reasonably within the parameters of an EX card. If it is not, I will get lambasted on these boards for my dishonesty, and rightfully so. We all know right off the bat that this is not a 5 EX and there is no argument that it is. SGC is not special because they are a corporate entity. If a claim is untrue or unreasonable to hold as an opinion, it should be abandoned and corrected. Many people will not go along with a lie just because it is convenient for some. If SGC wants to make a brand new "i5 - Investor Excellent" grade and slap that on cards, they can do so. But as long as they blatantly lie, some people will continue to observe this fact and criticize the obvious dishonesty.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:10 PM

I imagine SGC would admit to it around the same time PSA looks us in the eye and says the Mantle is a 9.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcards View Post
I imagine SGC would admit to it around the same time PSA looks us in the eye and says the Mantle is a 9.
There we agree, I have no doubt at all that both firms will continue to lie and pretend up is down if it suits the bottom line. After all, their customers have 0 standards for conduct for them and will go with whatever the companies say no matter how obviously untrue it is because everyone's investment relies on accepting the fictions as truth.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Enough talk about whether the SGC Wagner card is over-graded. The real question is...did John D. keep the best T206 Wagner, or did he give the better one to Burdick?

Brian

Burdick's might be slightly better, although who knows what the back looks like.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:43 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

My first thought was also that those are some worn corners for a 5. BUT, if literally everything else about the card is damn nice I don’t think it’s unreasonable.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:35 PM

Default WaGS TO WITCHES

solid 3.5 and the witch get witcher
Old 02-13-2024, 06:38 AM
Tom Re.bert

If I owned that Wagner, I sure wouldn't complain about the grade--bottom line if the card ever goes to auction, I don't think the investment group bidders will complain either, its graded a 5--end of story==
Old 02-13-2024, 06:47 AM
Marc

This is what happens when common folk submit a similar card.

[IMG][/IMG]

Additionally, when an older SGC graded card is submitted for a reholder, the date of the original grading shows as the date the card was graded. It does not change.

Speaking of SGC or PSA grading scale, in my opinion, the greatest failings come in SGC 1/ PSA 1 grades. Almost any horrible T206 card that is basically intact can get a 1. Cards with large spots of paper loss on front, or the back essentially completely missing are graded a 1. Some are given an Auth grade, but it is not always possible to understand why. Often, cards in worse condition than an "auth" are also seen as 1's. And it can have nothing to do with trimming, just overall condition.

On the other hand, there are many 1's that are decent and intact, which should be given a "fair" 1.5 designation. Poor is poor. Maybe the grading companies should expand the grade to "super poor" or "barely a card" and the new corresponding grade is an SGC 0.5 Use your "fair" designation dammit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by nodgrass; 02-13-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

Wagners have always gotten generous grading. I don't think any of it is on a scale, just that maybe some people get wierd around the "big" cards.

The one I saw up close in an auction in Connecticut was graded properly in that auction. Still sold for 30K even as a weak G. Creases, writing on the back.
over the next year or two it was offered a couple more times, and each time the grade and price changed g-vg it wasn't, but the ad said 60K, next time VG for 90K. It was not even close to VG in any way.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
As I'm sure many haven noticed, SGC's website currently shows a T206 Honus Wagner SGC 5 from the "John D. Wagner Collection."

According to the Certification Number (0077560) it was graded in July 2021.

I am assuming John D. Wagner is not a relative of Honus Wagner, but rather the collector discussed in this net54 thread.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275068

The article in the net54 thread states that John D. Wagner had two T206 Honus Wagners, and gave one to Jefferson Burdick to help fill his collection.
It also states John D. Wagner met Honus in the early 40s and Honus confirmed that he was "opposed to smoking and that he didn't want to influence kids in that direction, so he stopped them from printing that card."

The SGC website states "SGC has graded 17 Honus Wagner T206s, a large portion of the total population considering the card’s well-documented scarcity....
It feels strange to say, but this one is even more impressive than the VG 3. This one received the unbelievable grade of EX 5. It’s the highest graded example of a Wagner that SGC has ever had the pleasure of evaluating and we’d put it up against any other Honus in the entire hobby.

In order to speak a little more to the one-of-a-kind nature of the card, we felt it best to take the words directly from the mouth of SGC’s 23-year veteran and Director of Grading, Scott Hileman. When talking about the card for this article, Scott said,

“I’ve never seen one like it. The card has everything going for it: near 50/50 centering, a crisp image, even corner wear, awesome color, and a clean surface. I almost couldn’t believe what my eyes were seeing. These attributes are rare to even your average common T206, let alone a Wagner.”

As it stands, we don’t believe there are any immediate plans for the card to be sold
."

Anyway, if an SGC 2 can fetch over $7M, then I can't imagine what an SGC 5 would go for.
clearly a 1.5 if sent back to me by those slobs at SGC. Looks like a pinhole.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:24 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
clearly a 1.5 if sent back to me by those slobs at SGC. Looks like a pinhole.
Truth! I enjoy the speculation of prices when its been proven the posters here haven't a GD CLUE!

Can only imagine is wishful thinking their cards will be "worth" more when the speculators sell them.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 02-17-2024 at 01:24 PM.