NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-02-2021, 12:19 PM

Default Ebay Make Offer Protocol - Help

Trying to figure something out. I noticed that "Make Offer" option has been added to auction listings. I'm asking you guys what exactly is the protocol for this. Is it expected that I offer less than the starting amount (assuming no bids yet of course)? ...or is it there to make my best offer above the starting bid, which would seem strange to me, as any bid I make on the auction would have the same effect, wouldn't it? Some input would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:28 PM
Ben North

I just make an offer of what I would actually pay no matter the starting price.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Keep in mind you only get 3 offers before they lock you out of that particular item. Discovered this the hard way the other day when I was climbing the ladder on an overpriced item.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-02-2021, 12:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Keep in mind you only get 3 offers before they lock you out of that particular item. Discovered this the hard way the other day when I was climbing the ladder on an overpriced item.
That has been very weird for me. Sometimes I get 3 and sometimes it gives me 4 attempts. Also sometimes when the item is listed over and over because it is way overpriced. It will let me make offers every time it is relisted and sometimes it won't let me make more offers when relisted.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:55 PM

Is it considered bad form to "make offer" lower than the starting price on an auction? Saw a few things that I wasn't interested in at the starting price but I had an amount I would spend in mind. Not looking to steal anything but I don't want to violate protocol or insult anyone.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
Is it considered bad form to "make offer" lower than the starting price on an auction? Saw a few things that I wasn't interested in at the starting price but I had an amount I would spend in mind. Not looking to steal anything but I don't want to violate protocol or insult anyone.
Not at all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-02-2021, 01:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

While possible, most sellers would hate you for doing it and many of them would block you from bidding on any other item they sell.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
Most sellers, and the way its been for eons, is they normally ask more than what they are willing to take.
If you like something but think it is way over priced, bid your max amount and see what happens?
I've seen a lot of sellers not want to come down $5 bucks, which makes no sense to me, but I just move on.

It sounds like you're worried about offending the seller? If for some odd reason the seller gets offended, ask yourself, is that really someone you want to deal with anyways?

If its a "must have" and you think the price is fair doing comps then bid the ask if you're afraid of losing it.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:09 PM
Dave

I assume most "Best Offers" on auctions are looking for a price above the starting bid, that would force them to consider ending the auction early.

Sort of the opposite of a BIN, with a "Best Offer".

Would somebody consider it bad form? I don't know. I think it's kind of bad form to put "Best Offer", on an auction item to begin with..........but my etiquette, and somebody's else's etiquette, are often two very different things.

Just assume, no matter what you do.............somebody, somewhere is going to consider it "bad form".

That's not political correctness either, in case somebody wants to jump on that bandwagon.........that's just human nature.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 07-02-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:48 PM
Chris

I offer what I want to pay and a seller can reject it or not. I’ve seen some come down 50% and others only budge a couple of dollars. If I run out of offers, I sent the seller an email to inquiry about what they are seeking. If I can pay that, I ask them to send me an offer. If I can’t I thank them for their time.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:09 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Mostly alligned with this response

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I assume most "Best Offers" on auctions are looking for a price above the starting bid, that would force them to consider ending the auction early.

Sort of the opposite of a BIN, with a "Best Offer".

Would somebody consider it bad form? I don't know. I think it's kind of bad form to put "Best Offer", on an auction item to begin with..........but my etiquette, and somebody's else's etiquette, are often two very different things.

Just assume, no matter what you do.............somebody, somewhere is going to consider it "bad form".

That's not political correctness either, in case somebody wants to jump on that bandwagon.........that's just human nature.

If it is a "buy it now" listing with a best offer option - I would expect offers lower than the BIN.

If it is an auction listing with a best offer option - as stated in the quoted response - the seller may be looking for a "make me an offer that I can't refuse to end the auction early and take your offer" which by definition would be higher than the then highest bid. It gives a buyer an opportunity to not have to compete with others for the item which may lead to he/she paying more than a good offer that ends the auction early.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

I listed a couple of things that way at one point, naturally expecting to get offers above my opening, if any. Wrong. Got some unbelievable low ball offers. Gave up and stopped listing that way.

Not sure what's worse, people who list common cards at many multiples of what they are worth or people who offer pennies on the dollar.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-02-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:16 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
This.

I've done this several times now...all have been well above the Starting price...just offered what my fair goal for what I wanted to pay and I am batting 100%, and some started counters that ended up well.

One example is the 1963 Sandy Koufax in strong EX+ raw. I was struggling to find the right card. I kept getting just sniped on the auctions last second, all ending around $85 to 90, and I kept being the underbidder. So my goal was $85, and all the BINs that fit my goal card were well over that, so I was being patient as all auctions were so consistent...that I kept losing. Lol. So a really nice example opened at $55 auction starting point, and had OBO. I went right to $80 on my offer, he countered with $85...bam, goal met. I was stoked. Card was listed for maybe 20 minutes...

Know what your card is selling for, be fair, and move on to another card if it doesn't work out.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 07-02-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What is bad form is when the seller has an auto-reject on the listing, the bidder makes an offer substantially below the opening price, the offer is rejected, and the bidder then sends some lame-ass "what's the best you can do" email.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-03-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
What is bad form is when the seller has an auto-reject on the listing, the bidder makes an offer substantially below the opening price, the offer is rejected, and the bidder then sends some lame-ass "what's the best you can do" email.
I've never done that but it's hard to see how it's any different from dealing with someone at a show who wanders by, looks something over, and asks "what's the best you can do on this?" which is overheard all the time---they have the same direct access. It could leave the impression that ebay is just a way to avoid dealing with people entirely.

But if sellers want to be in the biz, don't they need a thick enough skin for that sort of thing, and ought they ideally to have a bubbly enough personality to engage in the $$$ discussion---they are trying to coax other people to part with theirs after all.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:08 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

My response to "what's the best you can do?" is to block you.

Bidding against yourself is never a good idea.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:18 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
I've never done that but it's hard to see how it's any different from dealing with someone at a show who wanders by, looks something over, and asks "what's the best you can do on this?" which is overheard all the time---they have the same direct access. It could leave the impression that ebay is just a way to avoid dealing with people entirely.

But if sellers want to be in the biz, don't they need a thick enough skin for that sort of thing, and ought they ideally to have a bubbly enough personality to engage in the $$$ discussion---they are trying to coax other people to part with theirs after all.

When I'm set up at a show and somebody asks me "What's the best you can do on this?", I like to respond, "What's the most amount of money you will give me?".

Sounds rude in text, but it's actually a pretty good ice breaker, if you can say it with a smile on your face.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I made an offer below the starting bid on an item recently. It was accepted.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:53 PM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
When I'm set up at a show and somebody asks me "What's the best you can do on this?", I like to respond, "What's the most amount of money you will give me?".

Sounds rude in text, but it's actually a pretty good ice breaker, if you can say it with a smile on your face.

Smart businessman.

Blocking buyers for low offers is foolish IMHO. Been buying/selling almost 40yrs now. Never been insulted by lowball offers. It's nothing more than a starting point. Politely countered or refused is good business. On many occasion the lowballer returns and pays full price. If no deal is made, at a minimum, the potential buyer understands the seller is an adult that understands proper business etiquette.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:

yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking---personality
Old 07-03-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
My response to "what's the best you can do?" is to block you.

Bidding against yourself is never a good idea.
I think this may miss the point ---because it's not really "bidding" at all in this case, is it?

If a seller doesn't have the stones to put an item up for actual bidding in an open auction format and just let it go for what the market decides, then it is hard to see how they can reasonably complain about having to spend effort rejecting offers, responding to emails, and blocking bidders they deem a nuisance.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:44 AM
Chris

Deleted.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 07-04-2021 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Shouldn’t post when you are frustrated by someone insulting you.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
This.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.