NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2020, 06:37 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Richmond, VA distribution center had a COVID outbreak about a couple weeks ago and post offices were instructed to not send any mail there. My local post office had pallets of mail sit in a truck during this time, waiting for permission to send. I would assume there are/were similar instances throughout the country.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:51 AM
James M.

I have a couple of Christmas gifts stuck in "In Transit" Hell. One was due to arrive the 19th the other the 22nd. I really hope that things turn around after the holidays. We need to optimize the Postal Service going forward, and hire more people.

It's frustrating, but it's out of our hands, unfortunately.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Scott S

Anyone else dealing with issues with the USPS Priority Express service?

I had a Priority Express package mailed to me from PA coming to MA on Monday, guaranteed to be here by Tuesday afternoon. It's now Wednesday morning, and the last scan was Monday afternoon for arrival at a PA distribution center.

I thought this service was more of a sure thing, because of the money-back guarantee of an on-time 1-2 day delivery (in my case, it was a 1 day guarantee). But even this seems like an issue right now. Ugh.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:59 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post

I had a Priority Express package mailed to me from PA coming to MA on Monday, guaranteed to be here by Tuesday afternoon. It's now Wednesday morning, and the last scan was Monday afternoon for arrival at a PA distribution center.

I thought this service was more of a sure thing, because of the money-back guarantee of an on-time 1-2 day delivery (in my case, it was a 1 day guarantee). But even this seems like an issue right now. Ugh.
I'm convinced that the delivery times do not matter at this point, the USPS is so bogged down, they can't accurately determine when things are going to arrive nor can they honor those guarantees.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:14 AM

My 40 ebay packages that I dropped off on 12/12 near my home in Columbia, Maryland were just posted today from....Opa Locka, Florida - 1,073 miles away!
Old 12-23-2020, 08:44 AM

I've got a card that was sent Dec. 12th and due to be delivered on the 16th. The last status update: Dec 16 12:00AM In transit, arriving late.

Didn't even say where it is.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:26 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:

Yes. I paid $16+ to ship two packages Priority early last week - and now they are both officially "late" and floating somewhere in the ether. As many others will say it "is what it is" but yes super frustrating.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Ray Bumgardner

Just received a package today (in Illinois) that was shipped from Minnesota on Monday! Meanwhile, still waiting on a package from Louisiana sent November 19th. Last known location: Seattle. Fun times.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Yes. I paid $16+ to ship two packages Priority early last week - and now they are both officially "late" and floating somewhere in the ether. As many others will say it "is what it is" but yes super frustrating.
Indeed frustrating. Priority Express is guaranteed Overnight to most parts of the country (2 days to some parts). Once the package shows up, maybe I'll explore the $26 back on the shipping charge for not hitting the guarantee. But getting the package in hand is the top priority....
Old 12-23-2020, 01:54 PM
John €ffenheim

My REA catalog was delivered on 12/8, auction closed 12/6

Last edited by effe; 12-23-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:51 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:

Fairly normal.

Depends on when it was dropped off Monday. I dropped one at 445pm in MD that made it to Seattle by noon Wednesday.

I’ve had many issues with standard first class and priority but not with express.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

I sell items on Ebay every week and haven’t had any issues with USPS priority mail. Some buyers complain and always want cheaper shipping but I’ve had great luck for many years and all this year with two day priority. Maybe one or two show up a day later but so far so good. I also like the 50.00 insurance included.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:38 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
I sell items on Ebay every week and haven’t had any issues with USPS priority mail. Some buyers complain and always want cheaper shipping but I’ve had great luck for many years and all this year with two day priority. Maybe one or two show up a day later but so far so good. I also like the 50.00 insurance included.
You should consider yourself very lucky then. I have shipped several things priority in the last few weeks. A couple have made it only a day or two late, but others have taken 7-9 days just to make it from my local post office to the next distribution center in NJ (so in the same state they were shipped from) before sitting there for a while. One package took 13 days to get delivered from NJ to OH. For me, paying for priority hasn't been worth it since it hasn't seemed to help compared to just first class with tracking.

From what I have read online, the USPS is overwhelmed with packages as well as with large numbers of employees out sick so they just can't keep up with the volume. I'm hoping things will improve post holidays as less new packages are being added to the system.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:11 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Usps

I have an order from Games and Cards that was supposed to be delivered on the 15th. It hasn't moved from Bell Gardens CA. I have dealt with the seller before and consider them excellent in service and taking care of any problems. Due to the troubles the post office is having I am going to wait and if in a month it doesn't show up, then I may do something.

I have the utmost respect for my postal carrier and the local offices. It galls me that the government has let this institution be unprepared for what has happened to them. Their lack of consideration and planning "AT THE TOP" has caused them to be overwhelmed and made them look incompetent.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
Richmond, VA distribution center had a COVID outbreak about a couple weeks ago and post offices were instructed to not send any mail there. My local post office had pallets of mail sit in a truck during this time, waiting for permission to send. I would assume there are/were similar instances throughout the country.
That's interesting because I also live in rva and until last week was having 0 problems getting packages on time. I've noticed no slow downs getting mail once it gets to rva, just slow downs coming from other places.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:46 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I've gone to 2 different Post Offices at various times the past week and the line is always out the door or near out the door. There is usually just one maybe 2 workers. I've never seen it like that before.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:21 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Hey Jim. I live in Greeneville, Tn. Shipped a package 9 days ago. Tracking says it's still in Knoxville, 1.5 hours away. Makes no sense. Frank
Old 12-23-2020, 02:09 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Hey Jim. I live in Greeneville, Tn. Shipped a package 9 days ago. Tracking says it's still in Knoxville, 1.5 hours away. Makes no sense. Frank
Frank - agree especially since I just got an auction item from Clean Sweep that was mailed on Dec 18 from NY. There just is no rhyme or reason.

Jim
Old 12-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Garth Guibord

Does frustrated with USPS signature confirmation also count? Fortunately, this story ends well:
Reached out to a member here about a card for sale, and he was very willing to work on a deal. Done in no time, card shipped promptly and with signature confirmation. I followed the tracking and saw it was schedule to arrive (on time) Tuesday evening. But when the carrier arrived at my house, no delivery. A single magazine and he's off, I couldn't even catch him.
I was perplexed and more than a little annoyed. Shortly after, I check the status and it reads "Delivered" and signed by a "S Wanson." And just as I was about to really get upset, I hear another noise out on the porch. There, along with another magazine, was the package. Card here safe and sound.
I know of no "S Wanson" in the neighborhood, so I'm wondering if the carrier signed for it himself after forgetting to deliver it. If so, that's pretty awful (although I know from other threads that this happens). If not, still pretty awful.
Shout out to sox1902wschamp for being a great seller - and the best packaging I think I've seen.
And in keeping with Leon's tradition that every thread needs a card, here's the new addition to my collection:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 Play Ball Williams.jpg (72.6 KB, 606 views)
Old 01-06-2021, 08:26 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Does frustrated with USPS signature confirmation also count? Fortunately, this story ends well:
Reached out to a member here about a card for sale, and he was very willing to work on a deal. Done in no time, card shipped promptly and with signature confirmation. I followed the tracking and saw it was schedule to arrive (on time) Tuesday evening. But when the carrier arrived at my house, no delivery. A single magazine and he's off, I couldn't even catch him.
I was perplexed and more than a little annoyed. Shortly after, I check the status and it reads "Delivered" and signed by a "S Wanson." And just as I was about to really get upset, I hear another noise out on the porch. There, along with another magazine, was the package. Card here safe and sound.
I know of no "S Wanson" in the neighborhood, so I'm wondering if the carrier signed for it himself after forgetting to deliver it. If so, that's pretty awful (although I know from other threads that this happens). If not, still pretty awful.
Shout out to sox1902wschamp for being a great seller - and the best packaging I think I've seen.
And in keeping with Leon's tradition that every thread needs a card, here's the new addition to my collection:
Similar story here. I made a purchase from a board member and it was sent Certified with signature confirmation. It arrived quickly, no complaints there, but I got an email from USPS telling me that it had been "Delivered, Left with Individual" a few minutes ago. Since I was right by the front door and heard nothing, I was quite concerned. I was lucky enough to catch the postal carrier outside before he left my street. He told me that his supervisor authorized him to sign for it himself and leave it in the mailbox (which is locked) due to COVID. Signature confirmation was pretty worthless in this case. I do wonder what he would have done if I didn't have a locked mailbox.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

It's all just a reflection of our greater society, there are thousands of USPS employees who take pride in their jobs and care about customer service, there's also thousands of USPS employees who don't give a shit about you, they just want to collect a paycheck and get those benefits, looking at you Chicago. You can blame bureaucracy, management, and lazy entitled shitheads for the problems with the USPS. The postal workers who care are tired of covering for the postal workers who don't.

That being said, y'all can take as long as you want to get me a baseball card. That sits firmly in first world problems for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Doug

All this on top of the regular mail the PO has to process.