NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-03-2014, 01:22 PM
David Ros.enberg

Default Heritage is...!

Lot 81010

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/19...a/7120-81010.s

''NOTE: This is a legitimate 30-card cello and not a fabricated 10-card "grocery" cello pack.''

and the next lot in the auction...

Lot 81011

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/19...a/7120-81011.s

''Great potential pay off if you have the nerve.''

Last edited by DJR; 02-22-2024 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:19 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I lol'd
Old 11-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Ben North

That is funny. The guy at Heritage who wrote the descriptions will get a talking to about outing the grocery pack as fake.

The sad part is grading a fake pack wasn't even the worst thing GAI done that day. Anybody that buys their garbage gets what they deserve.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Sorry, I need background info. What are the specific problems here?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Sorry, I need background info. What are the specific problems here?
In lot 81010 The description says the Grocery packs are fake.
Lot 81011 Is a Grocery pack.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:42 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
In lot 81010 The description says the Grocery packs are fake.
Lot 81011 Is a Grocery pack.

I too am confused on what the problem is. Lot 81010 does not say the Grocery packs are fake. It says they were fabricated. When I read that I thought it meant they weren't distributed by topps, but rather made by a third party around the time for distribution in a Grocery store, similar to Christmas Rack packs.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I too am confused on what the problem is. Lot 81010 does not say the Grocery packs are fake. It says they were fabricated. When I read that I thought it meant they weren't distributed by topps, but rather made by a third party around the time for distribution in a Grocery store, similar to Christmas Rack packs.
fab·ri·cate
/ˈfabrəˌkāt/
verb
past tense: fabricated; past participle: fabricated
invent or concoct (something), typically with deceitful intent.
"officers fabricated evidence"
synonyms: falsify, fake, counterfeit, cook;

Google Topps Grocery cello pack. Plenty of sources saying they are fake, not a single one saying they are a real Topps product.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Anthøny N. ex

tons of legit GAI slabbed packs out there, but when Ryan Rutter took over pack grading he slabbed a bunch of grocery cellos that were created by someone other than Topps, long after the date of issue- and probably just a few weeks before they were authenticated.
Many of these popped up being offered by one ebay seller in PA that ended up being shut down for fraud, IIRC. In any case there are no legit grocery cellos from that era, slabbed or not.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
fab·ri·cate
/ˈfabrəˌkāt/
verb
past tense: fabricated; past participle: fabricated
invent or concoct (something), typically with deceitful intent.
"officers fabricated evidence"
synonyms: falsify, fake, counterfeit, cook;

Google Topps Grocery cello pack. Plenty of sources saying they are fake, not a single one saying they are a real Topps product.
HAHA. You did not get that without reading all the definitions and picking out the one that best suited your argument.

That is one possible definition. There is also:

" construct, manufacture; specifically : to construct from diverse and usually standardized parts".

I will accept that there aren't any legit packs from 1971 that were fabricated by grocery stores, thus the "grocery" pack is a fake. Yet for us that don't know anything about packs there was nothing so telling in the two descriptions to lead to that conclusion.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:25 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Isn't it to be inferred in the first description that by calling the first pack "legitimate" that the grocery packs would then be illegitimate and suggest the definition of fabricate that implies impropriety?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
HAHA. You did not get that without reading all the definitions and picking out the one that best suited your argument.

That is one possible definition. There is also:

" construct, manufacture; specifically : to construct from diverse and usually standardized parts".

I will accept that there aren't any legit packs from 1971 that were fabricated by grocery stores, thus the "grocery" pack is a fake. Yet for us that don't know anything about packs there was nothing so telling in the two descriptions to lead to that conclusion.
No, actually it was the first one that popped up on google.

EDIT to copy/paste full description from lot 81010
1971 Topps Baseball Cello Pack GAI NM-MT 8 With Torre on Front. NOTE: This is a legitimate 30-card cello and not a fabricated 10-card "grocery" cello pack.

Offered is an unopened 1971 Topps Baseball Cello Pack graded GAI NM-MT 8. Based on top/bottom cards, this is a 3rd Series cello with the potential for a Mint or Gem MT card of Morgan. Foster RC, Jenkins, Brooks Robinson, Marichal, World Series cards, B. Williams, Rollie Fingers and Ted Williams. Guide Value or Estimate: $500 - up.

Last edited by bnorth; 11-04-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Ben North

We all make mistakes. It is what we do afterwards that lets people know what kind of person/business we are. I sent Heritage a message informing them about their mistake, lets see what they do.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Al Richter

Default Learning

I have been married 40 years and my wife says I am a very slow learner in regard to my mistakes
Old 11-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Tom Boblitt

Maybe she's just a showoff.....that is, learning so quickly from hers.......
Old 11-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have been married 40 years and my wife says I am a very slow learner in regard to my mistakes
My wife of 16 years says the same thing about me.

I figured instead of just complaining, alerting the auction company to this mistake was a better route. Even though I will still complain about it.LOL
Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Peter Calderon

Default This was my fault.

The “Grocery Cello” pack has been removed from the auction. Our catalog auctions are produced over several months with different catalogers writing lots and I simply missed this one during catalog production. I am only human and I do (will) make mistakes, but I promise to try to keep them to a bare minimum. Thank you to the two people who had the courtesy to contact Heritage directly about this asking for an explanation and did not take the opportunity to jump to conclusions.