NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Default Sim Baseball

I'm posting to gauge interest to see how many, if any at all, would be interested in a sim baseball league at Imagine Sports. For many years I played at a different site, but I'm now committed to Imagine.

My thought is since there are so many vintage card collectors, I can set up a league of 12 owners for either a single season of decade.

My initial thought is to have a single season league with the winner of each season selecting a season they want the league to play.

The cost is $24.99 for a season. We set it so there are three games per day or nine games per day. We can do a salary cap as well, There are several variations we can choose.

Let me know if you're interested and we can see what happens.

This is a fun way to learn and and a way to get to know some players from years past.

Thanks,
Old 01-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Where a lot of folks older than me talk about playing Strat-o-matic for hours, for me in the late 80's it was "Earl Weaver Baseball" which was a surprisingly sophisticated for it's day. You could "play" the game, but the best part was that you could play "GM" and simulate seasons or seasons. Man, we spent many a rainy day back in those days drafting, entering, and playing seasons, and when we got a disk of "all time great" teams ('61 Yanks, '73 Orioles, etc) the fun only continued. Good times.

18 years ago, in 2002, my brother started an "Out of the Park Baseball" sim league, using OOTP 2.0. We named the league for a recently deceased hall of famer, calling it the Ted Williams Memorial League. It was based on 1999 players, and we started with the 2000 season.

Early stars included guys you'd expect like McGwire and Pedro, but also prospects who developed a lot differently than "real life". Rick Ankiel won 300 games. Ruben Mateo hit 500 home runs. Every year, the game would generate players to be taken in the rookie draft, moving us ever further away from the "real world".

Along the way, owners came and went, we upgraded to version 6 of OOTP ("current" version is 19 or 20, so we're still WAY behind), and we had several commissioners. I've been running things for the last few years.

And by "last few years", I mean...yeah...we're still going...18 years later. We're currently in the year 2049. meaning we're simming our 50th season!

That's very cool that they have online leagues you can "subscribe" to. My advice would be to play multiple seasons...single seasons are kind of glorified fantasy leagues, and losing teams lose interest pretty quickly. Having the ability to really BUILD something, though, can really make things interesting.

The TWML keeps me busy from a sim perspective, but if enough people were interested, I might be interested in checking out the 70's.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:00 PM

I’d be interested. I’ve been thinking about doing computer baseball with Dave Koch Sports at Action PC (https://www.dksports.com). What drew me to this was you could play against the computer, so you could play alone.

Let me know

John
morris_14226@yahoo.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2020, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I understand Dave's reasoning regarding the multi year season vs. one year. We can set up a decade league, such as a 1970 to 1979 one or whatever.

There are a few ways to draft players. One way is each team selects players, places them in a draft order based on priority and submits them. Another way, which is fun, is to have a slow draft. The draft takes place online and a timer is used. So based on the number of hours allowed to make a selection, the draft can take several days.

I'm currently in two leagues, one for years 1956 to 1965 and the other is a progressive keeper league, currently in 1940.

If we get this off the ground and continue, the champion can pick the years for the league. Just an idea.

Here is a link to learn about the site:
https://imaginesports.com/bball/reference/popup

We will need a total of 12 players. With me, 11 more are needed.

Let me know.

Tim
Old 01-07-2020, 06:37 AM

Tim,

I’d be interested. Count me in

John

Old 01-07-2020, 09:38 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I"m interested as long as the salary cap is reasonable. Too high and I've found sim to be too erratic.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the responses. As of now the following are either committed or at least interested:

1. Blue Crew
2. Mike D
3. Morris_14226
4. Griffins
5. Tonyo
6. vintagewhitesox
7. polakoff - Considering
8. Mark17
9. Neal

We need 8 more to get started. If you're not sure, at least give it a try. You may find you like it

Well'll start with a decades league; 1970 to 1979. Salary cap to be determined, but like Griffins mentioned, it will be a reasonable one and not too high. I'm open, but for the first season we will have three games per day as opposed to nine. This way everyone can ease into the game.

Thanks,

Last edited by BlueCrew; 03-19-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:45 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrew View Post

I understand Dave's reasoning regarding the multi year season vs. one year. We can set up a decade league, such as a 1970 to 1979 one or whatever.
Hi Tim,

I'm interested.

What are you referring to in the above quote?

Prefer slow draft BTW

Tony

Last edited by tonyo; 01-13-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Hi Tim,

I'm interested.

What are you referring to in the above quote?

Prefer slow draft BTW

Tony
Hey Tony,

Great to know you’re interested in joining. In regard to your question: If we were to select one year for the entire league, then the salary and stats, such as PAs or IP, would be used only for that specific year. If we chose multiple years such as 1970 to 1979, then those in the league could choose any of those years when drafting.

Salaries are given to each player and for each year. For example, a pitcher with a high number of IP with quality stats would have a higher salary than that same player who may have had a down year who would then have a lower salary.

I’m not sure that makes sense (i’m in meeting now and sneaking this post in), but if not, let me know and I will post one that is more clear.

Thanks for your interest.

Tim
Old 03-14-2020, 01:58 PM

Hey Everyone,

Bumping this thread to see if we can get a few more of you interested in playing. Work took over for a bit, but I'm back and hoping we can garner interest.

Let me know if you want in.

Believe me, this is a lot of fun. It would be great if we get enough players to get this going tomorrow or within the next few days.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:50 PM

I’m in.

I’m traveling and won’t be available till Tuesday

John

Old 03-14-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris_14226 View Post
I’m in.

I’m traveling and won’t be available till Tuesday

John

Sounds good. Thanks John.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:02 PM
Josh Adams

Sure I'll give it a try. Got nothing else to do for the next few weeks!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:26 PM

Nice. I'll add you to the list. Thanks...
Old 03-15-2020, 02:34 PM

From what I'm seeing on the site, it includes every player all time? Or is it just players in those seasons in which we play?

I've been in an OOTP sim league online for 15 years, have potential interest in this but don't really know anything about the product.

Also, how do you make roster moves, etc?
Old 03-15-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
From what I'm seeing on the site, it includes every player all time? Or is it just players in those seasons in which we play?

I've been in an OOTP sim league online for 15 years, have potential interest in this but don't really know anything about the product.

Also, how do you make roster moves, etc?
Great questions.

A league can do all players, decades, single season, franchises. It is very flexible. Based on a few comments, I suggest do one of two types of leagues to start us off. Either a decade league such as 1970 to 1979 or a single season. We can decide once we have enough players.

If we choose a auto draft, each owner selects players and can select a player and then rank them on the round they want that player drafted. So if I choose a 1975 Robin Yount and choose to draft him in round 3 and another owner selects to draft him in round 2, then that owner would be awarded Yount.

Or we do a manual draft. Each owner is allowed time to make picks. Once a player is drafted, he is off the table.

I suggest we do a manual draft with a few hour time limit for each selection. This makes it more fun and depending on how long each owner takes to draft, can be done in a week or less.

Trades are allowed, FA pick ups. Each week (I believe this can be adjusted), each team is given additional money for to acquire players.

I also play in a couple of OOTP online leagues, and have been playing for about 10 years.

Hope that all helps.

Tim
Old 03-17-2020, 03:35 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I'd be willing to do it. I played APBA as a kid and fantasy football for about 10 years, but this sounds like it would be somewhat different from both.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I'd be willing to do it. I played APBA as a kid and fantasy football for about 10 years, but this sounds like it would be somewhat different from both.
Sounds good Mark17. I'll add you.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:37 AM

We're getting close. Only need four more.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:01 PM
Ne@l K

I'll play

Details?

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 03-19-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I'll play

Details?
Thanks Neal. You're on the list.

For the first time around, I'm thinking a 70s decade league and will keep it basic to see how it goes. Players included in the league will be from1970 to 1979. That is tentative, but I think a good place to start.

More details soon.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 03-19-2020, 09:49 PM

Only need three more.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:51 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrew View Post
Thanks Neal. You're on the list.

For the first time around, I'm thinking a 70s decade league and will keep it basic to see how it goes. Players included in the league will be from1970 to 1979. That is tentative, but I think a good place to start.

More details soon.

Thanks,

Tim
Since I have time, I'll start looking over the players in that decade. So... can one team own 1976 Brett and another team own 1978 Brett? Or is the idea that if you get a player, you get to pick which of his seasons you want, and nobody else can have that same player?

This should be fun, and it might be the only baseball we get this spring.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:47 PM
Tony Ooten

Is this still in play? if we get 3 more people it's a go?
Old 05-01-2020, 12:40 PM

Hey Everyone,

My apologies for being absent for so long. Work and a few other life's priorities have kept me pretty busy.

I am still up for starting a sim league. I don't think we can get to 12 teams. The good news is the site is now allowing leagues with a lower number of teams. The next lowest from 12 is eight (8), which I think we can do; however, if there's new interest, we can try for 12.

Let's start by getting a new interest list going. I'll start with 8 spots and if we have more interest, we will go to 12.

I would love to get this set up by Sunday, so if you are interested, let's get this thing going.

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2020, 12:42 PM

Default New Interest List for 1970 to 1979 League

1. Blue Crew
2. Morris_14226
4. tonyo

Last edited by BlueCrew; 05-02-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:24 PM

I’m in..

John

Old 05-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Tony Ooten

I'm in, still prefer slow draft
Old 05-02-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I'm in, still prefer slow draft
I agree with the slow draft. There's a few ways to do it, but I would suggest a manual draft.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2020, 10:56 AM

We tried. This appears to be going nowhere, so it's a done deal.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:22 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Tim, you still around? You are on imaginesports?