NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-12-2020, 07:26 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Default Tendencies of starting new sets

I am starting to see a pattern in my collecting. I hunt down bigger cards of interest, and these cards are typically the primary cards of their respective sets. Then something happens in my mind, that starts making me justify building the set. It’s first happened when I bought a 52T Mays. I initially just had interest in the main 52T cards (Mays, Mantle, Robinson, Mathews), but that turned into building a low number set. Now 6 cards away from a low number set, I’m now building a master low number set and high numbers. 80% in, so why stop right haha?

This same thing happened after getting a 54T Aaron, which I’m now most of the way into the 54T set. Now the latest occurrence, bought a Leaf Robinson last week and already justifying pieces to this set. I think I have an addiction
Old 11-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Al Richter

Bill-- I have had the set addiction on and off, mostly on, since 1957. There are 12 step programs for almost all addictions, maybe set building too

What will be included in your 52 low number master set ?
Old 11-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

That's a much better way of going after sets than what most of us do.

Buy a bunch of cards from a set, realize I'm maybe 1/3 of the way there, or just like the set, and consider going after the rest. Which very quickly becomes just needing the expensive cards, and now they're way out of reach.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Buy a bunch of cards from a set, realize I'm maybe 1/3 of the way there, or just like the set, and consider going after the rest. Which very quickly becomes just needing the expensive cards, and now they're way out of reach.

This totally sums up my last 35 years of card collecting. Like a set, buy a bunch of commons and then get stuck on the superstars. I'm in the middle of doing it again with 1963 but at least have some of the big ones (not Rose, though) from a long time ago.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:24 PM
Emlily Ell.is

You must know me. Or at least my collection habits. Happening right now on my 57 set. I've got over half the set, most of which are commons/lower tier stars. Don't have but a handful of the tougher 3rd (or 4th, can't remember exactly) series and just a couple of stars (Maz RC, Colavito RC, Martin, Spahn, etc.).

Debating on just selling my entire starter lot minus the stars and just picking up stars I like. I've never dealt in graded, but I'm thinking of picking up a few graded HOFers/stars I like from the 1950s/1960s just to add more quality to my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Old 11-12-2020, 11:00 AM

Most of the time I go into it with the intentions of completing the set. However, there have been a couple of exceptions. When I first started going to shows one of the main dealers I bought from got a nice high grade collection of t206s. Mostly he just dealt in Topps and Bowman. He talked me into buying two, a Matty and Speaker. I ended up putting the set together.

The second time was when I got married, I talked my wife into picking a set to collect. She decided on t205s. She was so picky on condition, I didn't think we would ever finish the set. Fast forward many years and I saw a PSA 6 Cobb at auction. I ended up putting a max bid in on the card and winning it. After getting the key card, I decided to finish off the set.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Al Richter

rats--does your wife generally follow or participate in your collecting ? I find it fascinating she picked t 205s. What other sets did she consider and what were deciding factors ?
Old 11-12-2020, 12:01 PM

She definitely follows my collecting, especially larger purchases. I pretty much self fund my collection by selling off things I no longer want. However, she is very interested and encouraging in my activities. I think it stems from when we first got married. I got the down payment on our first house from selling cards. She understands that cards are good investments and something we can tap into if we need quick cash.

We used to go to shows together. So I encouraged her to collect things for herself rather than just watch me. I had all the Topps and Bowman sets including many odd ball Topps sets, t206, 33 Goudey and 41 Play Ball. So, that didn't leave her much to choose from and pretty much just Prewar. The only other set she expressed interest in was the 38 Goudey. She bought a DiMaggio after meeting him and getting his autograph.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Steve

Default Rats 60

Wow, you're fortunate to have such a considerate and cooperative spouse...but I guess my impression is formed mostly from personal experience.::
Old 11-12-2020, 05:41 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Most of the time I go into it with the intentions of completing the set. However, there have been a couple of exceptions. When I first started going to shows one of the main dealers I bought from got a nice high grade collection of t206s. Mostly he just dealt in Topps and Bowman. He talked me into buying two, a Matty and Speaker. I ended up putting the set together.

The second time was when I got married, I talked my wife into picking a set to collect. She decided on t205s. She was so picky on condition, I didn't think we would ever finish the set. Fast forward many years and I saw a PSA 6 Cobb at auction. I ended up putting a max bid in on the card and winning it. After getting the key card, I decided to finish off the set.
I’ve yet to dive into T206s, as I’m scared I’m going to lose control goin for that set. But, I do want the 4 Cobb cards, with the intent of stopping with those.

I’m jealous that you also have your wife collecting. My wife likely thinks I’m an idiot for some of my purchases.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Bill-- I have had the set addiction on and off, mostly on, since 1957. There are 12 step programs for almost all addictions, maybe set building too

What will be included in your 52 low number master set ?
It is truly an addiction. I even go into some of these purchases telling myself the limits. Then I start scrolling the forums and eBay, and just can’t pass good finds.

Regarding my 52 set, I will have red/black backs, color/print variations, and errors, but not chasing the grey backs. I’m about 40 cards away in total, including the Sain error card