NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-10-2020, 11:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Wondrous Tales of Price Differential...

I'll leave this here without comment...

kalinescreener.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:17 AM

I think the 6000 dollar Kaline has better gloss.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Today, the differential grows even wider...

kalinescreener2.jpg

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 04-11-2020, 07:55 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I thiink

they misplaced a decimal point
Old 04-11-2020, 11:02 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
they misplaced a decimal point
..or two
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-15-2020, 10:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

...and many days later, the card remains unchanged in price...

Casey Stengel

Old 11-10-2020, 03:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I just had to bump this old thread, because glory be!!!! The seller has cut his opening bid by a whopping two thirds. Of course, that is still over 2,000 times as much as the card listed immediately above it in the ebay search...

kalinekelloggscomp.jpg

Casey Stengel

Old 11-10-2020, 04:57 PM
D.an Jackso.n

I didn’t think Dean’s Cards discounted that heavily.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:08 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I just had to bump this old thread, because glory be!!!! The seller has cut his opening bid by a whopping two thirds. Of course, that is still over 2,000 times as much as the card listed immediately above it in the ebay search...

Attachment 425425

What a deal! Because it's not how much you spend, it's how much you save!
Old 11-10-2020, 06:09 PM
J@mes In.gram

This kind of stuff has been going on since the inception of eBay. Here is a story, and every word true. I feel that I might be responsible for an eBay policy change. Some years back before I retired from the Navy, I watched several bidders go into a feeding frenzy over a book I owned, entitled "Battle Report - Pearl Harbor to the Coral Sea", which I bought for something like $10 in mint condition with dust jacket. It was and still is a common and available book. These people finally concluded bidding at $610. I contacted the runner-up bidder, and via PM's, he aggressively stated he wanted my book. When I asked what price, he said, well, since the eBay bidding went to $610, how about $600? I agreed, and sure enough, he sent a cashier's check in that amount. I could not in clear conscience cash that check. I returned the check, and the book, to him along with a letter stating the facts about this book, it's true value, and a request for the $10 I paid for the book. The lesson learned here is an old one, a fool and his money are soon parted. They are surely out there, and unscrupulous sellers on eBay only hope they come along. More often than not, they do.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:56 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Whoa!!!! Spoke way too soon. He has now suddenly increased his new 'steal of an opening bid' price by 75 freaking percent...

kalinekelloggscomp2.jpg

Casey Stengel

Old 11-12-2020, 08:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
This kind of stuff has been going on since the inception of eBay. Here is a story, and every word true. I feel that I might be responsible for an eBay policy change. Some years back before I retired from the Navy, I watched several bidders go into a feeding frenzy over a book I owned, entitled "Battle Report - Pearl Harbor to the Coral Sea", which I bought for something like $10 in mint condition with dust jacket. It was and still is a common and available book. These people finally concluded bidding at $610. I contacted the runner-up bidder, and via PM's, he aggressively stated he wanted my book. When I asked what price, he said, well, since the eBay bidding went to $610, how about $600? I agreed, and sure enough, he sent a cashier's check in that amount. I could not in clear conscience cash that check. I returned the check, and the book, to him along with a letter stating the facts about this book, it's true value, and a request for the $10 I paid for the book. The lesson learned here is an old one, a fool and his money are soon parted. They are surely out there, and unscrupulous sellers on eBay only hope they come along. More often than not, they do.
So did you sell one book or 2?

Back in the day when eBay was new people like me did cause new eBay rules. I had many multiples of cards that were considered rare at the time. I would list them at the lowest price I would sell a card for. Then message every bidder and offer them another but same card for their high bid. So from one listing I could easily sell several cards and only pay eBay fees on one card.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:34 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Whoa!!!! Spoke way too soon. He has now suddenly increased his new 'steal of an opening bid' price by 75 freaking percent...

Attachment 425758
Most be Amazon bots controlling pricing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
So did you sell one book or 2?

Back in the day when eBay was new people like me did cause new eBay rules. I had many multiples of cards that were considered rare at the time. I would list them at the lowest price I would sell a card for. Then message every bidder and offer them another but same card for their high bid. So from one listing I could easily sell several cards and only pay eBay fees on one card.
This is how I built my 2001 bowman heritage set. I would contact bidders of heritage lots, while bidding was occurring, and request buying duplicates or trading. It worked out great for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-13-2020, 08:08 AM
J@mes In.gram

No just the one book. I just couldn't believe how these folks went so nuts over a common book someone was selling. Yes, a $10 book went for $610 when the dust settled. So I got hold of the 2nd place bidder behind the scenes and sold mine for $600. My conscience and my wife guilted me into returning his $600 cashier's check and finally selling him the book for $10. But I proved my point that people will buy anything, including baseball cards. I can't tell you the number of fake cards that came into my nephew by marriage's stamps, coins and cards shop back in the 1990s. This is how I learned to authenticate them. Once you learn, the fakes stand out like sore thumbs, even in lo-res eBay auction photos.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:11 AM
J@mes In.gram

And yes, you can name your price, and someone with more money than common sense will come along. Just have some patience...
Old 11-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
No just the one book. I just couldn't believe how these folks went so nuts over a common book someone was selling. Yes, a $10 book went for $610 when the dust settled. So I got hold of the 2nd place bidder behind the scenes and sold mine for $600. My conscience and my wife guilted me into returning his $600 cashier's check and finally selling him the book for $10. But I proved my point that people will buy anything, including baseball cards. I can't tell you the number of fake cards that came into my nephew by marriage's stamps, coins and cards shop back in the 1990s. This is how I learned to authenticate them. Once you learn, the fakes stand out like sore thumbs, even in lo-res eBay auction photos.
I misunderstood your original post. I thought the original listing was also yours. WOW has eBay changed over the years. In the late 90s when eBay was getting more popular. You would watch for cards that sell for good prices but still were considered rare. Then run a quick 3 day auction that ended before the other sellers listing. You would steal his high bidders and your card would sell for more.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:14 PM
Shane

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
I didn’t think Dean’s Cards discounted that heavily.
You beat me to it!
Old 11-16-2020, 11:28 AM
J0hn Collin$

Not sure what the deal was with those '73 Kellogg's cards, but there are a surprising number of them that survived apparently in Mint or Gem Mint condition.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Not sure what the deal was with those '73 Kellogg's cards, but there are a surprising number of them that survived apparently in Mint or Gem Mint condition.
Since there is no emoji in your post, I'm going to take a chance and assume you're not being facetious.

It seems most people sent away for the full, perforated sets, so they just remained untouched and unhandled for decades in attics and closets. They didn't have that 3-D Kellogg's magic attached to them, so they were forgotten about. PSA 10's are ridiculously plentiful (and I know, because I'm trying to piece together a PSA 10 set).

Casey Stengel

Old 11-17-2020, 04:53 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Since there is no emoji in your post, I'm going to take a chance and assume you're not being facetious.

It seems most people sent away for the full, perforated sets, so they just remained untouched and unhandled for decades in attics and closets. They didn't have that 3-D Kellogg's magic attached to them, so they were forgotten about. PSA 10's are ridiculously plentiful (and I know, because I'm trying to piece together a PSA 10 set).
Right. It stands to reason I guess.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:14 PM
J0hn H@rper

I should've waited on this to get my '86 Fleer stickers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-86-Fle...S/324272400062