NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default Raw card preservation

Posted By: Matthew R

I am fairly new to collecting, and would like the opinion of the board for raw card preservation. Is the universal consensus screwdowns? I have read that some people have had some problems with the card bending when the screw is tightened too much.

I believe there are a couple different kinds of screwdowns recessed, non-recessed, 1-screw, 4-screw. Which combination is best? Do you put your card in a penny sleeve and a toploader before the card is put in a screwdown or does a penny sleeve suffice? So basically what I am asking is how do you protect your raw vintage cards?
(note I'm talking about caramels and t-cards)

Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

I place all raw cards in a penny sleeve, followed by a top loader, then wrap the top loader in a team bag.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I put my raw cards in penny sleeves and then those in top loaders. It works great. I have a few on display in screwdowns but I don't really recommend them due to potentially damaging the card.....

Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Sleeves and top loaders are the way to go, those two above are telling you correctly.

I used to do that... now, some are in sheets in binders. Some are neatly stacked in boxes, loose. And some are in sleeves only, in a box. These last two ways make for better storage in a safety deposit box, they take up less space. I'm not recommending what I'm doing, just telling you what I do. I used screwdowns for a year or so, about 15 to 20 years ago. That is NOT the way to go.

Cards need to not be in bright light for extended periods. Don't frame so sunlight can hit them. Don't frame unless you use UV film and glass. The light will bleach your cards to nothing, given time.

So if you're not confronted with space crunch, do what Jason and Leon above do. I'd pitch your screwdowns.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Anyone prefer semi-rigid card savers to the penny/top loader approach?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MEWheat

Agree with Leon with one addition. I use penny sleeves, top loaders and then store both graded cards and top loaders in 7.62 mm old metal Army ammo boxes that have a rubber gasket at the top.

I am not sure if all army ammo boxes have the gasket, but they hold graded cards perfectly without allowing them to jostle around, and provide some protection from moisture/water. They make a perfect carrying case as well.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the look of cards when in a penny sleeve and top loader. I've used Card Saver II's (with no penny sleeve) for as long as I can remember with no ill effects, and for me at least, the visual presentation of the cards seems a lot clearer and crisper and the card doesn't jostle around in the holder at all. The top loader with penny sleeve might add a little more physical protection, but if you aren't a complete spaz that shouldn't be an issue. I suppose some might say that chemicals in the plastic will damage the cards, but once again, I'm 30 years into storing my cards this way with no problems whatsoever.