NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-23-2024, 08:33 PM

Default Group shot

And here is a group shot (the FedEx driver just dropped off the new slab).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3MB.jpg (190.5 KB, 440 views)
Old 02-03-2024, 08:20 PM

Is the tinting on all 3 exactly the same or are you able to notice any small differences?
Old 02-04-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
Is the tinting on all 3 exactly the same or are you able to notice any small differences?
The tinting on the three signs looks the same to me. If you PM me your personal email address I can scan the three cards at once and send you the scan(s).

Steve
Old 02-04-2024, 06:16 PM

Here are close ups of the signs on my 3 clear cards.

Last edited by steve5838; 03-26-2024 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:42 PM

Default One last one of the three

Deleted

Last edited by steve5838; 03-26-2024 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:26 PM

Default Valuation

A bunch of people have asked privately for my valuation on the clear cards. I really don't know. If you've followed this thread long enough you know I haven't won any of these in competitive auctions. Without this guide point I don't think anyone can be sure of true market value with any certainty. The best I have to go by is prices I've paid and prices of other 80/90s chase cards with similar rarity. It is my favorite card, but I've come around to what some others here have suggested, that I don't need to hoard 3 of these - and will probably list the PSA6 at some point. I haven't decided if it will be an auction or BIN but would fund another of my (rare junk wax) chase cards that I can't otherwise afford.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:52 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve5838 View Post
A bunch of people have asked privately for my valuation on the clear cards. I really don't know. If you've followed this thread long enough you know I haven't won any of these in competitive auctions. Without this guide point I don't think anyone can be sure of true market value with any certainty. The best I have to go by is prices I've paid and prices of other 80/90s chase cards with similar rarity. It is my favorite card, but I've come around to what some others here have suggested, that I don't need to hoard 3 of these - and will probably list the PSA6 at some point. I haven't decided if it will be an auction or BIN but would fund another of my (rare junk wax) chase cards that I can't otherwise afford.
If/when you actually list it for sale please let us know. What is the other junk wax card(s) you are interested in?
Old 02-26-2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If/when you actually list it for sale please let us know. What is the other junk wax card(s) you are interested in?
I will definitely do that.

Last edited by steve5838; 03-26-2024 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:59 AM

Deleted

Last edited by steve5838; 03-26-2024 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:38 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Ben, you got me thinking. Sticking with the topic of this thread I am also a big fan of the aquamarine tint version of this card. My guess is it is similar rarity (I'm only aware of the ones held by Kevin, Hatorade, and me -- but believe there are more out there). I would also trade the PSA6 clear for two PSA graded aquamarine tint cards (as long as at least one is a PSA9). I have been trying to get all the less obscured versions in PSA9 holders so a trade like this would help fill that gap.
LOL, As a hoarder I get it. So you want to trade a rare card you have more than one of for another card you already have?

I have a friend that done something similar but had to give up on picking the grade and just went with PSA graded versions. When there are 5 or less known copies getting one in a specific grade isn't really realistic most of the time.

Wish I still had my aquamarine to trade you.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:09 PM
Ben North

Not the best pic but all I have for now. I just bought this one and can't wait for it to arrive. It is hard to tell from this pic but it is the dark blue version. Not sure how many are out there but I haven't seen many.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Randy-Johnson.jpg (52.5 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg Randy-Johnson-(Black-Box-on-Billboard).jpg (53.0 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 03-06-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Not the best pic but all I have for now. I just bought this one and can't wait for it to arrive. It is hard to tell from this pic but it is the dark blue version. Not sure how many are out there but I haven't seen many.
Awesome pickup, Ben! Congratulations!
Old 03-07-2024, 04:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Awesome pickup, Ben! Congratulations!
Thank you, I am so excited to get this card. Got tracking # this morning and confirmation USPS received it at 1pm with expected delivery on Monday. I even signed up for email and text alerts for it.

On another 89 Fleer note I picked up a No Dot Wade Boggs this morning for $4 delivered.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Thank you, I am so excited to get this card. Got tracking # this morning and confirmation USPS received it at 1pm with expected delivery on Monday. I even signed up for email and text alerts for it.

On another 89 Fleer note I picked up a No Dot Wade Boggs this morning for $4 delivered.
Randy was 110 miles and one sorting facility away on Saturday. Then he decided he needed a several hundred mile out of the way vacation to St Louis this weekend before he returned to that same sorting facility today. Hopefully he is done with the detours/vacations and arrives tomorrow.

EDIT: I got alerted it just arrived in the town I live in.

Last edited by bnorth; 03-11-2024 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:50 AM
Ben North

Just arrived. I believe it is the 3rd known dark blue/purplish version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue1.jpg (131.8 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg blue2.jpg (45.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg blue3.jpg (55.9 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg blue4.jpg (152.8 KB, 238 views)
Old 03-19-2024, 05:13 PM

Default Listed

Quote:
In case anyone is interested I just listed the PSA6 clear one at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30546308651...mis&media=COPY
Old 03-19-2024, 05:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
In case anyone is interested I just listed the PSA6 clear one at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30546308651...mis&media=COPY
That is an amazing card. Good luck with the sale.

Last edited by bnorth; 03-21-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:29 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
+1

Any chance we can change the title of this thread to reflect that is now 35 years?
Old 03-24-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ben!

Steve

Last edited by steve5838; 03-25-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

Just dropping in to introduce myself. My name is Brian and I collect all rare things Junk Wax Era. Past projects are 89 Fleer Ripken, 90 Topps Partial Blackless, 91 Topps Desert Shield and most recently early 90s UD Heros Autographs.

I recently started collecting the Marlboro Johnson. I picked up a few nice additions from Steve (including the Clear PSA 6).

I have spent hours combing through the material on this thread. Honestly, it reminds me a bit of the Partial Blackless thread on CU. I appreciate all the time and effort you all have taken to put this information together so a newbie like myself can get up to speed faster.

Looking forward to learning more. Thanks again for putting this together.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltlbvr View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just dropping in to introduce myself. My name is Brian and I collect all rare things Junk Wax Era. Past projects are 89 Fleer Ripken, 90 Topps Partial Blackless, 91 Topps Desert Shield and most recently early 90s UD Heros Autographs.

I recently started collecting the Marlboro Johnson. I picked up a few nice additions from Steve (including the Clear PSA 6).

I have spent hours combing through the material on this thread. Honestly, it reminds me a bit of the Partial Blackless thread on CU. I appreciate all the time and effort you all have taken to put this information together so a newbie like myself can get up to speed faster.

Hi Brian, looks like you have been a member for some time. You need to stop by more often. I post a lot of worthless junk but occasionally post something worth reading.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
How’d you know from these pics what the card was? Are there indicators on the card other than the board? Or when combined with the board gives it a higher probability?
Old 03-31-2024, 07:40 PM
Ben North

Quote:
How’d you know from these pics what the card was? Are there indicators on the card other than the board? Or when combined with the board gives it a higher probability?
Just from seeing and owning a boat load of Johnson error cards and I have had one of that version in hand before. Plus I get lucky and find rare stuff on occasion.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the club! You’re an official card carrying member with that clear card. What other 1989 Fleer Marlboro versions do you have?
Old 04-02-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the thread Brian. There are some really knowledgeable folks here who I've learned a ton from. Enjoy the ride down the rabbit hole of this card! Steve
Old 04-13-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the club! You’re an official card carrying member with that clear card. What other 1989 Fleer Marlboro versions do you have?
I’ve got a clear, aqua, light blue box/stencil, and quite a few red / green / fish / red negatives . . .

I do not have a dark blue, so if you know of one . . .
Old 04-13-2024, 02:47 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I’ve got a clear, aqua, light blue box/stencil, and quite a few red / green / fish / red negatives . . .

I do not have a dark blue, so if you know of one . . .
Awesome, do you have all 3 of the green scribble versions? I recently sold a dark blue. If I find anything new I will email you.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Awesome, do you have all 3 of the green scribble versions? I recently sold a dark blue. If I find anything new I will email you.
I may not. Post them here and I'll compare what I've got. I know I have 2 different . . . not sure about 3 . . .
Old 04-13-2024, 05:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I may not. Post them here and I'll compare what I've got. I know I have 2 different . . . not sure about 3 . . .
Post #324 in this thread has decent pics. From top to bottom.

Top:This has a bar through the word with the tops of the l & b visible. Back before Covid when the green scribble was still insanely rare this one took me a couple years to track down.

Bottom:This is more of a blob that covers the entire word.

Middle:This one is a combination of the two. It is the blob but also has the darker bar visible.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Post #324 in this thread has decent pics. From top to bottom.

Top:This has a bar through the word with the tops of the l & b visible. Back before Covid when the green scribble was still insanely rare this one took me a couple years to track down.

Bottom:This is more of a blob that covers the entire word.

Middle:This one is a combination of the two. It is the blob but also has the darker bar visible.

My focus hasn't been on the more obscured versions so I am still learning. I'm curious how would you classify this one currently for sale on eBay? It seems to be a scribble version but there seems to be an extra layer of tint? I pasted a picture from the PSA scan below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240415_213911.jpg (84.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240415_213729_eBay.jpg (202.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by steve5838; 04-15-2024 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:39 PM

That is a medium to dark fish with red circle. When the fish with red circle lineage gets towards the middle to darker end of the spectrum they all have that same dot towards the head of the fish. I’ve included the link from post #75 below. The last 13 or so cards in the album all have the same dot and range in the amount of green tint over them. It’s tough to tell exactly but the card you posted appears to be more toward the darkest or most tinted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjmarl...57675341931257
Old 04-16-2024, 07:04 AM

Quote:
That is a medium to dark fish with red circle. When the fish with red circle lineage gets towards the middle to darker end of the spectrum they all have that same dot towards the head of the fish. I’ve included the link from post #75 below. The last 13 or so cards in the album all have the same dot and range in the amount of green tint over them. It’s tough to tell exactly but the card you posted appears to be more toward the darkest or most tinted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjmarl...57675341931257
This is very helpful. I really like the progression/ordering of images in your album. Thank you!

Tags
1980's, 1989 fleer, error cards, randy johnson, variations