NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Default Ebay News: What's it worth? eBay lets users search prices

Posted By: DJ

Who is in? What do you guys think?

Online auctioneer eBay Inc. on Thursday introduced a new service that allows buyers and sellers to search the price history of any product on its electronic marketplace worldwide for up to 90 days

EBay Marketplace Research, as the new subscription service is known, gives buyers and sellers a view into millions of eBay listing, bidding, and pricing trends, in effect creating a constantly updated barometer of consumer shopping habits.

The paid service gives subscribers access to data, charts and graphs, that show the prices eBay's 168 million users have paid in any auction over the past several months, which gives consumers a powerful way to find baseline product prices.

"It does help you to get some idea of the true value of what you are selling," said Martin Pyykkonen, an analyst with brokerage Hoefer & Arnett in Boulder, Colorado.

"With research, the informed buyer is going to be able to say, 'The item is worth about this,"' agreed Hal Varian, an economist at the University of California's Haas School of Business.

Marketplace Research comes in three subscription levels, starting with a two-day pass for $2.99, a basic monthly service

for $9.99 and a professional package priced at $24.99 a month. The first two services show pricing data going back 60 days while the professional subscription -- aimed at power sellers -- has a 90-day pricing history and international market data.

Sellers can follow trends as they play out online, allowing them to adapt their sales strategies immediately.

Pyykkonen said the service will help eBay's core base of existing auctioneers. "Ebay needs to do everything they can to help the seller community" by bringing more sellers online and converting them into veteran "power sellers," Pyykkonen said.

Gartner Inc. analyst Allen Weiner said competition in the online auction market is heating up, both from start-ups and other major Internet players who are pushing their way into the classified advertising market, including Google Inc..

EBay is looking for ways to make it easier for new users to take part, Weiner said. "Part of the big mystery of online auctions is their inefficiency," he said. "By offering pricing history, eBay is making people's time online more efficient.

"A lot of people are very inexperienced and really have no idea about how to set prices," Weiner said.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Great service and much needed. While I would be willing to pay $24.99 for a service of this type, I think that being able to only recover 90 days worth of sales is a bit limited. So I would not subscribe. I think there was a time when ebay had a much smaller database where 90 days was the standard for looking at completed results. 90 days is better than the current 2 weeks but a far cry from what I would like to access.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

In my experiences especially with cards the price that a card gets one week most often is dramatically more or less the 2nd time it comes around. Especially with newer cards, I have seen on a frequent basis that a card will go for $45- $55 over a span of a monthy and then for about 2 days the price jumps up to $80 b/c of several high snipes and then back down to the $45- $55 range.

While this option might be good for items that rarely come up (10x's a year). I just don't see this could benefit somone unless they are willing to pay for the most expensive service since the 2 day service is limited in scope and more than likely could miss what you are looking with particular items that are truely rare. As with everything else that is pretty common on ebay which most things are you get more than an ideal picture of what your item will bring buy just have a basic completed listing search.

eBay will probably make a killing on this though b/c sellers will view this as the new best thing that eBay has to offer. A draw back to this though could result into seeing more of my pet peeves.

Ex. Actually came from a listing this past summer. Will probably be seeing more of these in the future

1989 Randy Johnson UD BGS 9.5 (At the time completed listings sold for $85)
This card was selling for over $225 back in the winter. Don't you people understand how great this card is. I don't understand why this card is going for so much less than what it was going for back then.

I'll get off my little rant now.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

60 days is not enough to find the information you need. Then you have to filter through all of the auctions in order to see which are legitimate, ie...incorrect listings, qualifiers, etc... what a hassle plus there are cards that don't come up in your time frame so you are left out.

With in the next few months vintagecardprice.com will be up and running and you will be able to search through almost every set for results on all graded cards (AUTH to 10) by GAI, PSA and SGC only. The realized price from every major auction house as well as EBAY will be in the database. We are working on a way that you will be able to sort the information by grading company as well as a few other features. Add it will have a search function so that if you want to know every card that a player is on it will show up in your query. There will be 2 membership types, monthly $9.95 and yearly $99.95 and the site is automatically updated everyday. I hope that everyone here will join because I am commiting a lot of time and resources to getting this project off the ground. And I believe it will be a tool for everyone to use. We will be launching with almost every pre-war set that will have scans of every card when you search that card (We have a large number of the pixs but it will take time to get the over 14,000 cards we will have in the database). Shortly after by next sumer we will add the post war through 1959. If there is a demand for more and the membership is strong we will complete the rest to date.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob S

Hi Robert,

This is the right way to go. For the very reasons Charlie mentioned, the eBay offering is worthless. And it also eliminates all transactions outside of eBay, which are especially important to us vintage cards collectors. I'll be signing up as soon as you folks are ready to go.

I've been a member of eBay since '97, and haven't sold anything on there since early 2004. The eBay/Paypal monopoly is not my cup of tea. All my sportscard transactions since then have been person to person. eBay's BS about offering "protection" to the buyers/sellers is nonsense, imo.

Thanks, and much success in all the hard work that lies ahead for you and your team.

Bob

I edited out a "d" I mistakenly added to Charlies' name. What, anal....who, me? LMAO.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Given the amount of money some of us pay in seller fees to eBay, it's obnoxious that they're charging this much for a service that should already be providing.