NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

My question for the OP is why you need to charge the 6k card. Couldn't you meet up with the person later by putting a $100 downpayment on it or something? If it is money from your checking account then meeting the dealer at a later date might be an option and I'm sure something they would do for a 6k purchase. I have personally delivered large ticket items for customers. If you are merely credit carding 6k then the risk of chargeback is legitimate and maybe why the dealer did not work with you. Sometimes cash talks and BS walks.

A lot of younger people wonder why people that have been in the business for a while do the way they do. Because they have been burnt in the past. Legal tender is cash and not a promise of cash in the future.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
My question for the OP is why you need to charge the 6k card. Couldn't you meet up with the person later by putting a $100 downpayment on it or something? If it is money from your checking account then meeting the dealer at a later date might be an option and I'm sure something they would do for a 6k purchase. I have personally delivered large ticket items for customers.
I don't need to charge anything, I do it out of convience. Just like I would if I'm going to buy anything over $50-$100 in a store. It's a PITA to get that much cash from an ATM (my bank has no branches where I'm currently located) and even then, it would take me a couple days to do it due to the daily limits. If I was dead-set on having the card, I would have changed the plans with my family and gone back home for my checkbook. Obviously I didn't want it that badly.

Quote:
If you are merely credit carding 6k then the risk of chargeback is legitimate and maybe why the dealer did not work with you. Sometimes cash talks and BS walks.
If that's his business model, great. I never complained about it, I only asked the forum if that's the norm at shows.

Quote:
A lot of younger people wonder why people that have been in the business for a while do the way they do. Because they have been burnt in the past. Legal tender is cash and not a promise of cash in the future.
I'm glad most of the world has evolved, I'd hate to have to carry around a pocket of gold nuggets and a scale.

Last edited by Justus; 04-11-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Justin

This has been an interesting topic for me as I travel quite a bit. This weekend I'll be in Cleveland and am going to try to swing by the Ohio Sports Collectors Convention. With daily ATM limits it can be tough to decide just how much cash to take, especially when out of town.

On similar note, last summer I went to a show in Phoenix and had about 5k on me. There were two dealers that had items I wanted to purchase, but they would not give me the time of day. It almost became a weird social experiment to see how long I could be ignored.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 04-11-2016, 01:10 PM

Default card purchase

Bring cash.

Chalk this up as lesson learned.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:18 PM

Default Card Show Payments

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Bring cash.

Chalk this up as lesson learned.
Remember that comment for this weekend at Shriners!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Remember that comment for this weekend at Shriners!
Cash is always king but in today's world Paypal and other apps can be used most times. I will take anything but don't take credit cards......however, I think someone could pay with a cc through paypal if they wanted to.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 AM

Default Vintage Clout...

I will see you at the show. I will bring my man purse. Bring some great stuff to sell...
Old 04-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Cash is always king but in today's world Paypal and other apps can be used most times. I will take anything but don't take credit cards......however, I think someone could pay with a cc through paypal if they wanted to.

If you have a Paypal merchant account you can get a swipe attachment to your phone that will accept almost any type of credit card.

I had Paypal send me one just in case, for the once in a great while show I might set up at but it hasn't come into play.

Like others I don't carry a smart phone with me. Don't generally have a purpose for it, so I'm not going to incur the monthly bill for a data plan. My wife and kid have Iphones, but I never had a need. One time it might have come into play for me I brought my Fire Tablet hoping I could connect through an available WiFi connection, but no luck. LOL!

If I had a habit doing shows on a regular basis, I would probably figure it out.

I have on occasion taken customers CC information, given them product if I feel comfortable with them, and the processed the transaction once I got home. I've also given stuff to people I know, and then just sent them a Paypal invoice when I get home.

One advantage everybody has to keep in mind with cash. With Card Dealers, just like with contractors, mechanics or anybody else that doesn't work out of a big box store......you are much more likely to negotiate a better discount for yourself if you are paying with cash.

I deal in mostly lower end stuff, so I know if I'm at a show and I have something priced at 15 bucks and some guy comes and throws down a credit card in front of me and says, "I'll give you 10 bucks for that", I'm not going to waste my time and money processing a credit card payment for this guy............if you put 10 bucks cash in front of me, there's a pretty good chance I'm going to take it. Hell, I'd even take a check as eventually I'd make my way to the bank for something else anyways.

Larger amounts, yes I'd certainly go through the trouble, but you're not going to get as good a deal, that's for sure.