NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I"m not doubting the ability or possibility to move your hand, I'm doubting that the body language of the player in the T202 photo suggests the outcome shown in the newspaper photo. I know your reputation for photo identification and I don't mean to question or challenge your ability or put down the opinions of others. I just want to make that clear. All I'm trying to do is put my opinions out there and talk about what I see.
Since you adamant hat this is not the same play, it's time for you to show evidence that it is not. The photographic evidence points more to the same play than less. If your evidence is mainly the hand position, then it shoots holes in your opinion. Move your hand from your waist to your face. It takes a split second. Plus the angle of the photos means the hand movement is less than a waist to face distance. Please show us the evidence, photographically, can't be the same play.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
All of the body parts that change position on both Lord and Joe move proportionally from one photo to the next. All of the body parts that remain relatively stationary are in the same position in both photos. Importantly there is not an indicator that I believe you can point to from one photo to the next that is far enough out of context to discredit the stance that both photos were taken of the same play.
Exactly. The only person who would say that it couldn't be the same sequence is just a person who is in denial at this point.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM
David McDonald

Bump.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Bump.
Thanks David. I was cleaning the garage and almost missed it.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Here's my personal photographic evidence. Dismiss it if you want, maybe we could talk about, maybe some people agree. From what I see in the newspaper photo, it appears as though Joe was tagged out on his left knee/leg by Lord's right hand, which was holding the baseball. Joe's right foot is off the ground and still has not touched the bag and his left leg is most likely tucked under his right leg, making the out most likely occurring with a tag to the left knee. It doesn't appear that Lord would have tagged Joe's right leg for the out, since he is, at least to me, clearly reaching for the out with his bare right hand. Yes? No? I think yes.

In the T202 photo, it really isn't clear if Lord has the ball in his hand or his glove. What I think is clear, is that the runner's right leg is very close to the bag already and his left knee is very far away. For you to tag that runner out, it seems as though you would absolutely have to tag him on his right leg, which would contradict the out made in the newspaper photo, if we can agree that Lord is most likely holding the ball in his bare hand and reaching to tag with it in the newspaper photo. Thinking about natural progression, it seems unlikely that the runner in the T202 photo's left leg would get close enough for Lord to tag it out before his right leg hit the bag.

The newspaper says Jackson was tagged out before reaching the bag, not because he may have slid in safe and his foot came off the bag. So in the newspaper photo, Joe is being tagged. Does it like his left leg or his right leg is being tagged? To me it is the left, because Lord's right arm is making a shadow on Joe's right leg, and you can see it is not being touched. But when looking at the T202 photo, it doesn't seem like the runner's left leg could be tagged out before his right leg hit the bag, or that the natural tag for that particular play would be on the left leg, which to me suggests that the runner in the T202 was not tagged out on his left leg like Jackson was in the newspaper photo.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default From the 60s song by Vicki Carr

Let it please be him
Oh dear God
It must be him
It must be him
Or I shall die
Or I shall die

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:15 PM

Default I got to agree with packs.

I have this card and I have been hoping that it could be proven definitively that it is Shoeless Joe. Unfortunately, while discussing the issue with some friends, I am not sure it can be proven beyond a doubt that it is Shoeless Joe. I hope it is him, but if had to bet I would say it isn't.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Jeff

..all in good fun chaps.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 07-13-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Tim

Packs - All of the questions you raise can be accounted for with the difference in angles of the two photos. At this point IMO you're grasping at very subtle differences to discredit the claim that the two photos are of the same event. If you don't want to believe the two pictures were taken of the same event that's OK, but you haven't given any definitive evidence that they are two different plays.

Given the very few opportunities for this play to have occurred between these two teams during the 1911 season, the likelihood that there would be two different plays so similar in every way is astronomical IMO.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbaker View Post

..all in good fun chaps.

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
Old 08-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Banned

Anything new on this front?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Anything new on this front?

Only that Jax passed away half a century ago. Condolences to friends and family.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Has anyone been tracking prices on this card? Has it been selling for more since the discovery?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Has anyone been tracking prices on this card? Has it been selling for more since the discovery?

Thanks.
A PSA 6 just sold this afternoon on ebay for $266.

Steve
Old 12-29-2011, 06:20 AM

Hey everybody, I haven't been here for a little while but I just saw a PSA 5 of this card listed on ebay for a cool "buy it now" of $1,900. Pretty funny to think about what we discovered/created here a couple years ago. Anyway... I wish you all a happy, healthy New Year and I'll let you know if I come up with anymore amazing discoveries.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Hey everybody, I haven't been here for a little while but I just saw a PSA 5 of this card listed on ebay for a cool "buy it now" of $1,900. Pretty funny to think about what we discovered/created here a couple years ago. Anyway... I wish you all a happy, healthy New Year and I'll let you know if I come up with anymore amazing discoveries.
Yeah and the seller just bought the exact card (based on the PSA number) off of ebay on the 18th and is now trying to sell it for 3x as much to the same customer base a week after winning it.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 PM

With the scarcity of Shoeless Joe cards I personally believe it should be a $1,000 card in EX condition.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
With the scarcity of Shoeless Joe cards I personally believe it should be a $1,000 card in EX condition.
I think that's WAY high. The absolute ceiling for this card in my mind is his WG4, WG5 and WG6 cards that depict only him and actually have his name on them - a much more mainstream collectible for someone wanting a Joe Jackson card. Consider, not only is he not mentioned on the T202, he's not even the first or second object of focus of the card.

Last edited by Matt; 12-29-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in this massive thread, but are there any T-cards of Joe, other than the Fatima team card?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'm sure this is discussed somewhere in this massive thread, but are there any T-cards of Joe, other than the Fatima team card?

Off the top of my head there is at least the T5 Pinkerton of Jackson. There might be more too..
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Jeff

Quote:
There's the T210, correct? And a T5 as Leon mentioned.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I think that's WAY high. The absolute ceiling for this card in my mind is his WG4, WG5 and WG6 cards that depict only him and actually have his name on them - a much more mainstream collectible for someone wanting a Joe Jackson card. Consider, not only is he not mentioned on the T202, he's not even the first or second object of focus of the card.
I have to agree with Matt here.
This is not and was never intended to be a "Joe Jackson" card.
The T200 would be more of a Joe Jax card to me than this one. They are similar in that they have multiple players but it at least has his name on it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 PM

Default I Know I'm Going To Get Slaughtered Here!!!

First off let me start by saying that I am Heavydooty on EBAY! Now I know I'm gonna get murdered here but also I am not above taking advice from advanced collectors and if I get scorned, so be it! My thinking was that I thought the card would be worth about 1000.00. But if I would have asked 1000.00 I would have been offered maybe 600-700. The reason for the quick flip is because I found another card I want more and need to sell this one but I'm going to forget that now and just pull it and keep it. However, it is interesting that Shoeless Joe is on a T card and is the center panel. If his name appeared on the flip I think the card would definitely sell for alot more IMO. And I do think the card is undervalued considering JJJ appears on it. Not having his name mentioned on the card just keeps up with the whole mystique of Shoeless Joe. Now I just joined Net54 and I want to be a good member and will definitely take the ripping I'm about to receive. By the way, I find this forum really awesome!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
There's the T210, correct? And a T5 as Leon mentioned.
Yes, how could I forget I did try to do research on the web before posting, thinking there must be a site where you can click a player's name and get a list of his cards. I thought I remembered seeing such a place many moons ago.

I think the tri-fold in question is worthy of $1,000 - if I wanted a Jackson t-card, this would be close enough. Since it's getting obvious that I could re-sell it to someone on this board for the same price, then that makes it worth $1,000. Many have argued here in the past that market value can be set by two people who have the means and will to buy
Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham View Post
First off let me start by saying that I am Heavydooty on EBAY! Now I know I'm gonna get murdered here but also I am not above taking advice from advanced collectors and if I get scorned, so be it! My thinking was that I thought the card would be worth about 1000.00. But if I would have asked 1000.00 I would have been offered maybe 600-700. The reason for the quick flip is because I found another card I want more and need to sell this one but I'm going to forget that now and just pull it and keep it. However, it is interesting that Shoeless Joe is on a T card and is the center panel. If his name appeared on the flip I think the card would definitely sell for alot more IMO. And I do think the card is undervalued considering JJJ appears on it. Not having his name mentioned on the card just keeps up with the whole mystique of Shoeless Joe. Now I just joined Net54 and I want to be a good member and will definitely take the ripping I'm about to receive. By the way, I find this forum really awesome!!!
I have never met a single soul on this board who could not at one time or another, be labeled "flipper", so don't let that bother you. The only exception I can think of was Leon in his early collecting days - that guy would not let go of anything.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I have never met a single soul on this board who could not at one time or another, be labeled "flipper", so don't let that bother you. The only exception I can think of was Leon in his early collecting days - that guy would not let go of anything.
Thanks Scott!! I wish I was well off so that I could keep everything I've ever bought!!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Thanks Scott!! I wish I was well off so that I could keep everything I've ever bought!!
I was much worse than you my first time around. I actually 'collected' T206 images. I figured that I could afford to own every card in the set at least long enough to take a scan and then sell. It was an incredible learning experience, as I kept upgrading my 'scan collection'. The only caveat I had to building this 'collection' was that I had to own the card in order to scan it.

The value of holding a multitude of actual cards in your hands for close examination cannot be understated. I still have my old scans and have burned several c.d.'s and mailed to interested collectors. I only wish I had made bigger scans.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Moonlight Graham.....welcome to the club.....and,

To be, or not be....Is it, or isn't it....Shoeless Joe ? That is the question at hand.

Circumstances in favor
The backdrop is Cleveland's League Park (circa 1910-11)....Shoeless Joe's first games with Cleveland were in 1910....and, the player sliding into 3rd base
appears to have "jug-handle" ears similar to Shoeless Joe's ears....I'm sure I could think of a few more reasons that would suggest the guy in this center-
fold is Shoeless Joe.

Against
But, having said all that, why American Lithograhic never printed a Joe Jackson card (circa 1909 - 1917) is a real mystery to most vintage card collectors.
So,why would we think the guy in this centerfold is Joe ? Perhaps, Joe was "anti-tobacco" (e.g., the Wagner myth) and refused to permit ATC to portray
him in a Major (League) set.
Whatever ? ?

Anyhow, I think it's time to sell my T202 Lord/Tannehill card. Its VgEx and it would be very interesting to see what the market will bring if auctioned off.

T-Rex TED

Last edited by tedzan; 06-30-2020 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Added imageevent scans.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Jeff

Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum Moonlight. One thing about here at Net54, there's never a shortage of dispirate (help Barry!) opinions. And besides, you wouldn't be the first flipper here.......by far. Glad to have you!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:09 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Quote:
Moonlight,
I guess I was the one that called you out on flipping, but there really is nothing wrong with flipping. Flipping is what makes businesses run. I have done a fair share of flipping. Once it is your card you are free to do with it as you like. If someone really wants it from you then you get to set the price.

I only pointed it out because the posts showed a psa 6 sold in August of 2010 on ebay for $266. Then you bought a psa5 nearly two weeks ago (a little over a year since the PSA 6) for $623. I would have been impressed if it could triple again within a week.

If you can sell it for the price you have out there I won't be mad at you for flipping, I will be surprised that it worked just adding the Jackson info in there (and a bit jealous).
Old 12-29-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Welcome to the forum Moonlight. One thing about here at Net54, there's never a shortage of dispirate (help Barry!) opinions. And besides, you wouldn't be the first flipper here.......by far. Glad to have you!
Thank you!! I'm honored to be here and finally chatting with you guys!! I've learned alot already!!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Moonlight,
I guess I was the one that called you out on flipping, but there really is nothing wrong with flipping. Flipping is what makes businesses run. I have done a fair share of flipping. Once it is your card you are free to do with it as you like. If someone really wants it from you then you get to set the price.

I only pointed it out because the posts showed a psa 6 sold in August of 2010 on ebay for $266. Then you bought a psa5 nearly two weeks ago (a little over a year since the PSA 6) for $623. I would have been impressed if it could triple again within a week.

If you can sell it for the price you have out there I won't be mad at you for flipping, I will be surprised that it worked just adding the Jackson info in there (and a bit jealous).
The question is: should i let the auction run? should i reduce the price? or should i just end it? it would be interesting to see what happens. at this point there have been 48 hits with 1 watcher. let me know
Old 12-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The question is: should i let the auction run? should i reduce the price? or should i just end it? it would be interesting to see what happens. at this point there have been 48 hits with 1 watcher. let me know
Welcome to the forum. Let the card run. If it doesn't sell you can relist it for less if you want to. As Scott mentioned, my first years of collecting I never flipped cards. Now I enjoy it....but most of my main collection stays in place. There is no right or wrong answer. Whatever you do, just communicate well, don't scam anyone and treat others like you want to be treated and you will do fine. There is no harm in making a profit as there will be times when you don't. Hopefully more times than not you will break even or better. Have fun and happy collecting!!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Welcome to the forum. Let the card run. If it doesn't sell you can relist it for less if you want to. As Scott mentioned, my first years of collecting I never flipped cards. Now I enjoy it....but most of my main collection stays in place. There is no right or wrong answer. Whatever you do, just communicate well, don't scam anyone and treat others like you want to be treated and you will do fine. There is no harm in making a profit as there will be times when you don't. Hopefully more times than not you will break even or better. Have fun and happy collecting!!
Thanks for the advice Leon and thanks for letting me join the forum!! By the way i'm really just collecting anything with moonlight graham in it
Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Lower Price

I've lowered the price to 1395.00 OBO-we'll see where that goes. I've had alot of looks-no offers-i guess the opening price was pretty crazy!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I truly believe the player is not joe jackson, but terry turner. T202s had alot of repeat players, and if memory serves me right, turner was featured in a few. I have also looked at some pics of him during that era and i would lean much more towards him than shoeless joe... Also, in 1911 shoeless joe hit .408! i would have to believe with those credentials, he would have been mentioned by name on the back

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-31-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I don't know what all the concern is, Bret thought the card was worth $1000 so it looks like you have a buyer at a nice profit. No need to pay the ebay fees.

Lee
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Default Online Auction

I've decided to start the card at 99 cents and let it run for a 7 day auction-maybe adding shoeless joe will at least help me break even but who knows. I really had nearly 700 dollars in the card with tax and shipping. Any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
I truly believe the player is not joe jackson, but terry turner. T202s had alot of repeat players, and if memory serves me right, turner was featured in a few. I have also looked at some pics of him during that era and i would lean much more towards him than shoeless joe... Also, in 1911 shoeless joe hit .408! i would have to believe with those credentials, he would have been mentioned by name on the back
Here we go again...

You can believe all you want... but you've already been PROVEN wrong. Terry Turner WAS featured on multiple cards on the set, which means that they obviously had a contract with him and were free to use his name (which they did on a few cards in this set). So the fact that his name is not on this particular card is just another bit of eveidence that it's not him. Also, it doesn't matter what Joe Jackson hit that year, if he didn't have a contract with the card company then they wouldn't be allowed to use his name which explains why he wasn't also featured on a side panel or in the T-205 set which shared the same portrait pictures. Oh, and by the way... If you look at the card in person and know anything about Joe Jackson you can pretty clearly tell that it's him. If that's not enough for you just go back and look at the other 70 pages of evidence in this thread.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

sorry, it's not joe jackson....also for the record, i do know just a little about jackson and i've seen the card in person because i own one!

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-06-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Believe what you will, Kevin, but you may want to check out a few key posts in this thread, mainly the initial post by Greg (botn) with a similar photo from a newspaper identifying the baserunner as Shoeless Joe, then a following comparison photo by Tim. I was also a skeptic at first, so I know where you're coming from, so to speak.

Unfortunately, Tim's comparison photo has since been removed, but it was fairly conclusive. It's a long thread, so it's tough to go back through it all, but check out post #243 (Greg's initial find of the newspaper photo identifying the baserunner as Joe), post #306 by Brett, then Tim's post #344. (other posts added to the findings, but I believe these three may be the key ones to see)

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=243

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=306

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=344

Last edited by CW; 01-06-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: to add links and thank Tim for re-uploading the pictures...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Dan Bretta

Yeah..anyone coming in late to this thread should read the whole thing...I think it was pretty conclusive that this is Shoeless Joe.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Unfortunately, Tim's comparison photo has since been removed,
I put them back.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Paul C.

Seeing the newspaper photo identified as Joe next to the card photo was the deciding factor for me. The comparison is very convincing, and I would add irrefutable in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
sorry, it's not joe jackson....also for the record, i do know just a little about jackson and i've seen the card in person because i own one!
You are a very difficult man to sway... I respect that..... But read the 3 posts above and the discussion is over. Sorry. Oh, and you may know a little bit about Jackson, but not as much as Mike Nola (the historian from the Black Betsy website) who said the player on that card is "100% Joe Jackson".

Last edited by brett; 01-06-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
I put them back.
Thanks. This was a great topic.

A couple other helpful posts...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=361

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=362
Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM
David Str@@te

Could it be that this thread inspired the folks at Helmar? At least this one clearly states Jackson is in the card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T202-Helmar-...item1c24c99094
Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraate View Post
Could it be that this thread inspired the folks at Helmar? At least this one clearly states Jackson is in the card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T202-Helmar-...item1c24c99094
I know that someone affiliated with Helmar reads this board regularly. When a board member called them into question for shill-bidding their Ebay auctions they responded swiftly.

PS: This was one of my favorite threads. Thanks for bringing it back from the dead.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Dear God I thought this thread was dead and buried.....