NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-13-2020, 12:16 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default How much of a role do you view Happy Chandler as having in Integration?

I was wondering how people viewed Happy Chandler's role in baseball integrating (and if anyone had any interesting article, books or references on the subject they could point me to).

Some background: I collect items related to baseball's integration. For me that's meant items connected to player's like Jackie, Campanella, Doby etc from the beginning of their career through their rookie season, along with items connected to the 40's barnstorming tours etc.

A couple of years back I picked up Happy Chandler's contract as commissioner of baseball. Chandler obviously was commissioner when Jackie signed and broke the color barrier, and was supportive of Robinson. Certainly, integration would have been much less likely under Landis.

Trying to decide whether to keep the contract or move it and pick up something more connected to the players. It's definitely one of the more expensive items in my collection, so the funds could go towards other items that might be "closer" to the idea of my collection.

Would love any thoughts, articles etc. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2020, 02:21 PM
M@rk Lu7z

well, after thinking about it, I'd say "wow"
Old 04-13-2020, 03:28 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Now THAT is an amazing piece. Please, if you must sell it just don't let it land in the hands of a card company who will chop it up for the signatures.

I just don't think WOW. or Amazing or any other word adequately describes the uniqueness eye appeal of this item.

What is the back story? Where did you find this piece?
Old 04-13-2020, 06:48 PM
qualitycards

Jeff That's fantastic! A keeper!
Old 04-13-2020, 09:49 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
well, after thinking about it, I'd say "wow"
Thanks! I felt the same way when I saw it the first time. Still think it is super cool, but as it is one of the more expensive pieces in my collection, I'm torn on whether to take then money it might sell for and use it towards something that may be a more natural fit. Trying to get a feel for the role Chandler played in making a decision on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Now THAT is an amazing piece. Please, if you must sell it just don't let it land in the hands of a card company who will chop it up for the signatures.

I just don't think WOW. or Amazing or any other word adequately describes the uniqueness eye appeal of this item.

What is the back story? Where did you find this piece?
Thanks! Thankfully (I guess) it cost me more than the individual autographs would go for, so I don't think the card companies would have any interest. They look for the sloppiest, messiest pieces that they can get cheap.

Don't have a ton of backstory on it. Bought it at auction a couple of years back. It s the Yankees copies and comes with the letter that was sent to the Yankees noting that it is their copy of the contract. (I assume every party got one so there may be other still floating around though I haven't found another in auction archives when I looked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Jeff That's fantastic! A keeper!
I appreciate that!

With a limited budget and so many items out there I would love to acquire, I think I need to decide whether it fits the personal collection enough to not move it and use the money for items that may be a closer fit. Been wanting to pick up a Jackie Robinson Minor League Debut ticket (the MLB one is out of my price range) and potentially a few other pieces, and this would help. At the same time, I want to include a wider lens in my integration collection and so Chandler may fit. Gotta do some more research on his role.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:40 PM
Phil Nap

Default Chandler

I wrote him when I was a kid and asked about his role. His handwriting is a little rough with a sharpie.

"I made the Jackie Robinson (decision) in my career here in 1947 -It broke the color line-"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chandler-ab-3x5.JPG (22.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by PhilNap; 04-14-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:43 PM
Phil Nap

Default Sukeforth

I also asked Clyde Sukeforth about his role.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sukeforth-3x5.JPG (30.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg sukeforth-3x5-back.JPG (49.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:01 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNap View Post
I wrote him when I was a kid and asked about his role. His handwriting is a little rough with a sharpie.

"I made the Jackie Robinson (decision) in my career here in 1947 -It broke the color barrier-"
This (and the Sukeforth one) are outstanding! I think it may be time to pick up his autobiography. I know it's his personal perspective, but should have more info on the topic.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 04-14-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Tags
contract, happy chandler, integration, jackie robinson