NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 12-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Jeff

Default Help from Gretzky signature experts...

Hi everyone,
Posting this for a friend of mine, I'll try and get some better photos but this is the best I have for now. He told me he was the high bidder when he won this at a charity auction some years ago, and that it was presented to him by Walter Gretzky himself. He asked about the Gretzky RC specifically. After I looked at his photo it was quite easy to tell it was not real.

He also said the stick was game used and signed by Gretzky himself. Don't know about the stick, but I've never seen a Gretzky signature like that, especially with a "99" after his name. I have a feeling this might be a fantasy piece. Thanks for the help guys!
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (18.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (14.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail2.jpg (18.5 KB, 105 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 12-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Anson

Tough to tell from the picture, but it definitely looks questionable. If you can get a better photo, it should be pretty easy to tell.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:55 PM

Doesn't look right to me at all.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Grant Rainsley

When Gretzky was with the Kings, playing in Vancouver, he gave me one of his Easton sticks, and signed the blade in similar fashion. The blade read

"To Grant, thanks for your help! Wayne Gretzky, 99"

I'll try to find the pic, but it might be a needle in a haystack situation!

Grant
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 12-06-2020, 03:56 PM
D@le Irv*n

Here is an encapsulated cut of Wayne's certified by PSA/DNA.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wayne-Gretzk...4383.l4275.c10

And a list of a whole bunch of others but there are likely some fakes mixed in with this as well?
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1280&bih=578
Old 12-07-2020, 05:46 PM

Default Gretzky

I checked with a friend of mine who works for Classic auctions and specializes in Gretzky memorabilia and autos. He said it was definitely a fake.

I have seen some of his early signatures and they were different, but still not like that.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:32 AM
Jeff

Thanks guys, figured it was a fake or a "fantasy" type piece. Got a close-up photo of the signature, also a shot of the Certificate Of Authenticity from "expert" Martin Ross at "Toronto Professional Inc." Can't even Google these guys, they no longer exist LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (59.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (76.6 KB, 74 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 12-08-2020 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Thanks guys, figured it was a fake or a "fantasy" type piece. Got a close-up photo of the signature, also a shot of the Certificate Of Authenticity from "expert" Martin Ross at "Toronto Professional Inc." Can't even Google these guys, they no longer exist LOL!
probably in jamaica drinking with the guy from the simpsons who built the monorail
Old 12-08-2020, 07:29 AM
Anson

Yup, no doubt on that one. Its too bad a bad the most optimistic way to view a scammer's forgery is a fantasy piece. I appreciate your positivity. I've been on the wrong end of a few fantasy pieces before.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:15 AM
D@le Irv*n

I have to get a pic of my friend's signed Bobby Orr stick so you guys can tell me if it is real or not?

My friend also won this in a similar type auction many years ago and is adamant that the signature is real.

IIRC, the stick is just signed Bobby Orr rather than "To John Doe", etc, which I heard was how Bobby Orr has signed things for quite a while now?
Old 12-10-2020, 12:36 AM
Bob Davies

Agree wholeheartedly, that signature does not look like anything from any era that Wayne signed. Bad as bad can be.
Bummer and sad good money was paid for that.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:24 AM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

The name on the certificate, Martin Ross, tells me it is not real. He does a lot of these charity and golf auctions. He was caught selling copies of autographed photos of guys like Curtis Joseph years ago. He has been around since the early 90s, used to run mall shows but seems to have gone rogue since getting into the auction business.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:12 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
The name on the certificate, Martin Ross, tells me it is not real. He does a lot of these charity and golf auctions. He was caught selling copies of autographed photos of guys like Curtis Joseph years ago. He has been around since the early 90s, used to run mall shows but seems to have gone rogue since getting into the auction business.
Good information Jim. It's been a while... I hope all is well with you.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:10 AM

So the certificate says that the accompanying item is authentic but doesn't state the item. You can pretty much apply it to anything if you want.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:35 PM
Grant Rainsley

Default Auto

Finally came up with that pic......scanned sideways, since I'm sure your are more interested in the writing than in my mug.

Sig on the other one looks different, and he signed this right in front of me, so I have no doubt about it, and also don't have a phony C of A.

Grant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gretzky.jpg (76.3 KB, 30 views)
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com