NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-20-2021, 08:09 PM
Jacques Marie

Default PSA completely unethical

They have people waiting 9 months to get cards graded for submissions that used to take 30 days but they are going to do on site grading at the national. Nice
Old 07-20-2021, 08:40 PM
David Ribbens

Agreed, sent my cards to them in October - still be "researched" 9 months later.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:48 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm412 View Post
They have people waiting 9 months to get cards graded for submissions that used to take 30 days but they are going to do on site grading at the national. Nice
I do not think what they are doing is unethical

But it is not professional or considerate to their existing and waiting customer base.

The optics is bad and they should be utilizing there resources to take care of their existing back log first

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-20-2021, 08:49 PM

I see nothing unethical unless PSA stated that they would NOT grade at the National. I expect they did not.

The National gives collectors another option. You can fly to the National and use their on-site services if you choose. It will probably be more expensive than their mail services, but it is an option.

There is no right to have your cards graded faster by entering their mail queue, unless your contract with PSA so provides.

I am not thrilled that PSA has gotten so expensive and increased its wait times. My response is not to use their services. But I think it is good for them to go to the National and give collectors an additional choice.

edited to add: If you call PSA and say you will pay “the National fee” to have your mail submission pulled from the queue, graded and delivered—and they refuse—then I will get where you are coming from.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-20-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:00 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Incredibly long wait times, losing orders, slabbing altered cards, price gouging their customers and there are still people here who defend them.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:06 PM
Jacques Marie

you sound like an attorney. so let suppose the power is out at your house and your local utility sends you emails stating they are doing everything possible to get the lights back on. you with me. and then you find out they are sending a team to a more affluent neighborhood to moon light and pick up some spare cash. i don't care what they do just don't send emails out telling people you care. unethical or good business. you say tomato i say tomahto.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:11 PM

Yes I say tomato. Tomahto is stupid.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:15 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Their business, PSA, is not essential like the power company is, it’s a high end choice service to grade with that company.

The days of this being a blue collar hobby have sadly long been over.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-20-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:18 PM
Jacques Marie

tomahto
Old 07-20-2021, 09:20 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Then there's this:

I hired a handyman to come out to my house Monday. He never showed. After waiting an hour and 45 minutes he finally replied to my texts with "Sorry, had problems with my truck." I asked him if he was still coming out and as of this evening, 32 hours later, no reply.

So I hired a different handy man to meet me at the house tomorrow.

You don't like PSA, for any reason, go with someone else. Simple.

And comparing having your electricity go out to not being able to get your cardboard evaluated in a timely manner is not a good analogy. Neither would comparing waiting for PSA be a good analogy to waiting for a heart transplant.

Perspective is important: PSA evaluates cardboard and ink.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
There business is not essential like the power company is it’s a high end choice to grade with that company.

of course its not essential. that being said they make statements that are patently false in terms of delivering a product. this was a public company that recently was taken private they now answer to no one and people who applied for basic services can no longer get any service.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:26 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Then there's this:

I hired a handyman to come out to my house Monday. He never showed. After waiting an hour and 45 minutes he finally replied to my texts with "Sorry, had problems with my truck." I asked him if he was still coming out and as of this evening, 32 hours later, no reply.

And comparing having your electricity go out to not being able to get your cardboard evaluated in a timely manner is not a good analogy. Neither would comparing waiting for PSA be a good analogy to waiting for a heart transplant.

only problem is that this handyman already has keys to your house
Old 07-20-2021, 09:27 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Yes I say tomato. Tomahto is stupid.
you are fantastic
Old 07-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I see nothing unethical unless PSA stated that they would NOT grade at the National. I expect they did not.

The National gives collectors another option. You can fly to the National and use their on-site services if you choose. It will probably be more expensive than their mail services, but it is an option.

There is no right to have your cards graded faster by entering their mail queue, unless your contract with PSA so provides.

I am not thrilled that PSA has gotten so expensive and increased its wait times. My response is not to use their services. But I think it is good for them to go to the National and give collectors an additional choice.

edited to add: If you call PSA and say you will pay “the National fee” to have your mail submission pulled from the queue, graded and delivered—and they refuse—then I will get where you are coming from.
craven
Old 07-20-2021, 09:34 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Then there's this:

we are talking about good business practice. of course its just cardboard. so you are saying that makes it ok to be deceptive.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:41 PM
Jacques Marie

just cardboard (tell them that):

The Newport Beach, Calif.-based company expects revenues for the quarter ended Dec. 31 of $35.4 million, with a gross margin of 64% and operating income of approximately $10 million.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:54 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Then there's this:

As President & CEO at COLLECTORS UNIVERSE INC, Joseph J. Orlando made $1,621,754 in total compensation. Of this total $362,500 was received as a salary, $340,750 was received as a bonus, $0 was received in stock options, $918,504 was awarded as stock and $0 came from other types of compensation. This information is according to proxy statements filed for the 2020 fiscal year.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:55 PM
Jacques Marie

perspective is important
Old 07-20-2021, 09:57 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Then there's this:

I would say that Joe Orlando is closer to a utility than a handyman in terms of GDP
Old 07-20-2021, 10:07 PM
Mike P.ap

Default An old story......

Anyone who has been around awhile always knew PSA was unethical. Fact.

Many years ago, there was a 1948 Bowman Basketball low number find in an attic in Vermont. My buddy had been sending new cards to Beckett for years so he sent the find to Beckett. I did not care because they were razor sharp pack fresh. Over a couple years, I bought most in Beckett holders and slowly broke them out and sent to PSA. EVERY card graded with PSA and was usually within a half grade. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher in the new PSA slabs.

Here's the story.....at the end I got tired of breaking them out so I sent PSA my last 4 BVG 8's. Waited patiently and they popped one day! "did not meet min grade" which I had put down as 8 since they had been very consistent. I was mad. I called PSA and had them "admin hold the cards for re-checking".

2 days later they called, told me the head grader reviewed them, and sent them back to me. I basically paid about $160 at the time for PSA to look at my cards and tell me they were not 8s and they sent them back in the Beckett 8 holders!!!! $160 for NOTHING!

I was livid, broke all 4 out and resubmitted! Yes PSA is such a genius at getting our money twice. Take a guess what all 4 cards graded out as?

BINGO. PSA 8, PSA 8, PSA 8, PSA 8

Absolutely unethical and incompetent!

I knew they were 8s. Beckett knew they were 8s....... PSA had to get 2 rounds of cash to tell me that they were 8s!

UGH!

Mike

PS I have the 6th ranked Registry Set and the 3rd highest GPA due to this find. Highest grades were 9s. I only did it for the Registry! I wish SGC still had a registry! ugh

DSCN1003 (1).jpg. 002.jpg

001.jpg. DSCN1005.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 07-21-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:12 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Then there's this:

Mark17 or whoever you are if its just "cardboard and ink" why is it so expensive to evaluate and why should you have 64% profit margin to do such "simpleton" work as you say. these people are worthy of criticism as are we all. then again i am a "simpleton" from pittsburgh
Old 07-20-2021, 10:19 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Their business, PSA, is not essential like the power company is, it’s a high end choice service to grade with that company.

you are wrong John. If Amazon did not deliver your "stuff" when they said they would you would be an "unhappy John"
Old 07-20-2021, 10:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Mark17 or whoever you are if its just "cardboard and ink" why is it so expensive to evaluate and why should you have 64% profit margin to do such "simpleton" work as you say. these people are worthy of criticism as are we all. then again i am a "simpleton" from pittsburgh
His name is under his id.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:24 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
you are wrong John. If Amazon did not deliver your "stuff" when they said they would you would be an "unhappy John"
if i had reservations at a "high end restaurant" and they said we are busy go to "burger king" i guess you would say ok
Old 07-20-2021, 10:26 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
His name is under his id.
thanks Leon (peasant / forum owner)
Old 07-20-2021, 10:36 PM
Mike P.ap

Default depends....

Quote:
if i had reservations at a "high end restaurant" and they said we are busy go to "burger king" i guess you would say ok
Depends how hungry I was...... you ever had a Whopper with Cheese with Heavy everything on it?

Messy but Yummy!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-20-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:39 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Depends how hungry I was...... you ever had a Whopper with Cheese with Heavy everything on it?

Messy but Yummy!

Mike
Mike I am originally from NY so its White Castle
Old 07-20-2021, 10:42 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Nice....

Quote:
Mike I am originally from NY so its White Castle
I literally almost bought frozen White Castle Burgers last night at local grocery store in VT. I like them but they go through me quickly if you know what I mean!

Mike

download.jpeg

Last edited by vthobby; 07-20-2021 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:47 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
I literally almost bought frozen White Castle Burgers last night at local grocery store in VT. I like them but they go through me quickly if you know what I mean!

Mike
dont waylay me PSA is horrible but if White Castle graded cards that would slide right thru and be fairly inexpensive (pun)
Old 07-20-2021, 10:49 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I do not think what they are doing is unethical

But it is not professional or considerate to their existing and waiting customer base.

The optics is bad and they should be utilizing there resources to take care of their existing back log first
I agree. Not unethical…but pretty shitty of them.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:50 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:

Mike

Attachment 469994
I now wish White Castle had made a tender offer for PSA
Old 07-20-2021, 10:55 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I work in IT and this is a simple logical choice:

1. Do business with PSA
2. Don't do business with PSA

What so many people here do is choose #1, and then complain ad nauseam, in thread after thread after thread, about how bad and over-priced and slow PSA is. Hasn't that horse been beaten to death yet?

I collect GU jerseys but if cards were my thing, I'd be into raw, or would've switched over to Beckett or SGC long ago. If I continued to use PSA, with all the problems so thoroughly and repetitively enumerated here, I would accept the reality of the situation rather than complain as I hand them more cash.

It reminds me of the guy who bangs his head against the wall and complains that it hurts.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:03 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:

1. Do business with PSA

What so many people here do is choose #1, and then complain ad nauseam, in thread after thread after thread, about how bad and over-priced and slow PSA is. Hasn't that horse been beaten to death yet?

I collect GU jerseys but if cards were my thing, I'd be into raw, or would've switched over to Beckett or SGC long ago. If I continued to use PSA, with all the problems so thoroughly and repetitively enumerated here, I would accept the reality of the situation rather than complain as I hand them more cash.

It reminds me of the guy who bangs his head against the wall and complains that it hurts.
make no mistake i will never go with psa again i just have cards that are stranded there and the fact that they are claiming to do their best but offering specials to the highest bidder is disingenuous and again its just cardboard and i have little in the game but they are making millions on "cardboard"
Old 07-20-2021, 11:08 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
make no mistake i will never go with psa again....
And given your experience, I would make that same decision. I found a different handy man, you will find a different grading company or choose to collect raw cards. We will both be fine.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:36 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
And given your experience, I would make that same decision. I found a different handy man, you will find a different grading company or choose to collect raw cards. We will both be fine.
agreed although while castle fried clams at 2 am on fordham road beats burger king
Old 07-21-2021, 12:03 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

1. Do business with PSA

PSA brings the highest resale prices. People who don't care about resale will choose other TPG. People who want the highest return on investment will choose PSA and complain. If someone else started a registry that could compete against PSA, that would change the market!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-21-2021, 12:14 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
PSA brings the highest resale prices. People who don't care about resale will choose other TPG. People who want the highest return on investment will choose PSA and complain. If someone else started a registry that could compete against PSA, that would change the market!

Right. So if someone does their own personal cost-benefit analysis, is aware of all the PSA related problems and frustrations, and concludes the upside outweighs the downside, why complain about the downside? It's their choice to do business with them.

I really do wish someone would start a cross-TPG registry for those people who are into that. I also hope other TPGs will enter the market with quality services. Competition is good.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:10 AM
Jacques Marie

Quote:

Tim you are clearly missing the point. PSA just needs to be clear 1. our service sucks unless you are willing to pay top dollar 2. we are shameless and will make any statement to make it appear we care about service 3. we don't care about service

that should be their mission statement

they should not be offering any services until they get through the glut of submissions that they accepted knowing full well they were not going to be able to deliver

you can argue all your dog eat dog comments you want but most people on this board just seem to enjoy this as a hobby and then you have PSA that wants to monetize every opportunity and deliver crappy service

for gods sake i collect track and field cards i must have rocks in my head
Old 07-21-2021, 05:36 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:

Mike

Attachment 469994
They go through everyone quickly. That is why they sell so many.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:40 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Mark, I agree with you, and I'll add that of all the questionable things PSA does that throw sand in my gearbox, having longer than expected wait times at a time when they've been so busy they had to stop taking new submissions doesn't make my list.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:42 AM
Robert Williams

If anyone can feel your pain, it is me. Not many people can say that PSA has lost one of their orders. I can. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and will reserve judgement for how they handle my situation. Right now, it isn't looking favorable.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:09 AM
pete ullman

PSA sucks...they have proven since day 1(with the grading of Gretzky Wagner) they're not capable of accurately assessing cards. They have reinforced this over the years with their inconsistent and ever changing grading standards.

The folks over at Blowout forums have exposed this over and over...time and time again.

At what point does it become an issue of PSA's fanboys/customer base are greedy and only care about the all mighty dollar...kinda like PSA.

With most business models...if a business operated the way PSA does...they'd be out of business lickety split...not thriving and making money hand over fist.

Not to even mention the ridiculous cost/wait times?

So who's to blame here???

Last edited by ullmandds; 07-21-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:06 AM
john
j0hn carr0.ll

I've had it, never again will I send them a card.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:49 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Tim you are clearly missing the point.....

you can argue all your dog eat dog comments you want but most people on this board just seem to enjoy this as a hobby and then you have PSA that wants to monetize every opportunity and deliver crappy service
I'm not missing the point. I don't grade my cards. I am one of those collectors who collect for the enjoyment, like you. But I'm not naive either. I started collecting during the junk wax era 30 years ago when I was six, and I've known full well since elementary school that every facet of card collecting is based on economics. Beckett monthly publication. Dead on centered, mint, gem mint, eye appeal. Hot List / Cold List. LCS. Card shows. The National. Those are all terms of dog eat dog competition. And everyone on this board recognizes that. Some of us, like you and me, just choose not to get caught up in it. But all people on this board realize that this hobby is clearly the definition of capitalism, and has been since all of us were children. Except maybe TedZ who appears to be as old as Santa Claus.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-21-2021, 08:22 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Quote:
make no mistake i will never go with psa again i just have cards that are stranded there and the fact that they are claiming to do their best but offering specials to the highest bidder is disingenuous and again its just cardboard and i have little in the game but they are making millions on "cardboard"
PSA is making millions on cardboard .
So are the people that sell their High Grade PSA cards.
Have you seen the latest Auction Prices.

That is the reason why they have so many submissions.
I collect Pre War but even all of the new stuff is getting record prices.
Glad that I bought mine before the latest surge.

PS . I agree that the long wait time is not what you sign on for based on the
Submission that you agreed on and that PSA should give something back to its customers like free subs but with the success they are having I don’t see it.
Also You will have to pay a heavy price to have cards graded at the National.

John P
Old 07-21-2021, 08:43 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

I don't know why anyone should be surprised by this. Bottom line is you have a choice to use PSA or not it's as simple as that.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:01 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I don't know why anyone should be surprised by this. Bottom line is you have a choice to use PSA or not it's as simple as that.
+1
Old 07-21-2021, 09:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree Tim.
And PSA isn't doing anything unethical. It's business. Are they screwing a lot of customers over, absolutely. But it doesn't matter to them, or their customers apparently, as the more people submit the more money they and PSA make. It's not rocket science. I applaud them for taking advantage of the situation and just shake my head at the comments from those that can't wait to submit and complain too.
My prediction is yet another grading company comes to fruition soon. You heard it here first.
Why wouldn't someone enter the market with the chaos and money involved?

Quote:
I'm not missing the point. I don't grade my cards. I am one of those collectors who collect for the enjoyment, like you. But I'm not naive either. I started collecting during the junk wax era 30 years ago when I was six, and I've known full well since elementary school that every facet of card collecting is based on economics. Beckett monthly publication. Dead on centered, mint, gem mint, eye appeal. Hot List / Cold List. LCS. Card shows. The National. Those are all terms of dog eat dog competition. And everyone on this board recognizes that. Some of us, like you and me, just choose not to get caught up in it. But all people on this board realize that this hobby is clearly the definition of capitalism, and has been since all of us were children. Except maybe TedZ who appears to be as old as Santa Claus.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree Tim.
And PSA isn't doing anything unethical. It's business. Are they screwing a lot of customers over, absolutely. But it doesn't matter to them, or their customers apparently, as the more people submit the more money they and PSA make. It's not rocket science. I applaud them for taking advantage of the situation and just shake my head at the comments from those that can't wait to submit and complain too.
My prediction is yet another grading company comes to fruition soon. You heard it here first.
Why wouldn't someone enter the market with the chaos and money involved?
Ebay, I hear.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:30 AM
Robert Williams

If I do another group sub with them, I have no one to blame but myself. Of course, if they make this right with me, I would be tempted. Leon nailed it. You hate to use anyone else, because PSA cards are getting a premium. If this isn't the proverbial "catch 22", I don't know what is......