NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Default Grading Question...

Posted By: Dave

So let's say you purchased a card graded by GAI or PSA but you really wanted it in an SGC holder... the one catch was that you were worried that it may get a lesser grade (which you always assume might happen with SGC when dealing with a graded card from another company)

Do you just say to hell with the number and cross over? Or do you keep it as is in it's GAI or PSA state? Do you care about the grade or the financial re-sale implications it could possibly have by the hammering of an SGC grader?

I'm curious to know what this board thinks.... all opinions are welcome!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I'm sure it depends on if you're planning on selling it or not.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Let's say you don't have any plans on ever selling it, but it's not a cheap card and if times get tough you might need the funds from it...

Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

sounds like it is an expensive card, and it's not in the holder you want it in, but you feel it is slightly overgraded in the holder it is in.

My suggestions are:

A) Don't buy it if you're not happy with its grade.

B) If you do buy it, don't cross it to anything lower if there is a chance you may need to sell it.

For better or worse, an overgraded card still sells for more in its overgraded holer than it does when properly graded in your preferred grading company's holder.

If it is a significant amount of money at stake, the delta (between current and expected grade) is what you're putting at risk if you cross it.

Marc

Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

If there is the possibility of selling it, then I suppose it's subjective since you have to weigh:
1) The potential loss in value due to the crossover
vs.
2) The value to you of having that card in an SGC holder

If we're talking about a significant card, then for me 2 would never outweigh 1.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Pretty sound advice Marc... I purchased this card and on further examination am a little worried about it losing a grade should I cross it over... not a huge difference, but the re-sale price of a 4 is always better than a 30, a 2 is better than a 10... so on and so forth.

Can you send specific instructions to SGC not to remove the card from the holder should they feel it deserves a lesser grade? I live in NYC so I would plan on bringing it in person.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

You can state a minimum grade on crossovers.

They will not crack if they are not going to give you your grade.

Thats exactly how I would proceed in this type of situation.

edit to add:
SGCs policy is - on crossover - the minimum grade stated must be equal to or lower than the already graded card.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

I've never brought cards in person but it looks like this card is the perfect reason to make the trip. Thanks all!

This board makes tough decisions a lot easier!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the grading companies charge significantly more for on-site grading.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I once submitted a T206 Shappe (spelling variation) to SGC. It was in a Beckett holder...and I asked that it get the equal grade in an SGC holder or not cross at all. I end up getting a phone call from Bob Luce saying the card does look ok...but to be sure he is going to have to crack it out of the Beckett holder...talk about a couple hours of worrying!

Basically with cards valued over $500, I believe based on the phone conversation with Bob Luce that SGC will examine a card in its current holder..and then if they feel it will "probably" cross, your going to get a phone call letting you know that they will need to bust it out...and you may or may not get it into a SGC holder. Obviously once they bust it out its easier for them to examing edges and such which if they do find something alarming, suddenly you have a card with no holder at all!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Yeah, on-site will be more money, but in the case I'd be willing to do it