NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-30-2015, 04:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Q: Autograph Experts - photo/signature help.

I recently purchased a Brooks Robinson signed picture. When I received the picture it may be on the picture, or it may be copied. How can I tell? Is there anyone here an expert in knowing whether it's on the photo or copied, or do I need to send it to one of the authentication companies?

Any help would be great. If it's real, great; if not, I want to know.

Regards,

Mark
Old 01-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Richard Simon

Stand next to a strong light. Hold the photo under the light and "roll" it gently. The ink should literally "leap" off the page if it is actually signed.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-30-2015, 06:25 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson photo

Richard,

When I hold it under a strong light it reflects where the signature is located; is this what you mean? I don't see much of any indention on the photo though. Is this an issue? Thought there would be some type of pressure from signing.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Richard Simon

Is it signed in ball point or sharpie?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-31-2015, 06:00 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks

Attached is the item I'm talking about. It think it would be a ball point pen; definitely not a sharpie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks Robiby Auto.JPG (43.4 KB, 366 views)
Old 01-31-2015, 07:48 AM
Sean Sullivan

Default Brooks

You should get one of those cheap pocket microscopes. Under $20 on eBay, with the little light attached.
Using that, you can usually tell immediately if it is live ink or printed.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Jim M.arinari

Not Brooksies autograph
Old 01-31-2015, 04:01 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I agree with Jim.
I used to own this postcard. It is postmarked 1958, so it is a very early signature. While I think it looks a lot closer to this one, I still have doubts.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Authenticity aside, if it's ballpoint pen there will be some sort of indentation in the signature. If there is no impression made by the pen I'd lean towards preprint.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Andrew L@Vine

The photo looks to be a Jays Publishing photo which would have been late 50's/early 60's. I am not an expert on Robinson sigs, but my guess is that it is not a pre-print.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Mike Kaminski

If you have a good scanner, you can usually scan in close enough to see whether there is actually any indication of live ink.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:02 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

I see what Richard is talking about concerning getting the item in a strong light. I can see the light reflecting off of the signature separately from the picture portion and it kinda pops out at you.

Jim and Mark: Why do you believe that this is not a Brooks signature?
Old 02-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Jim M.arinari

I have never seen his "B" start with anything other than an upstroke. Same with the "R". Never open.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:14 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

You are correct, that is the typical way for Brooks to start both the "B" and the "R". Some of his early signatures he didn't do this and some of his later one's as well. I'll attach a relatively recent autograph where it's open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959 Gamer.jpg (19.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
You are correct, that is the typical way for Brooks to start both the "B" and the "R". Some of his early signatures he didn't do this and some of his later one's as well. I'll attach a relatively recent autograph where it's open.
I stand corrected. My first impression (after the open B) was that the rest, while consistent with Brooksie, looked too penmanship-class rigid.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

The letter formation for almost all letters, looks just like the 1958 GPC - too many difficult formations that match up. I think it's real, regardless of the 'B' and 'R'.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooksie

I've attached another early auto of Brooks (not mine...I was outbid;shoot!!). The letters are the same w/the exception of the "B", but notice the "R".

I really started the thread to make sure it wasn't a copy of his autograph; I thought the early signature was a gimme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 02-13-2015, 11:22 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Thanks!

I'm sorry; I forgot to thank all you guys for the responses. I truly appreciate all of the help. THANKS!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Bob Lemke

FWIW . . . that's not a Jay Publishing picture, more likely a team-issued photo.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I've attached another early auto of Brooks (not mine...I was outbid;shoot!!). The letters are the same w/the exception of the "B", but notice the "R".

I really started the thread to make sure it wasn't a copy of his autograph; I thought the early signature was a gimme.
Thanks for that Mark! I thought I had all I needed for him and you have added TWO variations that I wasn't aware of.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
FWIW . . . that's not a Jay Publishing picture, more likely a team-issued photo.
Bob,

That is correct. It is a team issued photo; slightly different size than the Jays. Also, on this one they spelled his middle name incorrectly (Colbert vs. Calbert). The team issued pin is spelled incorrectly as well, but the later years were changed when his middle name was included.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:34 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Thanks for that Mark! I thought I had all I needed for him and you have added TWO variations that I wasn't aware of.
Man! I keep loosing out when these autos come available. I don't need any more competition. . Oh, I think you were correct before; not a Brooksie autograph.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:38 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooksie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
The letter formation for almost all letters, looks just like the 1958 GPC - too many difficult formations that match up. I think it's real, regardless of the 'B' and 'R'.
Scott,

Thanks so much for giving me your view on the Brooks signed piece.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 02-14-2015 at 01:39 PM.