NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2022, 11:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
The difference is that when it comes to paying way up for an item, a deliberately created market shortage is not going to be considered the same by many (as one that happens from genuine supply/demand effects in a marketplace.)

Let's say a gas station buys out all the other gas stations in a remote area (and forces people with no other option to pay $10 a gallon when they'd normally pay $3.) Do you really think that station will be viewed the same by customers as if a $10/gallon price there was the result of a nationwide shortage that was out of their control?

Even if none of these situations panned out financially for the hoarder, that doesn't change the fact that it can cause people to pay way up for something that they wouldn't have had to otherwise.

And of course no one is entitled to buy a card for "x price they want". But wanting to avoid a price gouging situation that only exists because of malicious intent from one entity (and pay a reasonable market price for something)? That has nothing to do with any sort of unreasonable and selfish "name your price" entitlement
It's no more deliberate of a shortage than any other card being collected; everybody wants Willie Mays driving up his price. That is the result of deliberate buying by people. It's okay if a group drives up the price of X card, but not if it's one collector?

Nobody is hoarding odd cards and selling them back at triple the price. I am not aware of any example of this happening in hobby history where a hoarder hoarded a card and kept his hoard for sale one at a time at a higher price. Happy to stand corrected if an example can be found.

These hoarders don't seem to be doing it to price gouge - they do it because they want the card and value it more than others do. We've not yet been able to name a single card where it appears to be financially motivated. I fail to see how this is malicious intent; it's the same thing we all do for cards we want. We buy the cards we want. If there's more demand for X card than there is supply (or perception of supply, actual supply seems to have surprisingly little to do with it much of the time), it's price goes up on the market. I collect a card because I like it and it strikes my fancy, I don't see the maliciousness in this.

If I want a bunch of the same card, why should I not collect it? Why should I ensure it is available to you at the price you think it should be worth?
Old 05-19-2022, 12:16 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It's no more deliberate of a shortage than any other card being collected; everybody wants Willie Mays driving up his price. That is the result of deliberate buying by people. It's okay if a group drives up the price of X card, but not if it's one collector?

Nobody is hoarding odd cards and selling them back at triple the price. I am not aware of any example of this happening in hobby history where a hoarder hoarded a card and kept his hoard for sale one at a time at a higher price. Happy to stand corrected if an example can be found.

These hoarders don't seem to be doing it to price gouge - they do it because they want the card and value it more than others do. We've not yet been able to name a single card where it appears to be financially motivated. I fail to see how this is malicious intent; it's the same thing we all do for cards we want. We buy the cards we want. If there's more demand for X card than there is supply (or perception of supply, actual supply seems to have surprisingly little to do with it much of the time), it's price goes up on the market. I collect a card because I like it and it strikes my fancy, I don't see the maliciousness in this.

If I want a bunch of the same card, why should I not collect it? Why should I ensure it is available to you at the price you think it should be worth?
You keep conflating "collecting lots of a card cause I like it" with hoarding one w/ only the specific intent to drive price way up. Yes, I feel the latter is a different situation. And those are the spots I'm referring to.

No, the examples like Bartirome and the '57 Paul Smith from my link are not being done by people who just do it for the love of the game. Look at Cole Bartiromo's past. And as mentioned before, the Smith guy has been very vocal in FB groups about hoping to corner the market and drive the price up for a pump and dump.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:28 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
You keep conflating "collecting lots of a card cause I like it" with hoarding one w/ only the specific intent to drive price way up. Yes, I feel the latter is a different situation. And those are the spots I'm referring to.

No, the examples like Bartirome and the '57 Paul Smith from my link are not being done by people who just do it for the love of the game. Look at Cole Bartiromo's past. And as mentioned before, the Smith guy has been very vocal in FB groups about hoping to corner the market and drive the price up for a pump and dump.
Cole was an absolute nutter, but he doesn't seem to have seriously attempted to make money off his bizarre 1952 saga, unless there is a piece I am not aware of. He did like that card, he doesn't seem (again, I am happy to be corrected) to have sold off his collection even though he doesn't appear to be buying it anymore. He never reasonably stood a chance of making a profit even if it was all a very clever price fixing attempt with the prices he was paying.

Paul Smith is easily and readily available for normal pricing for a card from the SP series: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1. I don't know anything about this one but if this is what he is trying to do, he is completely failing and seems to not buy a great many of the cheap copies of this card.

Most hoarders are hoarding because they like that card and have a fun time seeing how many they can accumulate. I am still waiting an example of a hoard that led to a profit or could reasonably have been expected to lead to a profit for these hoarders. It costs the hoarder money to publicly hoard a card; it seems there are 0 cards identified where this alleged dick-move-price-fixing-for-profit has ever worked.

EDIT: You said "Hoarding anything in a marketplace at the expense of everyone else is a dick move." - that isn't exactly in line with your new position that doing it with intent to profit is terrible. It quite specifically specifies that any hoarding of anything for any reason is being a dick.

Last edited by G1911; 05-19-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:12 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
EDIT: You said "Hoarding anything in a marketplace at the expense of everyone else is a dick move." - that isn't exactly in line with your new position that doing it with intent to profit is terrible. It quite specifically specifies that any hoarding of anything for any reason is being a dick.
I realized that as well. But I did not take a "new position"; I just didn't clarify my original one enough at first. In that initial post, my mind was only on hoarding with intent to drive prices up (as my instinct was that those who just collect tons of the same card weren't apt to have a Bartiromo effect on the marketplace). I could be wrong about that though.

You could be right about Bartiromo, but you're wrong about the Smith guy. He owns hundreds of that card and his intent was clear. Again, just because he failed (or others failed) to cash in has nothing to do with my point about such an attempt's effect on the marketplace regardless. And the only reason Smith is easily available for a somewhat reasonable price now is because that hoarding attempt just ended. It wasn't like that prior in the last year or two; the dude would proudly state now and then that the cheapest one on ebay was $35 or $40 because of his actions.

Have a good night.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:41 AM
P@trick R.omolo

The person that was hoarding the Titus is a member but he doesn't post anymore.

The Pelty horizontal was semi-hoarded a few years ago and the prices increased a little but they eventually came back down.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:51 AM
Mike

Default Late as usual

Late to a thread as usual...

Add the T207 Hageman to the list of "relative(ly)" hoarded cards that are still affected price-wise. Not sure if that collecting is still active, but the $$ effect definitely lingers.

--
Mike
Old 05-19-2022, 09:04 AM
Larry More.y

There is a board member who actively collects one of the cards mentioned in the first post of this thread. A few years ago, I flat out asked him why he collected so many copies of this card. There is a reason, and I can assure you (based on his response) that it has nothing to do with hoarding a single card to create a market shortage. I appreciate his reason as it is a personal one for him and in no way does it appear his intent is to create a market shortage.