NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
I do not watch sports. I have no interest in sports or their history. I can go so far to say as the Fergie Jenkins game I have a thread open for (BTW 7 free slots still available - COMPLETELY free, drop me a line if you want to attend) will be the first game I ever go to. I really couldn't care less to be honest. I hope you appreciate the candor.
I don't know how you could pick vintage baseball cards to make your living and not have any appreciation for baseball history. I don't believe I've ever met anyone in this hobby who thinks like that.

And not sure what you're talking about in regards to Fergie Jenkins, but I am heading up to Canada for the American Association All Star game in a couple of weeks (I actually love baseball that much) and will be having lunch with Mr Jenkins.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 07-17-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I don't know how you could pick vintage baseball cards to make your living and not have any appreciation for baseball history. I don't believe I've ever met anyone in this hobby who thinks like that.

And not sure what you're talking about in regards to Fergie Jenkins, but I am heading up to Canada for the American Association All Star game in a couple of weeks (I actually love baseball that much) and will be having lunch with Mr Jenkins.
I have a box suite at Wrigley /w Fergie and have a standing offer for 7 more people to come free of charge (dinner and desert included) [Aug 11th]
Old 07-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
I have a box suite at Wrigley /w Fergie and have a standing offer for 7 more people to come free of charge (dinner and desert included) [Aug 11th]
That's a nice offer Sean, makes me wish I lived up that way.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 07-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
That's a nice offer Sean, makes me wish I lived up that way.
+1 - thanks Sean - wish I could do it.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Agreed. There's something Sean isn't telling us, but that's his business. I believe him when he says he has no passion or interest for sports, but I completely disagree with the statement that was quoted earlier. The passions helps, not hinders. The exception would be if you have self-control problems and use your capital to buy personal items, but that is true of anything in life for people with such problems. Granted, such a person, if they could not get a grip on their problems, should probably find a different business - one that doesn't involve handling money.

Also, most of the time alcoholics make bad bartenders.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:10 PM
J@son M1ller

If you have no love for the hobby then this post is purely a marketing move whether these particular cards are for sale or not.

From my point of view, this forum is best when it is collectors talking to each other about their passion. Business is fine but on the main page?

Edited to add: the sportscard show below has yet to make a profit so please don't fire back at me for advertising it. If I wanted to make money, I certainly wouldn't be doing a card show!

Last edited by Jaybird; 07-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:14 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
+1 - thanks Sean - wish I could do it.
+2...Nice cards Sean...Also, I have had great transactions with him on high end T206s....
Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

It's funny how circumstances sometimes just kind of work themselves out.

Last edited by JasonD08; 07-17-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Chris P.

In reading the statement from Sean's site I think it is rather genius. You have to realize the site is for buying, not selling. We can all find buyers for our vintage cards, what we can't find is sellers who will sell fresh, unknown finds in bulk at wholesale prices. By separating emotional value and investment value he helps his seller be a seller. Rather than saying your gramps left you a lifetime of baseball passion he is saying your gramps left you XX dollars, would you like it now? As most of us on here are passionate and collectors we look at the words and are almost offended. From a business point of view the words soften the emotional blow by taking the passion our of it.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veleno45 View Post
In reading the statement from Sean's site I think it is rather genius. You have to realize the site is for buying, not selling. We can all find buyers for our vintage cards, what we can't find is sellers who will sell fresh, unknown finds in bulk at wholesale prices. By separating emotional value and investment value he helps his seller be a seller. Rather than saying your gramps left you a lifetime of baseball passion he is saying your gramps left you XX dollars, would you like it now? As most of us on here are passionate and collectors we look at the words and are almost offended. From a business point of view the words soften the emotional blow by taking the passion our of it.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by veleno45 View Post
So very well said.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:35 AM
pete ullman

In light of all of the evidence in this thread...I don't see how this thread can be considered anything but a grand marketing scheme for the eventual sale of these cards...which I thought was frowned upon in this section of the board.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:53 AM
Robert J. Miller

Awesome Cards! That Carrigan is only the second one (next to mine) that I have seen.
Robert
Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
In light of all of the evidence in this thread...I don't see how this thread can be considered anything but a grand marketing scheme for the eventual sale of these cards...which I thought was frowned upon in this section of the board.
These cards will never be for sale.

Better?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Clayton

Johnny picked out the cream of the crop-this is right up his alley

Notables I liked:

4-eyed Adkins

Turner/Lobert Double name

Bowerman/Chance Double name

Karger ghost

Bescher ghost

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 07-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
These cards will never be for sale.
That's a very strong statement. Congrats on the great pick ups!!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
That's a very strong statement. Congrats on the great pick ups!!
He should have maybe said that they will never be for sale from himself, which is the issue that is being questioned. Who can say what our buyers of our cards will do with them? This wasn't a marketing thread for those cards.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He should have maybe said that they will never be for sale from himself, which is the issue that is being questioned. Who can say what our buyers of our cards will do with them? This wasn't a marketing thread for those cards.
If someone else is selling them, or if he already has sold them, then the words are form over substance in the context of what seems to be the concern people have expressed in this thread. But that said, I don't see why it matters if he selling or sold them or not?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Tags
baseball, buy, cards, sell, sell baseball cards