NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default 1940 Ga. Fla. League Baseball

I picked up this signed 1940 Ga. Fla. League baseball at an antique store that has 16 signatures. It has Official 97 League, Goldsmith and A.D. Walker Pres. I was able to make out all of the signatures (I think)but some are very hard to read. Is there any value to this D league ball? Thanks D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01073.jpg (71.8 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01067.jpg (69.3 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Depends on what names are on it, what team signed it, and the condition of the ball itself (looks like it has a couple of chunks out of the leather?). I usually wind up selling items like this to folks with an interest in the local teams and don't care so much about whether it's a D-level or AAA team, or sometimes there will be one standout name of a player who later hit it big in the majors.

It's kind of hard to tell anything from your photos though as they are so blurry. I can read the channel guide in the background better than I can any of the names on the ball
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM
N@te

Try to list some of the names and we can probably figure out the team.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Robbie Robertson
Erv Dusak
Glen Mouler
Stanley Ferens
Elmer Rummans
Dale Alexander
Pete Kendall
Bill Morrell
Stanley Wasiak
Cid Mckenzie
Mike Ulicny
Glen Moulder
Stanley Wysocki
Bill Taylor

Here is what I think the names are. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 10-11-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: change the Stanley name
Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Looks like a mixture of Georgia-based teams represented, which I don't think helps you value-wise. All of these guys played for various Georgia-Florida League teams in 1940:

Robbie Robertson - ?
Erv Dusak - Albany Cardinals (GA)
Glen Mouler - Americus Pioneers (GA)
Stanley Ferens - Albany Cardinals (GA)
Elmer Rummans - Valdosta Trojans (GA)
Dale Alexander - Thomasville Tourists (GA)
Pete Kendall - ?
Bill Morrell - Valdosta Trojans (GA)
Stanley Wasiak - Americus Pioneers (GA)
Cid Mckenzie - (Sherwood McKenzie? Thomasville Trojans)
Mike Ulicny - Thomasville Trojans (GA)
Glen Moulder - (repeated)
Stanley Wasiak (repeated)
Bill Taylor - Cordele Bees (GA)

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 10-11-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Dynarl Broughman

There are two Glens Mouler and Moulder. Stanley Wysocki was the other player. I did a little more research and three players made it to the majors. Ervan Frank " four sack" Dusak, Stanley Ferens and Glen Moulder. None were in the bigs very long. Thanks for the help cats pajamas.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 10-11-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Skip

With players from different teams, could this be a ball that was autographed at the league's All Star game that season?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Stan Wysocki - 1940 Cordele Bees (GA)

Couldn't find a Glen Mouler. Are you sure that Moulder didn't just sign the ball twice? Wouldn't be uncommon on multi/team-signed balls.

Something like an All-Star game was my first thought, but seems odd that only Georgia teams would be represented. Without having researched them, could these teams have shared some sort of spring training facilities or appeared in an exhibition somewhere in Georgia that the Florida teams wouldn't have travelled to?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Skip

Sounds reasonable, or it could be a fan's ball who would have players from different teams sign a ball for him/her. FWIW, the only Florida team in the league was Tallahassee, so could this be a ball from a Tallahassee fan?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default One more major leaguer . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Broughman View Post
There are two Glens Mouler and Moulder. Stanley Wysocki was the other player. I did a little more research and three players made it to the majors. Ervan Frank " four sack" Dusak, Stanley Ferens and Glen Moulder. None were in the bigs very long. Thanks for the help cats pajamas.
. . . don't forget about Dale Alexander too. Was labeled as a very good hitter, but a liability defensively.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 10-15-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:25 AM

Default Ga Fla League Ball

If you still have this ball, would you be interested in parting with it? How much damage is on the ball?
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:16 PM

The most valuable signature on the ball is that of Willard Morrell, Valdosta manager. Morrell had Major League stints with the Washington Senators in 1926 and the New York Giants in 1930-31.

In addition to a 17-year pro baseball career, Morrell also managed to squeeze in a long military career, with service in both WWI and WWII.

And, he was a rather notorious non-signer, at least through the mail, and given the fact that he lived until 1975, his autograph is much, much tougher than you might imagine it would be.

Last edited by Tom Hufford; 03-02-2021 at 09:17 PM.