NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Rich

Default 'All-Star Cafe' Wagner in REA Auction

The card once owned by Charlie Sheen, then stolen and recovered...and last sold in 2009 is coming back up for sale. It's among the items in the upcoming REA Auction. Here's a preview.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Jake

Thanks for the article.

Looks like someone is selling their uncut Garter Strip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.9 KB, 726 views)

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!

Last edited by Jlighter; 03-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Looks like they are.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Looks like they are.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I feel for Bruce that must have been hard to let go, what an amazing item!

I wish him the best with the sale. I saw the item in person as I was dropping off some items to REA....it's a really a breathtaking piece.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-25-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Steven Finley

I can't believe he is selling the Garter Strip. Any estimates on a possible hammer price? It is one of a kind isn't it?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Sean Brennan

I wonder if he's going to try to sue the consignor I REALLY hope its Archive

Last edited by milkit1; 03-25-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
I wonder if he's going to try to sue the consignor I REALLY hope its Archive
Like he'll sue his hedge fund manager
Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 PM
pete ullman

Bruces bg strip trumps a wagner with a sortid past.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

What a cool strip....beautiful image, amazing condition and uncut. Crazy.

+1 on this being the star over the Wagner.

Here is Bruce reminiscing about some if his favorite items. Some top shelf stuff.

video

Last edited by atx840; 03-25-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

amazing piece.

Last edited by murcerfan; 03-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

+ 2 on the strip over Wags.

Re video: I'd never seen him before. Different than what I imagined, as compared to many of his forum posts and demeanor.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

That strip can't be graded. I think the owner may have soured many potential buyer's who don't care about TPG into watching it flop just for the enjoyment of it. I understand the incredible rarity, but I don't think it's that cool looking. Guy's in garters changing...no.
GB
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM

Wait a second does he hold up the same Chicago Union Giants postcard that recently sold on eBay? There's a thread about it on the memorabilia side.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
I understand the incredible rarity, but I don't think it's that cool looking. Guy's in garters changing...no.
GB
Not that I could afford them, but that is how I always thought of the Garters also. I love collecting baseball, but not so fond of collecting guys in their underwear.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Not that I could afford them, but that is how I always thought of the Garters also. I love collecting baseball, but not so fond of collecting guys in their underwear.
The is definitely a "to each his own" item. The estimate says it could go for 100k+. If I was buying it to keep, I wouldn't pay $5 for it. Obviously for resale purposes I'd pay a lot more, but it would also be sold in the next upcoming auction. No desire whatsoever to have a cartoon drawing of baseball players in their skivvies, and could you imagine the reaction you would get when you showed this to non-collectors and tell them how much you paid?

I think there is a reason these things are rare. Who in their right mind would save them in the first place, especially back when they had zero resale value?
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
and could you imagine the reaction you would get when you showed this to non-collectors and tell them how much you paid?
Most likely no different than the look I get from any non-collector when I tell them how much I have paid for any of the items in my collection.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The is definitely a "to each his own" item. The estimate says it could go for 100k+. If I was buying it to keep, I wouldn't pay $5 for it. Obviously for resale purposes I'd pay a lot more, but it would also be sold in the next upcoming auction. No desire whatsoever to have a cartoon drawing of baseball players in their skivvies, and could you imagine the reaction you would get when you showed this to non-collectors and tell them how much you paid?

I think there is a reason these things are rare. Who in their right mind would save them in the first place, especially back when they had zero resale value?
I would be one of the to each his own and would love to own it. If I had the money I would be a player and think the Boston Garter strip is one of the neatest things in the hobby. With my resources I will be a bench warmer on it.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Most likely no different than the look I get from any non-collector when I tell them how much I have paid for any of the items in my collection.
I guess if you have been putting underwear stickers on the holders you already have, then it would be the same look...otherwise, these BG's have an added bonus most regular cards don't have. The "you know these guys are in their underwear" look, followed by the awkward silence part of the night
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I would be one of the to each his own and would love to own it. If I had the money I would be a player and think the Boston Garter strip is one of the neatest things in the hobby. With my resources I will be a bench warmer on it.
I'm going to assume there are people out there who are in both groups, they have no desire to own pictures of guys getting dressed in the locker room 99.999% of the time, but since you add the extreme rarity part to it, this is that .001% exception. I don't think there are just two ways to look at it due to that rarity. I can appreciate rarity most times, just not in this case.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Totally cool item -- if only I had money.

What?! Is somebody saying they wouldn't love to be in a pre All Star game locker room surrounded by all those great players? I know I would.

Last edited by Paul S; 03-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
I guess if you have been putting underwear stickers on the holders you already have, then it would be the same look...otherwise, these BG's have an added bonus most regular cards don't have. The "you know these guys are in their underwear" look, followed by the awkward silence part of the night
Trust me the look will be no less awkward than the look any non-collector would give any of us when we show how much we pay for some of these things….under pants or not.

John also I should note that when I show people my collection I’m usual in my underwear anyways…

I have heard Leon also has adopted the extra relaxed look too around show and tell and at card shows.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:

What?! Is somebody saying they wouldn't love to be in a pre All Star game locker room surrounded by all those great players? I know I would.
Exactly and if one of those guys offered to give you a full body oil message because you looked tense…that doesn’t make it weird. It’s just dudes hanging out talking baseball rubbing each other….lighten up relax….were all dudes here.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

John,

Do you stockpile all the oddball images you always show while idly surfing the web, or do you just go find one online right then and there to suit the specific topic.

Last edited by Paul S; 03-27-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Paul, a little from column A and a little from column B.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Paul, a little from column A and a little from column B.
John, I would never wear black socks with those underwear....
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Leon noted.

You know this thread got me thinking the hobby needs more exposure perhaps we should do a vintage card collector “beefcake” calendar you know something for the ladies like those fireman ones.

So who would you name as Mr. January and so on…..
Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:

From personal experience, I cover baseball games for the website I write for and I try to stay out of the locker room as much as possible. Media credentials or not, I'd rather talked to dressed players. If that makes me strange, so be it
Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon noted.

You know this thread got me thinking the hobby needs more exposure perhaps we should do a vintage card collector “beefcake” calendar you know something for the ladies like those fireman ones.

So who would you name as Mr. January and so on…..
Well John, I was August 2012 of the 707 calendar so a 2013 appearance would only seem fitting....don't know about the "beefcake" part of it though...

Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Who’s the Lynyrd Skynyrd roadie with you Leon? (Kidding Levi if you’re reading.)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Default this thread.....

IS GREAT! What a great read after a crumby day at the office

But , as you know the wagner is the card i'd want
Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

is it just me, or does every REA auction have a wagner, a baltimore ruth and a joe jackson in it?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
is it just me, or does every REA auction have a wagner, a baltimore ruth and a joe jackson in it?
It's true. That is why this Garter Strip is the most interesting item.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Does the REA auction catalog typically become available on the website around the same time that the printed catalogs go out, or will the website be up earlier?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Tony N.

Default Rea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrow9 View Post
Does the REA auction catalog typically become available on the website around the same time that the printed catalogs go out, or will the website be up earlier?
Generally from past auctions, the website is up first. If the catalogs are getting shipped out on April 20th, I would say the auction preview will be up a week earlier.

Tony
Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Great, thanks.