NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Default New Orleans Saints, Bless You Boys

For a little local flavor,

My home team is in a position we down the bayou have never seen. We are 11-0 and have a favorable schedule remaining. Sean Payton and Gregg Williams have created a monster. With Cool Drew sharing the wealth among his weapons, we are perhaps witnessing perfection.

This team is AWESOME.

Will the Saints go 16-0, or 19-0--God knows we could use it....
Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Who Dat

I wish you well, but the Saints will not go 19-0.

Signed,

A Vikings fan.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Johnny S

I think they shocked the world Monday night. If they play the Vikings in the championship game that should be a classic !
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 AM

You may be right, I'd take 14-5 if it means a SuperBowl Win!--Vikings look strong, and I look forward to the potential meeting.

Even though it would be great to have the Saints and the Colts in the first superbowl meeting of unbeatens.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Johnny S

Colts are getting worse each week and I don't see them making the Superbowl. Vikings and Saints keep getting better each week and I was shocked to see what the Saints did to the Pats. NFC finally looking like the teams to beat !
Old 12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Dave

I'm a Giants fan and I've pretty much given up on them. I normally root for NFC East teams (except for the Cowboys) when the Giants are out of it.

I'll root for the Saints this year. New Orleans deserves a winner after all these years. The fans and the team has always been fun........even when they have been very bad.

Brees is on an incredible run and has a great group of receivers. They are absent a dominant healthy running back and that may eventually haunt them. Pierre Thomas can be very good if he could somehow stay healthy.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 AM

I'm happy with Thomas and Bell, they do a pretty good job moving the chains, over one dominant running back any day. They are dominating in their own way--5+ yards a carry x 2!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 AM

A cool 12-0...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Dave

Wow, Saints must be fated. Redskins looked like they were so surprised to be winning that game, they did everything they could to force themselves to lose.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Bill T.

When Suisham shanked that kick, you could look at the 'Skins reactions on the sideline. They were all thinking, "Oh, @#$%, here it comes." And sure enough, a pick and a fumble later, and they've lost the game.

It's an awful year to be a Redskins fan. No paper bags yet, but close. Even worse that the 60s, when there were only 12 games a year to lose.

Bill
Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Johnny S

Vikings got beat but Cardinals are a good team, one play from winning the superbowl last year. Saints huge win but it probably would be good for them to get a loss before playoffs, just ask the Patriots !
Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Clayton

Default A team to reckon with.............

With the way the Saints are kickin' butt,if they can keep up the momentum,I wouldn't doubt seeing them go all the way..........I do agree that the Vikings may be a problem though..........
Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM

At least if the Saints meet the Vikings it will be in the Superdome.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 AM

13 - 0! Cowboys up next in the DOME! then Tampa and Carolina....
Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Barry Sloate

Have there ever been two teams 13-0 in one season? Not sure either will finish undefeated, as both have clinched home field throughout and may start resting key players.

Edited to add they may not have yet clinched home field but they will before the last game.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-16-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Johnny S

Both teams are heading for disaster, you can't take an undefeated season into the last stretch without paying the price. If they rest players they will lose their edge. Both teams should have 1 or 2 losses, they are sitting ducks. If the Saints end up playing Green Bay in round one I feel sorry for there fans it could be ugly. Vikings are looking strong after this weekend but you never know with them. I hope the Vikings and Saints play in the NFC Championship but don't think they will both make it, maybe one of them. Playoffs are gonna be awesome to watch this year, door is wide open for anybody.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Hey Johnny,

I hope you are WRONG about that! What I've seen is that the Saints are the most dominant team in the NFL when they are playing in the Superdome. The world will get to see that come playoff time, maybe not so much the rest of this regular season--because there is little left to play for. The public seems to have forgotten that after a couple of close wins on the road.

It appears the Saints are gonna keep the gameplan as it has been all season--which is "win the next game." Hey, they play to win.

The game left on the schedule that I like the least is the last one--Carolina in Carolina--YUCK. It will the Panthers Superbowl and when they get their horses going (Williams and Stewart) they are extremely tough.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdduet View Post
Hey Johnny,

I hope you are WRONG about that! What I've seen is that the Saints are the most dominant team in the NFL when they are playing in the Superdome. The world will get to see that come playoff time, maybe not so much the rest of this regular season--because there is little left to play for. The public seems to have forgotten that after a couple of close wins on the road.

It appears the Saints are gonna keep the gameplan as it has been all season--which is "win the next game." Hey, they play to win.

The game left on the schedule that I like the least is the last one--Carolina in Carolina--YUCK. It will the Panthers Superbowl and when they get their horses going (Williams and Stewart) they are extremely tough.
Home field is huge and you guys pretty much got it locked up ! It's all about momentum from here on out and the Saints, Vikings, and Green Bay really have it going on right now, I'm to nervous to even think about the Vikings in the playoffs but will be cheering for them and the Saints !! After the burn out of Farve last year everyone here is on edge, the Saints should go undefeated into the playoffs and then the fun starts !!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:48 PM

Well, the Saints are in the best shape they possibly can be. The secondary should be healed up come playoff time, and our back-ups will have plenty of experience in the system.

I believe the biggest obstacle will be the Vikings, should we meet them in the NFC championship game. I'd like our chances better if the Pack or Cardinals knock them out!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Tim

I couldn't believe it when Nick Folk missed a 24 yd field goal. All I could think was it was the Skins game all over again. However this time the Saints just couldn't get it done.

I don't think this loss was a terrible one as the Cowboys are a good team and it was only a matter of time before the magic that has carried them through on several other games (Skins, Dolphins) ran out.

What should concern the Saints is if the post season started tomorrow I would view the Cowboys as one of the weaker teams in the NFC playoffs.

The Saints are a great team, but a Super Bowl is a long way off.

The playoffs are going to be AWESOME!!

Last edited by Abravefan11; 12-20-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Barry Sloate

Well you can't win them all. But if the Saints have to play the Vikings for the NFC Championship, they better make sure it is in New Orleans.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Johnny S

The Saints have looked suspect since they peaked and pounded New England , this is definately a wake up call and probably a good thing for them they didn't come back and win. Now they can only focus on home field advantage because they are gonna need it unless the Vikings collapse !
Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Saints looked pretty bad on Saturday night, but all in all, the Vikings looked worse. Hopefully the Saints will HATE the feelings a loss brings and WAKE UP!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Johnny S

Vikings looked disgraceful, Saints didn't look to bad Cowboys played well and are a good team. Greenbay looked good I don't want to play them, third time is always the charm !!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Barry Sloate

Well the Saints sure played awful today. Up 17-0 against maybe the worst team in football, playing at home, home field advantage on the line...and they lose?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Tim

Of their 13 wins they have victories against:

Detroit (2)
Buffalo (5)
St Louis (1)
Tampa Bay (3)
Washington (4)

That group has a total of 15 wins between them. One of which was TB beating them today and Washington as we know should have beat them.

Two other victories were come from behind wins against Miami and Atlanta.

They have quality wins over Philly and New England but that is really about it.

I feel they're a middle of the road 9-7 team masquerading as something better.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Jim K@ne

Default Tough last few weeks for them!

Those two quality wins against the Eagles and Patriots were impressive but the last several weeks have been bad. I hope they can pull it together for the playoffs. "My team" isn't in the NFC, so I wish them well until the Super Bowl. They are a good story, so it's hard to find many who are rooting against them.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM

The Saints are struggling, no news there. They backed into the #1 seed...I sure hope they can rally in the playoffs...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Go Saints!

One down, two to go.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdduet View Post
Go Saints!

One down, two to go.
The Saints were definately ready to play, one of us will be very happy after next week. Good luck, should be a great game !!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM

One more down, one to go. Saints looked very hum-drum...the opportunistic D came through with take-a-ways, but otherwise looked porous. The Saints offense was shabby at best--and key penalties killed us....but we got a W. Vikings are a more complete team, but the Saints are on a mission and have learned how to win.

I sure hope Favre has it in him for one more year as I would love to see these 2 good teams meet again.

The Saints are one linebacker and one D-lineman away from being great....hopefully they'll focus on that come the offseason. I would also like to see us develope Chase Daniel as back up QB.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Johnny S

Words can't describe how devasted Vikings fans are today, so close and then whammo, 1998 all over again. Seems like a bad dream. Good luck and congrats to the Saints !!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM

I hear you Johnny. The Vikes fought hard and for that the Viking nation should be proud....they just made too many key mistakes. I'll keep tabs on them in the offseason to monitor the Favre situation--I sure hope he comes back...he is a great player and a fun guy. I enjoy watching him play.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Mike

I'm a big Brett Farve Fan. The only mistake that mattered was not running
the ball when he had 5-10 yards of open field. He has a habit of trying
to put the ball through a key hole. Still very proud of what he did all year.
mike
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
I'm a big Brett Farve Fan. The only mistake that mattered was not running the ball when he had 5-10 yards of open field.
That's akin to saying "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

If he takes 3-4 strides and slides, the Vikings are lining up for a game-winning field goal. if he throws it away they have a less likely chance but still a 55 yard attempt. Instead, he makes a pass that would get an 8th grader benched.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Jim VB

I agree Todd. But the funny thing is, He ran the same play in the Dallas game last week. Rolled right. Looked back for Rice running a crossing pattern over the middle. Threw across his body, behind Rice, and completed the pass.

Back then, everyone was saying, "THAT is why the Vikings signed Brett Favre!"

Vikings' fans have to accept the good with the bad on this. Without Favre, they're a .500 team fighting to get to the playoffs. With him, they're a play away from the Super Bowl.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Barry Sloate

Vikings coughed up the ball way too many times because frankly, they outplayed the Saints.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Johnny S

I think Farve already retired and decided to come back..........
Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Todd Schultz

Default not exactly, Jim

Quote:
Back then, everyone was saying, "THAT is why the Vikings signed Brett Favre!"
Not here, and no one I knew--the only clown stating that was Buck in the booth. That pass always has been and always will be a dumb play.

I'm no Nostradamus, but I predicted this from the beginning: 1) the Vikes would not go to the Super Bowl with Favre, but could play a second playoff game instead of the one they played last year without him; 2) they would bow out in their last game on a turnover by Favre or a coaching blunder by Childress (actually, that's a safe bet almost any game) or both; and 3) they would be subjected to another post-season soap opera of will he stay or will he go.

BTW, they're much better than a .500 team without Favre, and will prove that next year.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Not here, and no one I knew--the only clown stating that was Buck in the booth. That pass always has been and always will be a dumb play.

I'm no Nostradamus, but I predicted this from the beginning: 1) the Vikes would not go to the Super Bowl with Favre, but could play a second playoff game instead of the one they played last year without him; 2) they would bow out in their last game on a turnover by Favre or a coaching blunder by Childress (actually, that's a safe bet almost any game) or both; and 3) they would be subjected to another post-season soap opera of will he stay or will he go.

BTW, they're much better than a .500 team without Favre, and will prove that next year.
I agree completly and hope Favre stays away as I think the Vikes will still be a very good team next year. There was just something not right about the whole Favre situation in MN this year.

He is a very good QB and it was amazing what he did at his age but it was not surprising (IMO) what happened. You HAVE to be smart in that situation and he simply was not thinking of the smart thing. That recklessness/style of play makes him who he is but for Viking fans, the smart play would have probably put them in the Super Bowl. Really too bad. The fans bought into this hook line and sinker. I know as I live and work right in the middle of it.

A good analogy to Baseball is Torii Hunter formerly of the Twins, now Angels. Torii is a great outfielder but a few years back with the Twins, he lost a playoff game (I think against the A's) by trying to make a crazy diving catch in the 9th inning that he missed by 2 feet and it rolled all the way to the wall and the Twins lost the game mostly due to this play. Same mentality as Favre. You have to be smart and play to the situation.

Sorry for the rant. Something I just had to get off my chest

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 01-25-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Spelling