NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 12-03-2020, 10:02 PM
Eric Perry

Default The curious tale of my Gretzky rookie

Pictured here is my copy of Gretzky's iconic 79/80 Topps card. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

How I came to own this card and the love/hate relationship I've had with it are an interesting little story. Since this hockey forum section is new, and there is not yet a ton of content, I figured now would as good a time as any to regale the group with the curious tale of my Gretzky rookie.

It was about six years ago. I drank back then - quite a bit - something which I thankfully no longer do. One evening, after knocking back a few, I had enough "liquid courage" in me to take a chance on a card. It was expensive, for me, and something wan't quite right. This Topps Gretzky was in a PSA slab, one which read, "O-Pee-Chee" on the flip.

Still, I was enamored with the idea of once again owning a rookie card of the Great One. It would be my third, although the other two were long since gone. Plus, the card was being offered here on the Net54 BST. Of all the online places where I have bought and/or sold, this was the one with which I easily had the greatest comfort level. So, I swallowed my fear (and probably some more of a substance with a considerably higher proof) and committed to buy the card.

After making the purchase (by check...the seller didn't have PayPal) and receiving the card, I got to work. Poring over every inch of the card and PSA holder with a loupe, making high-res scans, analyzing, scrutinizing...doing everything possible to make sure the card was legit. I even compared it to a 79/80 Wayne Stephenson.

Show of hands - who else here has made a 2400 dpi scan of a Wayne Stephenson card? Well, I did...and compared it to the Gretzky.

My last step in the verification process was sending the card off to PSA and have them re-holder it. Times were different back then. You could send a card, call to check up on it, and get the card back in less than a year! Ah, the good ol' days. It passed muster, was slabbed with the correct label, and returned to me. I really was quite happy with everything. After a little while, I took the card off my desk and stored it away properly. For a few years, I thought about it occasionally but didn't handle it.

And then, there was Slabgate.

After hearing enough to feel some genuine concern, I systematically went through all my PSA graded cards. When I got to the Gretzky, my world came to a screeching halt. Instead of fitting snugly in its holder, the card rattled around inside its plastic tomb. There was (and is) a small gap between the edges of the card and the rails inside the PSA case.

Given the news that was breaking hobby-wide, my mind instantly went to a sad but logical thought. "Holy $h!t, do I have a trimmed card?" After coming to grips with that possibility, my next question was, "what am I going to do with it?"

Several scenarios raced through my head, some of them admittedly out of character for me. I figured it would be best to put the whole thing on pause, think things through, and revisit the topic at a later date. My rationale was this: I could always sell the card later; however, I'd never be able to un-ring that bell.

Fast forward a few years, and I still have the card. In an odd way, it has become one of the most interesting pieces of my collection.

Is it trimmed? PSA says no. They said it twice, actually. However, that carries very little weight these days.

Is it just short, a byproduct of variance with cards printed 40 years ago? Perhaps. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I am a bit of a flake, and getting older by the day.

I'll never know for sure, one way or the other. Curiously, though, I care much less about that as time goes in. The longer I've had this card, the more attached I've become to it.

So yes, there are many Gretzky rookies, but this one is mine. For all its flaws, either real or imagined, I would rather have this one than any other Gretzky in the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1979-80-Topps-18-Wayne-Gretzky-(Front).jpg (79.1 KB, 115 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-04-2020, 07:43 AM
Amund

Great story, thanks for posting. And this, at the end of the day is the problem with TPG-that someone else is telling us whether our card is nice or not and the peace of mind that it either does or does not bring.
Glad you like your card cause in the end that's what this is all for!
Old 12-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Rob

Love it. The story AND the card. As “Squints” said., as long as you’re happy...... I myself am perfectly content with my BVG 6 Gretz RC. Yeah, the slab says “6”, but it’s got an 8 for surface and 9s for corners and edges. That 5 for the o/c top to bottom bothers me not one little bit. Thanks for the story, always fun to hear about others card adventures.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:08 PM

Default PSA Holder

Another variable is the PSA holder itself. We assume that all holders are equal, which isn't the case. The PSA standard holder size has changed many times over the years. Some holders do have a bit of a gap in them, while others seem to hold the card snug, so that is a consideration.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:19 PM
Tony

Great story Eric. I've made many a poor decision while drinking and buying cards haha. I'd say you did really well in this instance! Beautiful card. The OC is tough. Plenty of even border on the right side. Doesn't detract from the card at all.

I have my own Gretzky tale. Just last night I participated in a 1979 Topps set break through Vintage Breaks, who I believe is a friend to Net54. I don't get involved in breaks that often but watch occasionally. I was feeling lucky Wednesday so I bought into the break for 10 spots. The break went live last night. We were out getting a Christmas tree so I couldn't even tune in to watch. I checked the break list when we got home and...bang...hit card 18 a PSA 7 Gretzky rookie! I was jumping around the house. I know it's like gambling but $200 for a PSA 7 Gretzky rookie has basically made my Christmas haha. Can't wait to have it in hand and will drop some pictures when it comes in.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:57 PM
Amund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post
Great story Eric. I've made many a poor decision while drinking and buying cards haha. I'd say you did really well in this instance! Beautiful card. The OC is tough. Plenty of even border on the right side. Doesn't detract from the card at all.

I have my own Gretzky tale. Just last night I participated in a 1979 Topps set break through Vintage Breaks, who I believe is a friend to Net54. I don't get involved in breaks that often but watch occasionally. I was feeling lucky Wednesday so I bought into the break for 10 spots. The break went live last night. We were out getting a Christmas tree so I couldn't even tune in to watch. I checked the break list when we got home and...bang...hit card 18 a PSA 7 Gretzky rookie! I was jumping around the house. I know it's like gambling but $200 for a PSA 7 Gretzky rookie has basically made my Christmas haha. Can't wait to have it in hand and will drop some pictures when it comes in.
Well congrats, Early Christmas!!
Old 12-05-2020, 03:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Great story, Eric.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohman99 View Post
Another variable is the PSA holder itself. We assume that all holders are equal, which isn't the case. The PSA standard holder size has changed many times over the years. Some holders do have a bit of a gap in them, while others seem to hold the card snug, so that is a consideration.

Yeah, I don't deal in too much graded, but I got into a 1986 Bruce Smith Rookie kick for a bit. Had a small stack of PSA 8's, and noticed one of them was floating around a bit in the gasket.

Now, why would anybody trim a Bruce Smith Rookie card I asked myself? His card wasn't selling for much until after the 2020 bump (and 8's are still pretty cheap), and these weren't newly graded. I went so far as to pull a millimeter ruler out and eyed it as best as possible, and as far as I could tell the cards all measured exactly the same...........it was the gasket for that one card that was slightly bigger.

Also have a Munson Rookie that looks like it's swimming around in the slab. It's only a 6, and I haven't gotten around the measuring it up, and not sure if that's common for 1970's or not.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:23 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Great story. Thanks for posting.