NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default Question for the experienced collectors

Posted By: Richey

I have seen the price lists at SGC and others, and they are extremely high, yet nobody rarely pays for them unless it is a card that is extremely scarce. My question is this:
Will card grading become something that is mandatory to the point where every card will be graded and prices will go down because the supply will be so great?

I just can't see these elevated prices lasting so long. I compare it to the "dot com" stock market bubble. I think people will get burned in the long run.

Old 07-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

it wouldn't break my heart!

Old 07-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

All you have to do is look at the coin colelcting hobby to see where we are headed. You will eventually see all 'rare' and high demand cards slabbed, mainly for resale purposes. I don't really forsee any change in prices things sell for in regards to high demand, high grade examples will command astronomical prices and 'ordinary' cards and lower grade examples of tough cards will be in a more affordable range. Granding will not boost the value of a mid to low level grade cards beyond confidence it gives people that the card is legit.

Jay

Old 07-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richey

But, the hobby is all about supply and demand. I see the future where nobody will buy an expensive old card unless it is graded. This takes all of the fun out of it if you ask me...along with a chance to get a bargain. A Mantle that is graded a 5 and a Mantle that is not graded but would grade an 8 would bring two different results. I believe the 5 card would win in an auction...even if the Mantle is determined to be 100% authentic. I guess it is that feeling of confidence that makes the prices go up so much.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

As I said, you have to do is look at the coin collecting hobby to see where we are headed. The days of innocence are over, sad to say.

Jay

Old 07-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

My sense is that the highly experienced, talented and authentic collectors, buying what they what they think is quality material to fit in their personal collections, are aware of the current trends and fashions but are not bound by them. In my collecting, quality is quality is quality (and that's my personal definition of quality, not neccesarily anyone elses), no matter what the latest article or hobby trend is. In my opinion, I don't think one can be an advanced and high quality collector if one follows, or worries too much, about every present or future hobby conceit.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:16 AM
Administrator

I recently saw an old Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes, and in it was an elderly music box collecter. A woman offered an extremely large amount of money for one of his music boxes, but he wouldn't sell it. He explained to her that he was a collector, and that meant that he could never sell it no matter what the price. When he bought a music box he kept it forever. To me, that's the ultimate form of collecting, and the buyer no doubt took great care in which music boxes would be with him for the rest of his life.. Worrying about what the SMR will be in three monthes or how PSA's grading standards will stand up in two years, that's something different.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

that for some bizarre reason, you can get caramel cards graded as PSA 2 and they will sell for more than raw ones which are VGEX. Happens all the time. Collectors are paying for the "emperor's clothes" the feeling that a slabbed card is unaltered, something we all know is bull shippy. Some are, some aren't.

Old 07-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Many 'collectors' guage the market, try to predict future SMR prices and population reports, try to predict what what will be their profit on their recent buy when they resell it on eBay in year or five years. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that's known as investing not collecting.

If the initial post was addressed to "experienced investors" instead of "experienced collectors", my answer may been have been different.

To me, investing and dealing deals with the price, while collecting deals with the priceless. I have a number of items in my personal collection that are priceless to me, and that wouldn't sell for $10 if I put them up on eBay.

Old 07-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

you need money to pay for 10 million other cards!