NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default Are there any player's autographs that you refuse to collect?

I was just curious if there were others out there that had some players that they didn't want to have in their collections? It could be that you hated the player as a kid, or you met them and they were a jerk, etc. For me, I just can't seem to want to collect players that committed suicide. Eric Show, Donnie Moore and Don Wilson autos for some reason just give me the creeps.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I was just curious if there were others out there that had some players that they didn't want to have in their collections? It could be that you hated the player as a kid, or you met them and they were a jerk, etc. For me, I just can't seem to want to collect players that committed suicide. Eric Show, Donnie Moore and Don Wilson autos for some reason just give me the creeps.
Mike,
I'm not sure that Don Wilson actually committed suicide. I don't believe that that was the consensus after he died tragically. Google the details of his early demise. I believe that investigation indicated that his death was accidental.

He died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning while sitting in his car smoking in his garage. It was speculated that he returned home at 1:00 AM the night that he died. Did a night of drinking impair his judgement, leading to his death? I don't know if there is a conclusive answer. His death, as well as his son's, was horrible no matter what...

He was on top of his game and was, by all reports, excited about the upcoming baseball season.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-19-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Steve Zarelli

As a general autograph collector, I have no interest in having the signatures of serial killers, terrorists, etc. Bad karma.

I can't think of too many athletes that fall into this category, but I'd avoid adding OJ to my collection.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

I only refuse to collect people that are only "famous" due to a blunder...

Example:

Buckner
Or
Scott norwood

If the player is only remembered for a blunder, or because they gave up the game winning or historic HR etc etc then I don't see th point.

Why celebrat mediocrity mixed with failure?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Richard Simon

OJ and I won't sell him either.
Had two, tore them up and threw them away.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
OJ and I won't sell him either.
Had two, tore them up and threw them away.
Good job Richard!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
I only refuse to collect people that are only "famous" due to a blunder...

Example:

Buckner
Or
Scott norwood

If the player is only remembered for a blunder, or because they gave up the game winning or historic HR etc etc then I don't see th point.

Why celebrat mediocrity mixed with failure?
I respect your collecting choices, but Buckner was definitely not mediocre. He was a very good player, and I think he's collectible despite his error.

I have auto's of Bonds, AROD, McGwire, and Raffy that I had for years and have painted baseballs of, so I keep those, but since then I have no interest in adding Manny, Braun, or David Ortiz since they blew it.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I respect your collecting choices, but Buckner was definitely not mediocre. He was a very good player, and I think he's collectible despite his error.

I have auto's of Bonds, AROD, McGwire, and Raffy that I had for years and have painted baseballs of, so I keep those, but since then I have no interest in adding Manny, Braun, or David Ortiz since they blew it.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Understood, he was a "good" or at minimum above average player, that said, without the error nobody would care about him, his name would linger in mild 1980s obscurity... That play is the only reason anyone other than maybe some diehard red sox fans would really see him as collection worthy.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.McMurry View Post
I know they get me "juiced up"
In what order?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL