NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Elston Howard

(I'm back again with yet another attempt to showcase one of the significant players in the evolution of integrated major league baseball. Our star of this thread is:

Elston Howard. Catcher for the New York Yankees in 1955-1967. First black player to play for the New York Yankees. 1,471 hits and 167 home runs over 14 seasons. 12-time All-Star. 6-time World Series Champion. 1963 AL MVP. 2-time Gold Glove. New York Yankees #32 Retired. First black player to be AL MVP. Also played for the Kansas City Monarchs and the Boston Red Sox.

My plan is to make a daily post including an item from my collection with a portion of Elston's excellent SABR biography written by Cecilia Tan. I hope that you find Tan's treatment of Howard's long career interesting and would love to see any pieces involving him that may be part of your collection.

My Elston Howard collection, like his career, is spread out over many years. As a result, it will take us a while to complete the entire biography. As such, I apologize in advance to those readers who may chafe at the slow pace. At any rate, here we go.)

Elston Howard was born February 23, 1929, in St. Louis, Missouri, the son of Emmaline Webb and Travis Howard. A schoolteacher in Sikeston, Missouri, Emmaline fled to St. Louis when Howard, her principal, refused to marry her. She worked to become a dietician, and when Elston was 5 years old, she married Wayman “Big Poppy” Hill. Elston attended the Toussaint L’Ouverture school as well as the Mt. Zion Baptist Church. The church’s pastor, the Reverend Jeremiah M. Baker, became Elston’s godfather, and the boy was raised to work hard and eat right (thanks to his mother’s dietician’s know-how).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1947-66ExhibitsE.Howard2014Front.jpg (93.2 KB, 82 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
Bob Andrews

This is nice to see and I'm looking forward to more posts. I'm an Elston Howard collector as well. He was the first ballplayer I was able to meet in person. He had opened Elston Howard Travel in my hometown of Nutley, New Jersey. When it opened my best friend and I would walk by daily hoping for a glimpse of a major leaguer. One day a woman waved us into the offices and told us to come by that weekend. Sure enough, Elston was there and he signed pictures for us. The signature has faded quite a bit but I still treasure the photo.

btw...I hope you are okay with me posting in this thread. I'll remove this if you want.

IMG_0003 (2).jpg

Last edited by commishbob; Yesterday at 07:38 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Bob: Thanks very much for the images and the story. I am not only OK with you posting in this thread, but I am trying to encourage it. The more images and remembrances of Elston we can get posted the better. I look forward to your contributions as we work our way through his career.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
Chris Counts

Under different circumstances where Yogi Berra wasn't his teammate, he might have had an even more impressive career from a statistical standpoint. He was stuck in the minors so long fans picketed Yankee Stadium, and never played 100 games as a catcher until he turned 32. While the Hall of Fame's stubborn gatekeepers might cringe, he wouldn't be the worst catcher in Cooperstown.

Of all his cards, I like the 1958 Topps the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 587d67_1d38288dc65849bca6c8ff266e1bf8d9~mv2.jpeg (112.3 KB, 54 views)
Old Today, 03:25 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Elston Howard

(Chris: Thanks for the post and the nice 58T of Elston!)

In the summer of 1945, Howard, then 16, was playing baseball in a sandlot when Frank Tetnus “Teannie” Edwards approached him. “The biggest kid on the field was hitting the ball so hard and far that it made Teannie mad,” wrote Arlene Howard in her book Elston and Me. “When he got to the field he found out that the big kid was, in fact, one of the youngest on the lot.” Edwards, a former Negro Leagues player himself, helped run the St. Louis Braves and he wanted Elston. Convincing Emmaline was the hardest part. Edwards had to promise that young Elston would eat properly. On Easter Sunday 1946 (April 21), Howard debuted in the Tandy League, catching in a game against Kinloch. He had two hits and threw out two runners trying to steal second in a 5-4 loss.
Old Today, 08:17 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Under different circumstances where Yogi Berra wasn't his teammate, he might have had an even more impressive career from a statistical standpoint. He was stuck in the minors so long fans picketed Yankee Stadium, and never played 100 games as a catcher until he turned 32. While the Hall of Fame's stubborn gatekeepers might cringe, he wouldn't be the worst catcher in Cooperstown.

Of all his cards, I like the 1958 Topps the best.
One of the more underrated players of his era... shocking that if you asked the casual fan if they knew who Elston Howard is they would have no idea, despite the 12 AS appearances (really 9 though) and an MVP.

Also, I have surprisingly never seen that 58 Howard and it is one of my new favorites. Has to be the best looking card in the set and probably one of the better looking one of the 50s as a whole.